ADVERTISEMENT

My Fear for Next Year

babe7671

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2003
TLDR for anyone who doesn't want to read my manifesto on the future below: I think we are in trouble in 23 and 24 if both Caleb and RJ come back next year. But if they leave I think 23 is a rebuilding year that's not great, while 24 could be a special season.

I've tried not to worry about next year throughout this season, but now I think it's time to start considering the future after the state loss. This isn't a fire Hubert thread because I think he needs time to work through growing as a coach, but I do have a huge concern for next season.

What in the world are we going to do with RJ and Caleb? If they both come back, we are going to be set back another season. I think they have both peaked and it doesn't go up from here. It just stays wildly inconsistent If they come back next year HD has shown he's going to "rock with them" (his own words) come hell or high water. We can take to the bank those guys will play 35+ mpg. That causes a lot of problems.

1) Dunn may decide to leave because he knows he won't ever eat into those minutes 2) If Wilcher stays committed, he gets set back a year. I'm a huge fan of sticking to your commitment, but if I'm Simeon and his parents and see Caleb and RJ are coming back, my palms and feet start getting sweaty thinking about next year. There's no evidence he will see meaningful minutes until he's a sophomore and then Cadeau arrives with Ian Jackson. 3) Speaking of Cadeau, that reclass is out the window. I don't think that's a huge deal, but something to keep an eye on (memories of GG Jackson creeping in...). 4) What in the world happens with Trimble? He hasn't looked great on offense this year, but he's a freshman playing random minutes whenever HD draws his stick from a cup on the bench. At least he brings effort and intensity. Can't say the same for some of the other guys. 5) I fully acknowledge next year will probably be bad without Caleb and RJ, BUT it will set up so much better for 2024. You'll have guys like Trimble, Wilcher, Dunn, and Nickel playing meaningful minutes and they will carry that experience into the 24 season and a class oozing with raw talent. I think that would be extremely beneficial.

I've personally made fun of Duke in the past for K forcing guys to transfer to make room for new players, but this feels like a situation where we actually need to move on from the upperclassmen. I know Hubert probably won't do it because he says over and over how important building relationships is to him and he loves these guys. My fear is that his love for these individual players is detrimental to the long term success of the Heels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News