ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska fires Pelini

Fedora offense + Pelini defense = playoff conender

never gonna happen though

Having Pelini would be awesome. It would bring some excitement back to the program but as someone already said it's not gonna happen.

how long you guys think pelini last with some of these fans and admin?

while i'd like to believe carolina is at the point that they are desperate enough to throw caution to the wind and hire a coach like this, they are not...they will play it safe and/or not pay big $$$ for the football program...jmho

You mean the same Pellini defense that gave up 400 yards rushing to the Wisky back?

Damn, I can't believe how completely you guys missed my point - Nebraska, please call Chapel Hill, set up an interview for your next coach!!!!

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
Would make a lot of sense for both parties if Nebraska gave Paul Johnson a call....
No telling how that search will go. Nebraska players have blown up on Twtter attacking the decision to fire Pelini, with some players suggesting the AD Eichorst is disloyal because he is a native of Wisconsin who also worked at UW and wants to replace Alvarez.

Eichorst was the AD at Miami for a year - he got that job via Wisconsin connections. A number of MIami fans had no faith in him, no trust, because they saw him as a product of Barry Alvarez who would always be loyal ultimately to his Wisconsin connections.

How willing would you be to have such an AD hire you?

Speaking of searches that might go in a weird way - reports that Florida is hot after Patriots OC Josh McDaniels. He last coached in college in 2000, and has only 2 years in college coaching. That was as a Grad assistant under Saban, not even as a position coach. He failed in a year and half as HC for the Broncos. The rest of his history is as Bellichek pet and Brady QB coach and OC.

Dare we wonder about Charlie Weis?

Is Nebraska still a top job? I'm not sure. They're a long time removed from their dominating years and frankly, outside of their history, what else does Nebraska have to sell to potential candidates? IMO, the Nebraska head football coach job has been relegated to the second tier. It's just not Florida, Bama, ND, OSU, OU, Texas, USC. It used to be. But not now.

In regards to them looking at Fedora, are people serious with these comments? Some of the posters here have mentioned Fedora for the Florida job and now the Nebraska job? Why on earth would any school be looking at Fedora? He's proven zilch. I'm not a Fedora hater, but let's be real here. He has underperformed at UNC with talent. He may be short on scholarships. But the players we have are better than what he and his staff have produced. He's also shown poor decision making in his selection of staff. And he's shown that he's not a top notch manager that's willing to make tough decisions - like sending guys packing that aren't producing. Plus, the way he handled the "hazing", the Romar Morris situation and the damage to the duke visitors lockerroom make it seem like he doesn't crack the whip on his players and let's them run amok. If I'm Nebraska, I don't even answer if Fedora called me.

Not serious about Nebraska looking at Fedora, just hoping someone will. Please, please.

On another note, does anyone recall that Paul Johnson desperately wanted to move to a moaor school when he was at Navy. His name was tossed around as a replacement for Bunting. I like to think where we would be today if he had come here.

Yeah, I know some of you don't like his offense, blah, blah, blah. However, how many ACC Championships have we played for? He's getting the job done at GT. As for him at Nebraska, could you imagine what he could do with those huge corn fed linemen and that running game of his.

Tarheelnation11.......you are dead on. I think it is a given that Nebraska is not the prime job that it used to be. Paul Johnson would be perfect with his offense out there. But I doubt he is enough of a sexy hire for them, though it would make sense.

Originally posted by olcoach04:
Tarheelnation11.......you are dead on. I think it is a given that Nebraska is not the prime job that it used to be. Paul Johnson would be perfect with his offense out there. But I doubt he is enough of a sexy hire for them, though it would make sense.
Why would Paul Johnson leave ATL? I'm not at all crazy about ATL but most people like it, right? I just can't see the guy wanting to leave a booming metropolis for the middle of no where when he wouldn't be taking a sizable step up. I think GT and Nebraska are pretty much on the same level these days. He'd be moving to an area with less high school talent. He'd be moving to an area with worse weather. He'd be moving to a school with higher (unrealistic) expectations.

Paul Johnson has it made in the shade in ATL. He'd be an idiot to leave for Nebraska.

we might need a coaching carousel thread.

i just heard that nebraska is trying to dump all their eggs into brett bielema at arkansas...his buyout is only $2.5 and he gets a shot at wisconsin.

better job, arkansas or nebraska?

Originally posted by gteeitup:

i just heard that nebraska is trying to dump all their eggs into brett bielema at arkansas...his buyout is only $2.5 and he gets a shot at wisconsin.

Considering what Bielema is building at Arkansas, I would say Arkansas. He had a team dominated by sophs and juniors with as many frosh as seniors playing, in the murderer's row SEC West that was in almost every game and shut out 2 Top 15 teams.

Would it be easier to win the division consistently at Nebraska? Probably. But the Big Ten is much less interesting than the SEC. Bielema has won the Big Ten. I think the SEC challenge is a huge motivation for him.

Yes, we do.

Great question.

Arkansas
Pros: Money, location, recruiting, conference prestige
Cons: Difficult division/conference

Nebraska
Pro: Tradition, money, easier division/conference
Con: Location, recruiting, expectations

I'd probably have to go with Arkansas as the better job, at least at the moment.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Yes, we do.

Great question.

Arkansas
Pros: Money, location, recruiting, conference prestige
Cons: Difficult division/conference

Nebraska
Pro: Tradition, money, easier division/conference
Con: Location, recruiting, expectations

I'd probably have to go with Arkansas as the better job, at least at the moment.
In what way do mean that Arkansas' location is a "pro"? Do you mean rich with high school talent? Or do you mean it's a happening area and a desirable place to live?

Mostly the former (close to fertile recruiting territory), a little of the latter (Fayetteville).

It's a smallish college town with lots of outdoor pursuits nearby, for people who like that sort of thing. Bielema seems to be one of those people considering how hard he works on his tan:

Bret-Bielema-topless-2.jpg

I went to Fayetville for a baseball tournament when I was in HS, there is not a single thing desirable about the location.

Mike Riley????

Dude is as old as TOB when we hired him. TOB 2.0. He'll get them big wins and lots of WTF losses.

Once again Nebraska swings and misses.

One of the guys on our board pointed out Craig Bohl- they guy that built NDSU- A Nebraska guy! He is now at Wyoming, granted The Pokes didn't do so hot in his first year. Would have been a perfect fit.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Originally posted by Raleigh2Miami:
Mike Riley????

Dude is as old as TOB when we hired him.
Also older than Tom Osborne when he retired from Nebraska.
And while Riley did a superb job at Oregon State considering what it is, he is less successful than Pelini was at Nebraska.

It is a head scratcher of a hire.

Nebraska grad Scott Frost (QB of undefeated 1997 half-Nartional Champs) is the Oregon OC. You would think Nebraska would have seen more upside in Frost than Riley.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

Nebraska grad Scott Frost (QB of undefeated 1997 half-Nartional Champs) is the Oregon OC. You would think Nebraska would have seen more upside in Frost than Riley.
Interesting and yeah, I agree. Weird.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT