ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Iowa vs UNC in the Bahamas game thread Wednesday 22 November 2023

Ryan is playing too many minutes given his lack of production. More Withers and less Ryan would be wise.

Northern Iowa getting basically whatever they want offensively if they don't turn the ball over.

RJ and Ryan missing a ton of open 3's. We simply need those two to make those shots.

We really need to stop shooting the 3 ball off the dribble, lol.

Reactions: thompsjj and RP12
Ryan is playing too many minutes given his lack of production. More Withers and less Ryan would be wise.
I don't want to overreact dudes missing wide open shots. That means that the offense was effective. They just need to make some shots.

This is more about Cadeau to me anyway.

Interesting not to sub in Bacot on the last offensive possession in the first half.... Instead, our SF/PF tries a straight line drive into traffic from the 3PT arc, lol.

Northern Iowa very experienced with 90 percent of the team from last year back shooting 60 percent from the field in the first half. Their Princeton type offense so far is slicing and dicing up Carolina’s defense…

Pathetic… you can blame the seniors but this is again on Hubert. He simply is overmatched against well coached teams.

— We need to make shots… we are getting good shots, sometimes… we just can’t make anything
— RJ Davis, this may be his worse game I have seen him play
— Why should Bacot work to post when they aren’t even looking at him
— We can’t rebound
— I think the frustration is we can see what we can/could/should be… but still are not

Interesting not to sub in Bacot on the last offensive possession in the first half.... Instead, our SF/PF tries a straight line drive into traffic from the 3PT arc, lol.
Bacot has 2 fouls, and 1 of them came on the offensive end. I agree with keeping him on the bench.

Withers turned the ball over every time he tried to drive at Louisville. No reason he should be attempting to drive.

BTW, Washington has been terrible on both ends of the floor. Too weak to rebound or get post position. Too slow the defend the perimeter. I'd probably go small and play Withers at the 5 instead, since UNI's center is always on the perimeter.

Reactions: ThunderBox
3 for 13 from 3. Outrebounded. 7 turnovers. Not a recipe for sucess.

Mando needs to avoid picking up fouls in the 2nd half. Get on the glass to start transition game. Northern Iowa doing a good job guarding our point after makes to slow down after makes.

Getting schooled by a team not ranked in the top 100. Pretty much what I’d expect from this coaching staff.

Random thoughts on the first half:

• Jimmy Dykes is still a goober and will never grow out of it.

• UNI is experienced and fundamentally sound, and to quote Seth "Uncle Fester" Greenberg: "they test your defensive fundamentals" with their play.

• Our defensive fundamentals have been lacking this half: I've seen guys not in a stance, not talking, taking lazy swipes at the ball.

• I'm asking for trouble here, but the reason EC isn't starting (yet) is because he can't shoot from the perimeter and his size is a defensive liability.

• Yes, RJ has been stinking it up and UNI is ready for Bacot with quick double teams. But I still feel better when those two are on the floor.

• GO HEELS! Win the 2nd half!

Last edited:
BTW, Washington has been terrible on both ends of the floor. Too weak to rebound or get post position. Too slow the defend the perimeter. I'd probably go small and play Withers at the 5 instead, since UNI's center is always on the perimeter.
He was very slow off the floor on rebounds. Hopefully Mando stays out of foul trouble in the 2nd half and we reestablish control of the glass.

2 fouls on Bacot.

Ryan can't shoot.

RJ Davis playing like he has a hangover.

Cadeau has only played one stretch so far.

UNI in the bonus thanks mainly to High's fouls.

Trimble has provided nothing as a starter.
Going to be a long year I'm afraid

Looks like this would be a good time to make a few lineup changes for the better. Put in a Withers for Ryan and start Cadeau with Davis in the backcourt. Have Ingram continue to post down low instead of shooting threes.

3 for 13 from 3. Outrebounded. 7 turnovers. Not a recipe for sucess.

Mando needs to avoid picking up fouls in the 2nd half. Get on the glass to start transition game. Northern Iowa doing a good job guarding our point after makes to slow down after makes.
We also can't run as much when we don't get stops. But we missed a few 3's we should be making even in the halfcourt.

Always looks worse than it does when you can't make shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT