ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Baseball Tournament thread

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Anybody watching the games? I've caught snippets of a few games, including Florida dismantling FSU and Virginia coming from behind late -- twice -- to crush Maryland's hopes and dreams. Have to admit I like watching the turtle suffer considering their ungracious exit from the conference.

I watched the moo/TCU game up until just before the collapse. I wish I had kept watching!

Saw a few snippets of Friday's UF/FSU game, but that was it. Haven't watched anything else, but I have been pretty busy. My youngest is in the middle of spring football workouts and summer baseball so my time is pretty much spent picking him up or going to a game. I am going to try to catch some of the games if I can. I like the new facility in Omaha, but I am really sad about them not keeping the old Rosenblatt. That place was great and I wish I could have been to a game there before it went away.

Nope. Louisville just lost inthe 11th inning 4-3. Cal St. Fullerton headed to the CWS.

Dang. 2 ACC teams is it this year.

I stopped watching the TCU/Tejas A&M game around midnight. Boy do I wish I had stayed up. Back and forth game that reminded me of the UNC/moo ACC Championship game a few years ago! Dang what a game!

TCU comes up with the win in the 16th on an error by the 3rd baseman. Hate to see a game end on an error like that, but credit the Horned Frogs 3B coach for sending his runner. Make them make a play was always my philosophy when I coached 3B. I sent everybody and if they got them out you tip your hat and go on. More likely than not they didn't, so I always went with the odds.

LOL! I think you may be right. He was probably figuring the worst that could happen would be another inning, best would be a mistake. Best happened!

I saw that throw after the bobble and I just knew he was out until it was off. I don't think the kid running thought he would make it either given the look on his face!

Reactions: Raising Heel
Haven't gotten to watch as many games as I would've liked -- not much at all, really -- but Florida is really taking it to Miami (again) in the loser's bracket. Beat them 15-3 in the opener and currently up 10-2 in the top of the 9th. Looks like it'll be Virginia and Florida there, with the Gators needing to win two straight against the Hoos.

Vandy is in the winner's bracket on the other side. We could very well have a Virginia-Vanderbilt championship rematch from last season. Without looking, I think the last time that happened was UNC vs. Oregon State in 2006 and 2007, both losses by the Heels. :(

Would really like to see the ACC finally break through here.

By the way, I think the college baseball postseason might be my favorite of all postseason formats. I love the double elimination round-robin format in the regionals and college world series, but the change-up with the best of three series in the super regionals and championship. So cool.

Watching TCU take it to LSU right now. The Tigers seem to be falling prey to the are problem Mike Fox did the first time we played in the big game - overthinking! They have burned through pitchers like mad and it hasn't produced much. TCU on the other hand stuck with their starter and he has settled in and pitched quite well.

Personally I am pulling for the Horned Frogs. I just like that team a lot and hope they win and can make it to the title game.

Oh well, looks like Vandy has punched their ticket to the finals. I was worried Florida might have too much for Virginia and they did. Elimination game today. I guess I will be pulling for the Wahoos from here on out, although I DO like Vandy. Still gotta pull for the ACC team to at least spoil and all SEC final.

We're gonna get that rematch from last year. I'm happy either way --- there weren't any teams down the stretch that I would've minded winning. LSU, TCU, UVA, Florida, and Vandy are all good in my book. Of course UVA winning would be nice to get that monkey off the ACC's back.

Should be a fun one. Just looked and Vanderbilt hasn't lost a game in the tournament yet, meaning they haven't played an elimination game either. That's impressive. It'll be important for the Hoos to start strong.

Can Virginia finally, finally, finally, finally, FINALLY get the ACC off the shnide?

And in doing so, they would make obsolete the ONLY thing Wake sports still has left of worth :cool:

Personally I would love to the UVa win it, but I think Vandy is going to be very tough for them to beat. Vandy has been really good in the post season and looks to be better than last year's squad top to bottom. UVa is really good, too, but they don't seem to have the offensive power they might need to beat Vandy. I hope I am wrong and they can get that monkey off the ACC's back.

Still, if Vandy were to win I won't be terribly upset. Good team, very good coach and they have some classy kids playing for them, too. Hard not to like that team.

Rubber match tonight. Hoos lead 4-2 B7.

One thing has become very clear watching the CWS this year. UNC simply didn't have the pitching it needed to meet preseason expectations. We had the pitchers, but not the results (if that makes any sense).

Was just looking back at the bracket. It's crazy to think that UVA trailed Maryland 3-0 in the 8th inning of their first game, but scored 5 runs in the 8th to win 5-3.

Then in the next game, the Hoos were down 4-2 to the Terps in the bottom of the 9th and scored 3 runs to win it.

You have to love any tourney where Moo U and Maryland both suffer crushing losses to end their seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT