ADVERTISEMENT

Nas Little gets rewarded with a nice 4 year 28 million extention in Portland.

dtodd4475

Hall of Famer
Jul 17, 2005
Glad to see Nas get a nice 2nd "sack". Battled some injuries in his 1st 10 million dollar 4 year deal, but he has developed well and gets 28 million for this 4 year extension. He is still only 22, will be featured much more, and will be an unrestricted FA at the prime age of 26. Stay healthy Nas, the future looks bright, but that present has to feel good with that extention too. GDTBATH

I will take this moment to legit cringe at the NBA pay scale. To put it succinctly, it disgust me what these guys get paid. Not $28 million over 4 years. That’s reasonable. That’s what Giannis and guys on that level should make. Especially when I read about a good NFL player making a salary of like $700k. And they actually play a far more popular and entertaining game and put their bodies at significant risk. The money in the NBA is grotesque and IMO, there’s not a player deserving of such. $28 million for a borderline starter on one of the worst teams in the league. Eeesh.

With that said, I guess good for Nas. Get while the getting is good. Does he come back to Chapel Hill in the summers? Just curious.

I will take this moment to legit cringe at the NBA pay scale. To put it succinctly, it disgust me what these guys get paid. Not $28 million over 4 years. That’s reasonable. That’s what Giannis and guys on that level should make. Especially when I read about a good NFL player making a salary of like $700k. And they actually play a far more popular and entertaining game and put their bodies at significant risk. The money in the NBA is grotesque and IMO, there’s not a player deserving of such. $28 million for a borderline starter on one of the worst teams in the league. Eeesh.

With that said, I guess good for Nas. Get while the getting is good. Does he come back to Chapel Hill in the summers? Just curious.
You can't really compare basketball and football because of roster size.

There are only about 380 or so players who are on payroll for the entire league, and that is counting a 15 man roster when 12 can dress I believe. Average length of a career for those who beat the odds and make it is around 3 years I think.

The league is at an all time high in revenue/profits. The workers get a 48% cut I believe, somewhere around 50 I think. When billions are being made, the workers cut for such a tiny amount of a highly competitive world wide sought after job is millions. It is only going to go up, the new media deals are going to be astronomical, and they are up soon, plus globally, Eurore, Asia, Australia, you name it they love the product. The pie is growing, thus the workers slice is growing as well.

There are only about 380 or so players who are on payroll for the entire league, and that is counting a 15 man roster when 12 can dress I believe. Average length of a career for those who beat the odds and make it is around 3 years I think.

The league is at an all time high in revenue/profits. The workers get a 48% cut I believe, somewhere around 50 I think. When billions are being made, the workers cut for such a tiny amount of a highly competitive world wide sought after job is millions. It is only going to go up, the new media deals are going to be astronomical, and they are up soon, plus globally, Eurore, Asia, Australia, you name it they love the product. The pie is growing, thus the workers slice is growing as well.

Pay the concessions workers and the ticket office workers more and the players less.

Pay the concessions workers and the ticket office workers more and the players less.
Good idea, the concessions do not go into the players salary though, that is only owners profit. Ticket sales do though, maybe they will give them a raise?

Good idea, the concessions do not go into the players salary though, that is only owners profit. Ticket sales do though, maybe they will give them a raise?
I stand corrected they do get a % on arena sales. They have a 50/50 split in revenue, but only 35% in revenue overage goes to players. That 35% is not given in direct payment though.

So the raise should be at 65/35 % cut from the profit overage, owners decide that. Guess they like their 65% of it, which they can hold and invest and still have some discretion on how to disperse the players 35% to them.

Last edited:
Or maybe change the business structure so the owners and players get a smaller percentage of the obscenely large pie and a greater cut goes to improving schooling, health, living conditions etc in poorer communities?

Or is that too much like communism?

Workers of America unite!

HotDiligentIndianpalmsquirrel-max-1mb.gif

Players should get paid as much as the market will bear! Owners should earn as much profit as their business models can support! This is the nature of our country. We live in a country founded on capitalism AND freedom/equality! That has nothing to do with the stadium and vendors paying their staffs a living wage. The concession/ticket takers/custodians/parking attendants/ etc should form a union and negotiate their piece of the pie just like the players did. It would only take the threat of one strike say near the playoffs or a marquee matchup for owners to cave and give them what they want!

Maybe I’m reading it wrong from you, but the $28M is the total, not per year. $7M/year for an NBA salary isn’t insane. The league makes billions in revenue.

Players should get paid as much as the market will bear! Owners should earn as much profit as their business models can support! This is the nature of our country. We live in a country founded on capitalism AND freedom/equality! That has nothing to do with the stadium and vendors paying their staffs a living wage. The concession/ticket takers/custodians/parking attendants/ etc should form a union and negotiate their piece of the pie just like the players did. It would only take the threat of one strike say near the playoffs or a marquee matchup for owners to cave and give them what they want!
As a lefty, I'm nevertheless inclined to agree. We aren't talking about national defense, or food safety or one of those things where letting the market handle it is a dubious approach.

OTOH, pro sports have anti-trust exemptions that we should probably take away, so that the market has a chance to really work in this arena. I don't know what sort of changes that might bring about, but it would be interesting to see.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT