ADVERTISEMENT

No fly zone?

Would you support the US helping to enforce a no fly zone over Ukraine?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
I might support it only if NATO was driving (or at least it appears like NATO is driving) the show.

A no fly zone would rapidly escalate this situation. Putin might just decide to send ballistic missiles instead of fighter jets at that point. Those are almost impossible to intercept and there's no telling what kind of nastiness they might be carrying.

A no fly zone would rapidly escalate this situation. Putin might just decide to send ballistic missiles instead of fighter jets at that point. Those are almost impossible to intercept and there's no telling what kind of nastiness they might be carrying.
I agree that Putin could decide to do that, but would someone actually push the button? I'm not sure he would have the military support to do that. Between the Russian economy being destroyed and him threatening to kill any Russian protester, I'm not sure how much support he would really have. A military coup seems more likely at this point.

I agree that Putin could decide to do that, but would someone actually push the button? I'm not sure he would have the military support to do that. Between the Russian economy being destroyed and him threatening to kill any Russian protester, I'm not sure how much support he would really have. A military coup seems more likely at this point.

That’s a good point. I guess it would come down to how insulated that chain of command is.

A military coup would not surprise me at all. Especially given the fact that the new regime would almost certainly have short term international support if it means outing Putin.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Far too risky to impose a no fly zone. I understand why Zelesnky wants one but this is about the long game here. Cripple the Russian economy and their ability to wage war, continue arming the Ukrainians to the teeth. Eventually, I think either Putin is removed or Ukraine is able to make it too painful for the Russians to continue the fight.

So apparently there is a chance Russia might launch a large cyber attack against us. Does that qualify as an act of war? Would it depend on what they go after? If so, does NATO go after Russia and basically start WWIII?

Will probably only be a "small incursion".
It should be clear by now that NATO is willing to go after Putin. It wouldn't be the first time we or other NATO countries have been impacted by a cyber attack, just not at a widespread scale. If Russia hits our power grid, would NATO say that's an act of war? Are we at a point in society where cyber warfare is at the same level as physical warfare? I would think at some point it becomes the same level.

Reactions: nctransplant
So apparently there is a chance Russia might launch a large cyber attack against us. Does that qualify as an act of war? Would it depend on what they go after? If so, does NATO go after Russia and basically start WWIII?
If they touch the DNC emails servers then it absolutely an act of war and we'll get nato to retaliate.

Reactions: bluetoe
I'm thinking if they go after the power grid and other utilities, NATO is going to have to step up even more. Not just more sanctions, but return the cyber attacks and probably put troops in Ukraine. Not going directly into Russia could possibly stop a bigger war.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I saw some photos this AM from Ukraine that told just how badly the invasion is going for the Russian troops on the ground. Piles of blackened, burned bodies of Russian soldiers stacked in the snow. The report I saw estitmated from 6 to 12k fatalities.

I saw some photos this AM from Ukraine that told just how badly the invasion is going for the Russian troops on the ground. Piles of blackened, burned bodies of Russian soldiers stacked in the snow. The report I saw estitmated from 6 to 12k fatalities.
doesn't seem right giving this a like somehow but there it is anyway. ...not for dead Russians but for the info.

doesn't seem right giving this a like somehow but there it is anyway. ...not for dead Russians but for the info.
Yeah, there have been several topics/threads when I thought they needed a button for agree or thanks without it being a like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT