ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating continues to boggle the mind

SeaHawk98

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2003
What another great game yesterday. Back and forth battle by two good teams. Last week against Pitt was first game of the year where I thought the officials did a good job. I can't recall any really bad calls. Yesterday, back to it on some calls against UNC that just appear to be completely wrong. The spot on 3rd down in the first half. Why was that not reviewed or at least challenged. And then there was the safety that almost decided the game. The FSU QB was clearly continuing to move backwards. If that was not a safety, the ball should have been at the one inch line, not the freaking 2 yard line. They reviewed that play. I don't get how these morons keep their jobs.

What another great game yesterday. Back and forth battle by two good teams. Last week against Pitt was first game of the year where I thought the officials did a good job. I can't recall any really bad calls. Yesterday, back to it on some calls against UNC that just appear to be completely wrong. The spot on 3rd down in the first half. Why was that not reviewed or at least challenged. And then there was the safety that almost decided the game. The FSU QB was clearly continuing to move backwards. If that was not a safety, the ball should have been at the one inch line, not the freaking 2 yard line. They reviewed that play. I don't get how these morons keep their jobs.
Horrible spot, that was a first down. And there is zero doubt that the QB was running backwards and that the ball broke the plane before he was down. I don't think there's a conspiracy against UNC but the officiating continues to be sub par every freakin' year!

BTW, was that Cabrera or Bell who roughed the kicker? Cabrera, right? Both are listed as wearing #18. We should never have attempted to block that punt, just a stupid play.

Horrible spot, that was a first down. And there is zero doubt that the QB was running backwards and that the ball broke the plane before he was down. I don't think there's a conspiracy against UNC but the officiating continues to be sub par every freakin' year!

BTW, was that Cabrera or Bell who roughed the kicker? Cabrera, right? Both are listed as wearing #18. We should never have attempted to block that punt, just a stupid play.
after the roughed punter , we didn't even slow down their offense the rest of the game. It was a big mistake. I don't see officiating getting any better , I mean who in their right mind wants to be running around on a field with elite athletes who are 1/3 of their age and taking the chance of getting steamrolled by them.

after the roughed punter , we didn't even slow down their offense the rest of the game. It was a big mistake. I don't see officiating getting any better , I mean who in their right mind wants to be running around on a field with elite athletes who are 1/3 of their age and taking the chance of getting steamrolled by them.
I believe that was the same crew that did last year's Duke Miami game and screwed us in the acc title game

Huge momentum swing. It put our defense back on the field after we had stopped them and were going to get the ball back in pretty good field position. Then our defense just wore down and couldn't stop them. If we get the ball there and score, it changes the whole tenor of the game.

Huge momentum swing. It put our defense back on the field after we had stopped them and were going to get the ball back in pretty good field position. Then our defense just wore down and couldn't stop them. If we get the ball there and score, it changes the whole tenor of the game.

Yeah, that is kinda the thing with our defense, they wear down and especially when teams pound us running the ball and then we don't have the pass rush to slow a good QB down. And I do think at times our offense puts our defense in difficult situations, we amp up the pace on offense and when they go 3 and out not sure our defensive guys have enough time to recover before they have to march back out and not sure we have the depth across the line and at the backer spots to bring in the fresher legs.

That running in to the kicker was double tuff, defense stood and was about to be able to catch their breathe and wham, they have to go back out there, not to mention the great field position our offense should have had from that punt.

Horrible spot, that was a first down. And there is zero doubt that the QB was running backwards and that the ball broke the plane before he was down.
The spot was questionable and should've been reviewed.

The non-safety call was correct. Francois was moving laterally at the 2-yard line when Carney hit him and drove him backwards. By rule, his forward progress was stopped and the replay crew made the correct determination. I had no problem with the call.

I believe that was the same crew that did last year's Duke Miami game and screwed us in the acc title game
Three common officials across all three games.

Miami @ dook
Referee: Jerry Magallanes; Umpire: Terrence Ramsay; Linesman: Mike Owens; Line judge: Jim Slayton; Back judge: Robert Luklan; Field judge: Bill Dolbow; Side judge: Michael McCarthy; Center judge: Tracy Lynch;

ACC Championship Game
Referee: Jeff Heaser • Umpire: Mike Wooten • Linesman: Matt Fitzgerald • Line judge: Rich Misner • Back judge: Bryan Platt • Field judge: Harry Tyson • Side judge: Jerry Hocker • Center judge: Tyrone Anderson •

UNC @ FSU
Referee: Jeff Heaser; Umpire: Marvin Wilson; Linesman: Joseph Griesser; Line judge: Richard Misner; Back judge: Jacques Hooper; Field judge: Conor Cloughert; Side judge: Gerald Hocker; Center judge: Steve Disangro;

Last edited:
The spot was questionable and should've been reviewed.

The non-safety call was correct. Francois was moving laterally at the 2-yard line when Carney hit him and drove him backwards. By rule, his forward progress was stopped and the replay crew made the correct determination. I had no problem with the call.

Only two common officials across all three games.

Miami @ dook
Referee: Jerry Magallanes; Umpire: Terrence Ramsay; Linesman: Mike Owens; Line judge: Jim Slayton; Back judge: Robert Luklan; Field judge: Bill Dolbow; Side judge: Michael McCarthy; Center judge: Tracy Lynch;

ACC Championship Game
Referee: Jeff Heaser • Umpire: Mike Wooten • Linesman: Matt Fitzgerald • Line judge: Rich Misner • Back judge: Bryan Platt • Field judge: Harry Tyson • Side judge: Jerry Hocker • Center judge: Tyrone Anderson •

UNC @ FSU
Referee: Jeff Heaser; Umpire: Marvin Wilson; Linesman: Joseph Griesser; Line judge: Richard Misner; Back judge: Jacques Hooper; Field judge: Conor Cloughert; Side judge: Gerald Hocker; Center judge: Steve Disangro;

Gerald & Jerry Hocker could very well be the same person. After all, it was the side judge with the HORRIBLE call in the ACCCG.

Reactions: Raising Heel
We got that first down on 3rd, and I believe AGAIN on 4th down. Neither spot gave us forward progress. Oddly, progress was only considered in overturning the safety we scored. There is ZERO doubt their QB was still on his feet with the ball in the end zone.

Not mentioned in this thread are the 2 MASSIVE, Obvious Out-In-The-Open, Unmissable holds on the play after our Safety was reversed, and on the big pass to the FSU RB that also ended up with us getting an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty tacked on. In both of those plays, egregious uncalled holds by FSU linemen were the only thing preventing a sack, and possible caused fumble by our #45, Mikey Bart. A correct call in either of those situations and I think maybe FSU doesn't even score to take the lead.

To the refs credit, you could have knocked me over with a feather when they called interference on FSU that gave us a crack at a FG. To say I was surprised would be a huge understatement.

Another sore spot. The rule states a standard of "indisputable video evidence" in order to overturn a call on the field. CLEARLY this call was an opinion based call, and the opinion of the official on the field wrt forward progress should have taken precedence.

The spots on a number of downs seemed, in my biased opinion, more favorable to the FSU team. And I have never seen a coach on the field bellyaching as much as Jimbo. Poor Jimbo, refs made a call against his precious team....give me a break.
The safety was a safety, homer call if there ever was one.
As to the pass interference late prior to our kick, the defender did interfere riding all over the receiver and since they made an interference call to favor FSU on an uncatchable, it make sense to call one on them.
Had our big 'ol tight end made his catch at the five yard line and had we made the blocked point after, we'd have won anyway.
As always with FSU, seems they have a great many players that perfect the chippy cheap plays. Then act like choir boys.

We got that first down on 3rd, and I believe AGAIN on 4th down. Neither spot gave us forward progress. Oddly, progress was only considered in overturning the safety we scored. There is ZERO doubt their QB was still on his feet with the ball in the end zone.

Not mentioned in this thread are the 2 MASSIVE, Obvious Out-In-The-Open, Unmissable holds on the play after our Safety was reversed, and on the big pass to the FSU RB that also ended up with us getting an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty tacked on. In both of those plays, egregious uncalled holds by FSU linemen were the only thing preventing a sack, and possible caused fumble by our #45, Mikey Bart. A correct call in either of those situations and I think maybe FSU doesn't even score to take the lead.

To the refs credit, you could have knocked me over with a feather when they called interference on FSU that gave us a crack at a FG. To say I was surprised would be a huge understatement.

Another sore spot. The rule states a standard of "indisputable video evidence" in order to overturn a call on the field. CLEARLY this call was an opinion based call, and the opinion of the official on the field wrt forward progress should have taken precedence.

I don't believe this play was subject to video review. IIRC, the video review can only be used to review a possession dispute or a marking of the ball at the end of the play (did the runner step out of bounds, or did the receiver actually have possession of the ball before losing same).

Y'all know we won right?

Also, the Hood third down no-first-down wasn't reviewed because Fedora didn't ask for a review. This isn't a new thing. Fedora has failed to challenge on many, many, many "should be challenged" plays. Whoever on staff is in charge of getting in Larry's ear and telling him he needs to challenge, should be kicked in the pants.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Y'all know we won right?

Also, the Hood third down no-first-down wasn't reviewed because Fedora didn't ask for a review. This isn't a new thing. Fedora has failed to challenge on many, many, many "should be challenged" plays. Whoever on staff is in charge of getting in Larry's ear and telling him he needs to challenge, should be kicked in the pants.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

Personally, I thought there were several missed calls, going both ways. IOW, a typical poorly officiated game in the ACC. Business as usual.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

Personally, I thought there were several missed calls, going both ways. IOW, a typical poorly officiated game in the ACC. Business as usual.
Reviews can come from the booth but it's a grey area. The onus still falls on coaches to initiate a challenge usually. Fedora often doesn't.

As for the officiating, there were no egregious penalties at all. The no safety call was correct.

Reactions: Raising Heel

that play happened in a wide open area where everyone, including the cameras, could see it so a no call wasn't possible...

he dragged/pushed Hollins to the ground and it was so obvious that flags flew from more than one direction although the phony little bastage actually tried to pretend he was disappointed because he had done nothing...

to his discredit, Jimbo actually complained about it in his post game presser although you can be sure there will be no complaint to the league office about that one!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT