ADVERTISEMENT

N.C BBQ

The bbq doesn’t seem quite as good and the sides have really went downhill IMO, your mileage may very.
I've been since he's died and haven't noticed anything. It's probably just a psychological thing for you. He's dead, so it has to be different.

Reactions: prlyles
I've been since he's died and haven't noticed anything. It's probably just a psychological thing for you. He's dead, so it has to be different.
Been twice since it reopened. Skylight has always been my all time favorite

Did Wilbur's change much when they closed, got bought & reopened? Recipe and menu, etc? That bypass means I don't go there anymore.

Last edited:
if you name a chain you either dont have enough NC BBQ experience or you're a moron 🤪

i've had BBQ in 68 of the 100 counties (and counting). my top 10:

10) Bears Smokehouse / Asheville
9) Stamey's / Greensboro
8) Mission BBQ / Wilmington
7) Sooey's / OBX
6) Parkers / Greenville
5) Sam Jones / Raleigh
4) Camel City / Winston Salem
3) The Smoke Pit / Gastonia
2) Q Shack / Durham
1) Phil's BBQ / Black Mtn (my favorite partly bc of their incredible mustard and Alabama white sauces)
Is Phil's the one with all the hats?

Reactions: bleeduncblue
Did Wilbur's change much when they closed, got bought & reopened? Recipe and menu, etc? That bypass means I go there anymore.
They added some new sides. That's all. Even the furniture from the 1600s is the same.

That's goes for most food. Ethnic foods may be a bit more of a challenge.
Only if you know what you are doing. I've found that most people who think they can do it better, can't do it better. Especially if they are talking about multiple dishes. Not saying that @ticket2ride04 is one of those people, just saying he would be the exception. Not the rule.

Reactions: uncboy10
Only if you know what you are doing. I've found that most people who think they can do it better, can't do it better. Especially if they are talking about multiple dishes. Not saying that @ticket2ride04 is one of those people, just saying he would be the exception. Not the rule.

Agreed. Especially when people try to do certain dishes without having the right tools for the job. BBQ is a perfect example of that

Reactions: tarheel0910

Agreed. Especially when people try to do certain dishes without having the right tools for the job. BBQ is a perfect example of that

we sure as hell are not going to take your word for something like that.
go to a bbq competition and you’ll taste the best stuff you’ve ever had. It’s very hard to replicate that in a restaurant setting for a variety of factors. Namely you are using an inferior product for mass production. I’m certain most of these pit masters will agree. Sam Jones can out cook me in the backyard but he can’t deliver that same quality in his restaurants.

go to a bbq competition and you’ll taste the best stuff you’ve ever had. It’s very hard to replicate that in a restaurant setting for a variety of factors. Namely you are using an inferior product for mass production. I’m certain most of these pit masters will agree. Sam Jones can out cook me in the backyard but he can’t deliver that same quality in his restaurants.
stop deflecting from the obvious. We've all been to backyard pig-pickin's and we've all had quality BBQ in the better restaurants. The challenge you issued is to beat what YOU can do in YOUR backyard. Well, obviously, we need to start with what you can do in your backyard.

We will wait patiently while you have the invitations printed.

• Haha
Reactions: ticket2ride04
stop deflecting from the obvious. We've all been to backyard pig-pickin's and we've all had quality BBQ in the better restaurants. The challenge you issued is to beat what YOU can do in YOUR backyard. Well, obviously, we need to start with what you can do in your backyard.

We will wait patiently while you have the invitations printed.
I'm thinking that @andrew jones just found the location for the next THI get together when one finally takes place. All give thanks to @ticket2ride04 in advance, lol.

In all seriousity, I do agree and have said before on these boards that the best BBQ I have had comes from backyard pig-pickin's. Even one's that aren't so expertly managed can be really good and better than restaurant Q.

And my highly influential friend George Dickel concurs.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
In all seriousity, I do agree and have said before on these boards that the best BBQ I have had comes from backyard pig-pickin's. Even one's that aren't so expertly managed can be really good and better than restaurant Q.

And my highly influential friend George Dickel concurs.
Some of my recent backyard conquests

I would consider professional competitors as part of that exception I mentioned. Pit masters aren't a large segment of the cooking population.

I had Stephenson's bbq near willow springs a few months ago and was impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT