ADVERTISEMENT

Old Photos - A thread we can all enjoy

ticket2ride04

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 13, 2004
This has been a routine installment on the Main Board which I lifted to place here.

The Kennedy family children, 1928
oP1iFKTHwdmvew0EBFmdcp2so4D0NRrmcFlyLisZFHk.jpg

Future President Gerald Ford with teammate Willis Ward at the University of Michigan in 1934. Ford threatened to quit the team when Ward was benched for a game against Georgia Tech, who at the time refused to play against black players.
LBHwLFk84ZQQzBvKVPmU-Od_UlDpX4Hms_sv7EBONds.jpg

Mercury, a daytime streamliner passenger train operating between midwestern cities. Chicago, 1936
V8B2V2zswSnryVTIO7cWlD-kJnah9lZAW70XlILi_8E.jpg

Harriet Tubman in 1911 at age 89
Harriet_Tubman_late_in_life3.jpg

Elaine Reynolds, Miss October 1959
O3Oje9Q.jpg

Leonardo DiCaprio and his parents, 1976
WKDvKdg9MxozUzoQxHSW_kX5xuS6PLcw5d_YJEE9FqQ.jpg

Woman relaxing in her living room (1920, Sweden)
nDzcypF.jpg

Woman cutting her birthday cake in Tehran, Iran 1973
h0qMxivC-DR8le0tFyGq1RbfUs99eig6Jxa0F8_6-WA.jpg

National Woman’s Party marching in Washington D.C. May 21, 1922
A3LofNS.jpg

Helen Keller, the first deaf and blind person to earn a bachelor of arts degree, photographed sitting down in Looe, Cornwall, UK on 6th May 1932
NmCxnJ5ztEr9g84eqcDc-bcLtr7V3gxB7wqYaAldMLE.jpg

There’s cool. And then there’s “Macho Man sitting on the pier with his Championship Belt” kind of cool. (1988)
nvQgICDeGZm-YUZyNgRxxxl0zZRgvSKl65J3TBbAWGw.jpg

Traffic Signal – Fifth Avenue and 34th Street, NYC, 1922
tFVnmeX.jpg

The models of the "American Gothic" painting
DgdXYdqU0AEeKrl.jpg

Girls in 1972
NkCniguMbMbM5TTP0L_0xOF0yJ9bkG77EgmzeHkdVnc.jpg

French girl speeding on a scooter, 1984
V3iPor1wh--kScvXPzXsx92icl3XgdHjZhhkYxPyiAQ.jpg

Roberta Vasquez, Miss November 1984
JUjnqiu.jpg

RMS Queen Elizabeth bringing American troops back home, New York harbour 1945
eid8pA7.jpg

President Roosevelt, 1904
fuxCf61p_mvwDkRW18ulEDvwXyFjhBlnmUISqyJY4y8.jpg

Los Angeles summer fashion along Rodeo Drive, 1953
5C4ow-DKV18I6ddbbmk9oDqAVPuqJlvr7z56d9mGGR0.jpg

1939: Last Person to be Publicly Executed in France
Last_execution_by_guillotine_1.jpg

Broadway and 46th, New York City (1949)
0Bsx4pg.jpg

Same view today
mm5qDmH.jpg

Young Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman 1973
xvHSGtET4JPydvs-HSqiUeRDTe3oocUq5SiVdMe1wzM.jpg

The last photograph of Franklin D. Roosevelt, taken at Warm Springs, Georgia, 11th April 1945, he passed away the next day, just 11 weeks after into his fourth term
zkGOkOPpLDp_F2ekJ_v41YY2R0ni92_T87LMIj33_I0.jpg

1914 - Young Adolf Hitler celebrating the announcement of World War One
DgVn1h6XkAAolp8.jpg:large

Gig Gangel, Miss January 1980
ACtWxTE.jpg

Keshia Thomas protects a racist from being attacked by a mob: moments earlier she had been protesting the KKK group this man was a part of, but when he became a target she threw herself over him to shield him from the blows. (1996)
LVJi-kotvk5xYH2ZqAUKlT4ZoLk_TOxud3dpkCHl7FA.jpg

Hank Williams singing to his son Hank Williams Jr. (1949)
pu5SfTIwsA-r0372xfDyBxY_KIrexVCHwDAMlF-X9Xk.jpg

34 years ago today Purple Rain was released by Prince on 06-25-1984
VoEc8pjpM3juvt3CwxNf_abbUhQpyYU3kMwy7WgzLwA.jpg

December 1936. "Housing for poor and lower income groups. Washington Avenue, Bronx, New York."
SHORPY-8b28410a.jpg

Dorothy Counts – The First Black Girl To Attend An All White School In The United States – Being Teased And Taunted By Her White Male Peers At Charlotte’s Harry Harding High School, 1957
2DPXosywV7RWsLeoCZpDnmVmp9Lc3Y6TYVsVBwdPYck.png

Tattoo parlor late 1930s
xxOlAHg.jpg

Woman beating neo-Nazi with handbag, Sweden, 13th April 1985.
NGv6Xvbhh7dmEJaSw4S_sgGPOQlYjB9NnwUlh_9pEUY.jpg

Sharry Konopski, Miss August 1987
0W0iIh7.jpg

Aerial photograph of Edinburgh (circa 1920’s when aerial photography was still in its infancy)
xZPoOYB6GQsnSeaAJ4y2sBjZyGXFrf3oDMyNqUVqdyY.jpg

1970’s Geography student
3OwBt7Qd0G16EKvD_kKCiy2kxVj-dzG81SuxoR3s8q0.jpg

5 generation photo. Astoria, Oregon 1931
kOsCzQXMtN7EWZ-OWD5qvYvwAq6QBUmNZTtqY40V6zs.jpg

Jack Black, 1982
oFuWgXI.jpg

American casualties lying on stretchers aboard a landing craft, awaiting evacuation, Munda Point, New Georgia, Solomon Islands, 12 Jul 1943
luD3Vc5C4fjUgXZLva99Dlxx_YGXnX9aXrj86yfFakE.jpg

4.5 star thread. Would have been a 5 star if you had actually thought it up. But we’re desperate for a good thread so kudos to you ticket.

Old photos are so cool to look at. They’ve always been cool to look at but especially in the post-digital age. I think we sometimes forget how much went into taking a neat picture pre-digital. You couldn’t just take a burst of 30 pics and then sort it out later. You had limited chances. You either got the picture you wanted or you didn’t. There was no “hold on, let me look at it...oops, my eyes are closed in this one, let’s take another.” Being a photographer pre-digital was so much cooler than being one now.

I remember getting film developed and the anticipation you felt on your way to the drug store to pick up your pics. That was fun. And you typically had a roll of 24 exposures and you knew a few were going to have part of the photographer’s thumb and then another one or two just would t come out. So we were left with about 20 pics that you hoped were what you wanted.

Now every picture is a perfect picture. Perfection is boring.

4.5 star thread. Would have been a 5 star if you had actually thought it up. But we’re desperate for a good thread so kudos to you ticket.

Old photos are so cool to look at. They’ve always been cool to look at but especially in the post-digital age. I think we sometimes forget how much went into taking a neat picture pre-digital. You couldn’t just take a burst of 30 pics and then sort it out later. You had limited chances. You either got the picture you wanted or you didn’t. There was no “hold on, let me look at it...oops, my eyes are closed in this one, let’s take another.” Being a photographer pre-digital was so much cooler than being one now.

I remember getting film developed and the anticipation you felt on your way to the drug store to pick up your pics. That was fun. And you typically had a roll of 24 exposures and you knew a few were going to have part of the photographer’s thumb and then another one or two just would t come out. So we were left with about 20 pics that you hoped were what you wanted.

Now every picture is a perfect picture. Perfection is boring.

This is a startling response from you. I thought you would point him to the RPT.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Old photos are like old music. Without the little imperfections, art becomes sterile.

@ticket2ride04

That was the most interesting hodgepodge of choices for pictures.

Less-than-happy footnote: Sharry Konopski was in an accident that left her a paraplegic and just died last year. It's one of those weird things I know. I had the August 87 Playboy she was featured and she was born about a month before me. She was in a bad car accident in 1995 and posed again after the accident, but I don't remember when.

But... now... more old photos:

I saw some Civil War photos recently that had been retouched to color:

eXjTefP.jpg

1455802260_1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

show-images-Blood-Glory-The-Civil-War-In-Color1.jpg

1a18f05e83d4a2f8999f3de4776c3af4.jpg

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Lately, I have enjoyed looking at old photos. They send me a unique vibe and clearly bring me to the past. Sometimes it's pretty impressive. Since I was a child, I admired photo shooting and all kinds of photos. Recently, I began to take online photo courses. I also selected a special space from www.aperfectspace.com, where I made my first official photo shoot. I would say that this website is fantastic if you search for a beautiful and amazing place for shootings. You can check your website for a better view.

Last edited:
Its crazy. People have come a long way

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Proverb. the more things change, the more they stay the same. Turbulent changes do not affect reality on a deeper level other than to cement the status quo. A change of heart must accompany experience before lasting change occurs.

Never fear... I've come prepared!

Evelyn McHale killed herself in 1947 by jumping from the Empire State building. This photo, taken just hours after her death, became an iconic shot that was eventually dubbed, "the most beautiful suicide".
rare-historical-photos-54-579a02ce28ce3__880.jpg

Last edited:
Waylon-Courtesy-of-RCA-Records-BMI-Archives.jpg

4991597.jpg

1G2LR

635936444913311485-710110-c.JPG

And... I wonder if anyone can guess who this is:

DZzIgJbV4AABqH5.jpg
Are the last two: Merle Haggard and George Jones? Not such a distinctive face, I'm just going by what looks like the age of the photograph. I think Hank Williams Senior had a skinnier face than this pic.

Are the last two: Merle Haggard and George Jones? Not such a distinctive face, I'm just going by what looks like the age of the photograph. I think Hank Williams Senior had a skinnier face than this pic.
Kris Kristofferson is holding the 12-string.

And, yes, a very young George Jones at the end! Good job!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT