ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Annual Bowl Pick 'em Challenge!!

I had my days mixed up. Sorry, y'all. I don't want to release line before contest sign-up deadline. Lines will be out TONIGHT by 11 p.m.

ATTENTION: sign-up deadline is at 5:00 p.m., today. That's 1 hr 36 min from now.
Maybe I was waiting to see the early lines before signing up. You ever consider that? This contest is already a disaster. Strum was right.

Also, do not piss me off by bringing up the Strum thing.
tumblr_inline_mwzdeq4b7s1r9s1q8.gif

DEADLINE HAS PASSED. Here are the much-anticipated lines! I've tweaked quite a few of the lines to either simply add a hook to prevent pushes, or in some cases, to adjust the line to make it more accurate IMO. I will poast all of the lines below. Please use this thread and poast for reference! However, as I've done in previous years, I will make separate threads with "waves" of picks, so that we don't have to make 42 picks at once. Each wave will consist of ~7-10 games, depending on how the bowl schedule falls. Please DON'T make your picks on this thread! Make them on the "wave" threads I poast. Thank you. Also, please note I made an edit at 11:08 p.m. on 12/15/16 to fix some formatting errors in my poast. I will not edit this poast again, so that there can be no accusation of me altering spreads mid-contest.

One note before I list the spreads. We need to figure out what the hell to do about the Minnesota - Washington State bowl game. Minnesota's players are officially boycotting the bowl due to what they feel is wrongful suspension of 10 of their players. VegasInsider and other sites still have a line up for the game, but I have no idea how to handicap that game if Minnesota is gonna have a boycott. Suggestions? Do we skip it? Let me know. Okay here are the lines:

Dec. 17

Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl
12 p.m., ABC
Georgia Dome, Atlanta
Grambling -14.5
vs. North Carolina Central

Gildan New Mexico Bowl
2 p.m., ESPN
University Stadium, Albuquerque, N.M.
New Mexico -9.5
vs. UTSA

Las Vegas Bowl Presented by Geico
3:30 p.m., ABC
Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas
Houston -5.5
vs. San Diego State

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
5:30 p.m., ESPN
Cramton Bowl, Montgomery, Ala.
Appalachian State PICK
vs. Toledo

AutoNation Cure Bowl
5:30 p.m., CBS Sports Network
Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Fla.
UCF -6.5
vs. Arkansas State

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
9 p.m., ESPN
Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans
Southern Mississippi -5.5
vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

Dec. 19

Miami Beach Bowl
2:30 p.m., ESPN
Marlins Park, Miami
Central Michigan +10.5
vs. Tulsa

Dec. 20

Boca Raton Bowl
7 p.m., ESPN
FAU Stadium, Boca Raton, Fla.
Memphis +6.5
vs. Western Kentucky

Dec. 21

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
9 p.m., ESPN
Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego
BYU -9.5
vs. Wyoming

Dec. 22

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
7 p.m., ESPN
Albertsons Stadium, Boise, Idaho
Idaho +13.5
vs. Colorado State

Dec. 23

Popeyes Bahamas Bowl
1 p.m., ESPN
Thomas A. Robinson National Stadium, Nassau, Bahamas
Eastern Michigan +3.5
vs. Old Dominion

Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl
4:30 p.m., ESPN
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, Texas
Louisiana Tech -4.5
vs. No. 25 Navy

Dollar General Bowl
8 p.m., ESPN
Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Ala.
Ohio +3.5
vs. Troy

Dec. 24

Hawai'i Bowl
8 p.m., ESPN
Aloha Stadium, Honolulu
Hawai'i +6.5
vs. Middle Tennessee

Dec. 26

St. Petersburg Bowl
11 a.m., ESPN
Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Miami (Ohio) +12.5
vs. Mississippi State

Quick Lane Bowl
2:30 p.m., ESPN
Ford Field, Detroit
Maryland PICK
vs. Boston College

Camping World Independence Bowl
5 p.m., ESPN2
Independence Stadium, Shreveport, La.
NC State -3.5
vs. Vanderbilt

Dec. 27

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl
12 p.m., ESPN
Cotton Bowl, Dallas
Army -7.5
vs. North Texas

Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
3:30 p.m., ESPN
Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Annapolis, Md.
#24 Temple -11.5
vs. Wake Forest

National Funding Holiday Bowl
7 p.m., ESPN
Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego
**Minnesota ???? boycott ???
vs. Washington State**

Motel 6 Cactus Bowl
10:15 p.m., ESPN
Chase Field, Phoenix
Boise State -7.5
vs. Baylor

Dec. 28

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
2 p.m., ESPN
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, N.Y.
#23 Pittsburgh -7.5
vs. Northwestern

Russell Athletic Bowl
#16 West Virginia PICK
vs. Miami

Foster Farms Bowl
8:30 p.m., Fox
Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, Calif.
Indiana +7.5
vs. #19 Utah

AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl
9 p.m., ESPN
NRG Stadium, Houston
Texas A&M -4.5
vs. Kansas State

Dec. 29

Birmingham Bowl
2 p.m., ESPN
Legion Field, Birmingham, Ala.
South Florida -7.5
vs. South Carolina

Belk Bowl
Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, N.C.
Arkansas +7.5
vs. #22 Virginia Tech

Valero Alamo Bowl
9 p.m., ESPN
Alamodome, San Antonio
#12 Oklahoma State +2.5
vs. #10 Colorado

Dec. 30

AutoZone Liberty Bowl
12 p.m., ESPN
Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, Memphis, Tenn.
Georgia PICK
vs. TCU

Hyundai Sun Bowl
2 p.m., CBS
Sun Bowl, El Paso, Texas
#18 Stanford -4.5
vs. North Carolina

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
3:30 p.m., ESPN
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tenn.
Nebraska +3.5
vs. #21 Tennessee

Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl
5:30 p.m., Campus Insiders
Arizona Stadium, Tucson, Ariz.
South Alabama +13.5
vs. Air Force

Capital One Orange Bowl
8 p.m., ESPN
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Fla.
#6 Michigan -7.5
vs. #11 Florida State

Dec. 31

Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl
11 a.m., ABC
#20 LSU -3.5
vs. #13 Louisville

TaxSlayer Bowl
11 a.m., ESPN
EverBank Field, Jacksonville, Fla.
Georgia Tech -4.5
vs. Kentucky

Jan. 2

Outback Bowl
1 p.m., ABC
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Fla.
No. 17 Florida PICK
vs. Iowa

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic
1 p.m., ESPN
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas
#15 Western Michigan +7.5
vs. #8 Wisconsin

Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual
5 p.m., ESPN
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, Calif.
#9 USC -6.5
vs. #5 Penn State

Allstate Sugar Bowl
8:30 p.m., ESPN
Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans
#14 Auburn +3.5
vs. #7 Oklahoma

National Championship Semi-Finals on Dec. 31

College Football Playoff semifinal at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
3 p.m., ESPN
Georgia Dome, Atlanta
#4 Washington +14.5
vs. #1 Alabama

College Football Playoff semifinal at the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl
7 p.m., ESPN
University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Ariz.
#3 Ohio State -3.5
vs. #2 Clemson

Jan. 9

College Football Playoff National Championship
8 p.m., ESPN
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Fla.
*We will pick this game as a tiebreaker only, if needed*

Last edited:
That last poast gave me a half-chub, and I'm not even participating in this contest.

Hey @TarHeelNation11, two things. One, please poast the link for the Google spreadsheet / results in the OP so it's easy for everyone to find. Two, I set up the spreadsheet so that I'm the only one who can edit it. Can you confirm that you're unable to make any changes? That way we can ensure the integrity of the contest. Thanks.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
That last poast gave me a half-chub, and I'm not even participating in this contest.

Hey @TarHeelNation11, two things. One, please poast the link for the Google spreadsheet / results in the OP so it's easy for everyone to find. Two, I set up the spreadsheet so that I'm the only one who can edit it. Can you confirm that you're unable to make any changes? That way we can ensure the integrity of the contest. Thanks.
I confirmed that I cannot edit the spreadsheet in any way.

The link for the spreadsheet which will keep standings is here.

I also have added this link to the OP, and I'll include a link at the top of each wave of bowl games when I poast them. At some point today I will double check and make sure you correctly copied all the spreads onto the spreadsheet

DEADLINE HAS PASSED.
What was the final tally on the number of participants?

We need to figure out what the hell to do about the Minnesota - Washington State bowl game.
I say we give it a little more time to see what happens. I can't imagine that they will actually boycott the bowl game.

ETA: Looks like there is the possibility of NIU getting an invite.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...replace-minnesota-golden-gophers-holiday-bowl

Last edited:
So I am assuming it will be up by 11:00 tonight, now? Is that the latest ETA.

What was the final tally on the number of participants?
So I am assuming it will be up by 11:00 tonight, now? Is that the latest ETA.
Some of y'all really need reading comprehension lessons lol.

Final # of participants is on page 1. And the lines have already been posted. As for making a thread for "wave one," I'll do that here in an hour or so.

Reactions: Raising Heel

Final # of participants is on page 1. And the lines have already been posted. As for making a thread for "wave one," I'll do that here in an hour or so.

Some of y'all need to learn how to run a contest. This shit is confusing as hell. Are we now supposed to pick all of the games or are we still waiting on you to poast lines for a contest that starts in 26.5 hours?

Reactions: tarheel0910
Maybe I was waiting to see the early lines before signing up. You ever consider that? This contest is already a disaster. Strum was right.

Fukkin A.

I have no idea what is going on. Are we doing it in waves or all at once? I'm losing interest fast here.

Are the lines in this thread going to be the lines we use all the way through? What happens when someone gets kicked off a team (which always does) and then the line moves? Can we change our picks?

Goddamnit it's the same fukking way I've run it the past 3 fukking seasons. It's not that GD complex.

The lines are the lines. Tough titties.

I just assumed you haven't updated it with the final count since you've screwed the pooch on this thing like @UNC71-00 pointed out.
Dude.
Are we doing it in waves or all at once? I'm losing interest fast here.
Just sit tight. THN will start a new thread with about 7 to 10 games to pick in the first wave. (I agree it was confusing to poast the spread for every game though).

Goddamnit it's the same fukking way I've run it the past 3 fukking seasons. It's not that GD complex.

The lines are the lines. Tough titties.

No it's not. You have never poasted all the lines out of the gate. Are you going to repoast them in the batches too or do we have to look back and forth between the threads?

I only read parts of the thread. I seemed to remember randomly seeing that someone would be posting the first 'wave' every day for the past few days or so though. It was just a little jab though. I knew they would be up eventually. I'm not planning on winning anyway. Between this and the money I keep shelling out for people dying I'm about to pick up a second job anyway.

No it's not. You have never poasted all the lines out of the gate. Are you going to repoast them in the batches too or do we have to look back and forth between the threads?
Agreed it was confusing. He needs to answer this, and your question about whether the lines will change due to outside factors (injuries, suspensions, etc.).

Yes, I'm going to repoast them in the batches. Pretty sure I poasted all the lines ahead of time last year too. If I didn't, I apologize.

I promise, I've idiot-proofed this whole thing if you simply read.

@UNC71-00 no, the lines aren't changing.

For instance, MTSU's QB might not even play. Doesn't matter, the line I've set is the line I've set. This is the same as any other bowl spread contest you'd do where the lines are set at a certain time and then can't change after the fact.

@UNC71-00 no, the lines aren't changing.

For instance, MTSU's QB might not even play. Doesn't matter, the line I've set is the line I've set. This is the same as any other bowl spread contest you'd do where the lines are set at a certain time and then can't change after the fact.

Works for me. But the actual pick isn't due until 1 minute before kickoff, right?

Yes, I'm going to repoast them in the batches. Pretty sure I poasted all the lines ahead of time last year too. If I didn't, I apologize.

I promise, I've idiot-proofed this whole thing if you simply read.

You have a promising career as a Russian novelist, which is to say I ain't reading a bunch of poasts about rules for a pick em contest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT