ADVERTISEMENT

Note To Roy Detractors

ReelDealHeel

Freshman
Nov 13, 2014
While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, I fundamentally and completely disagree with those who are calling for UNC to move in another direction with its program. I read one person who commented something like, "I wonder what Mark Few or Tony Bennett could do with the current talent on the UNC roster?" While it is fine to wonder about such things, the facts prove that while those two coaches are two of the hottest names in coaching today, they would not out-perform Ole Roy. Few currently holds a respectable 432-101 mark while Tony Bennett has accumulated a 201-94 record. Bennett is 132-61
at Charlottesville. Roy Williams has a 743-199 record with a 325-98 mark coming in Chapel Hill. What does EVERY program in the country strive for each and every year? National Championships. Only 12 current NCAA coaches have led teams to the pinnacle of the sport. They are Coach K (4), Steve Fisher, Tubby Smith, Rick Pitino (2), Billy Donovan (2), Kevin Ollie, John Calipari, Bill Self, Jim Boeheim, Larry Brown, Tom Izzo and Roy Williams (2). Coach Williams has won both of his National Championships while at his alma mater. It is worthy to note that both Bennett and Few are not on the list of coaches who have won National Championships. So, what about the idea that Roy Williams can't recruit the players that he once did? How fleeting are the memories of past recruiting classes? In the last recruiting class, Coach Williams gained the commitment from three McDonald's All Americans. Theo Pinson, Joel Berry and Justin Jackson have each played a prominent role. Pinson is currently injured. While Mark Few currently has former Kentucky McDonald's All-American Kyle Wiltjer on his roster, most of us would struggle to name players who have donned the Bulldogs uniform who have been in that category. Has Tony Bennett EVER coached a McDonald's All American? While it is easy to say, "They haven't had the level of talent that UNC has and look what they have done," let's think about that. Gonzaga plays in a conference that is much more easily navigated. Still, it has not led to the much desired National Championship. While Bennett has done a fine job at Virginia, his team hasn't reached that point either. On top of this, Bennett will find it difficult to lure the talent that every Tar Heel fan pines for due to the- shall we say- deliberate style the Wahoos play on offense. If Roy Williams can win 743 games with 325 of those at UNC, win 2 National Championships and have his program in the Top 25 yet have its fans calling for another coach, I say, "What is it that another coach could accomplish that Roy Williams hasn't already accomplished and can't still accomplish as coach of our beloved Heels?" If fans take the current view that they have, who would want to take the job as the next UNC coach? I wouldn't. Not only are you following in the footsteps of one of the all-time greats in college basketball, but you are staring at a fan base that very little appreciation of its coach in spite of what the facts say.

This post was edited on 2/26 10:50 PM by ReelDealHeel

This post was edited on 2/26 10:53 PM by ReelDealHeel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News