ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Lol I was not a fan to say the least
I don't remember it much. But, I do remember 2 games where I saw it and it made me crazy! The first time I remember was the dookie game in 1979, it was 7-0 at half! I'd never seen it before... like THAT! WTF is THIS???

The other was, I think, an ACCT game against Ralph Sampson and UVA. I think it was in 82. I hated that shit.

I don't remember it much. But, I do remember 2 games where I saw it and it made me crazy! The first time I remember was the dookie game in 1979, it was 7-0 at half! I'd never seen it before... like THAT! WTF is THIS???

The other was, I think, an ACCT game against Ralph Sampson and UVA. I think it was in 82. I hated that shit.
it could be maddeningly tedious as sheer time management, or as an actual scoring tactic it could be a thing of beauty, especially watching Phil Ford run it.

Dean wanted a shot clock, and the 4C was his logical exploitation of the lack of one. I wonder if he might not have also been trying to make a point. If so, thankfully someone got it.

nothing from 3 & 55…not that they need to be volume scorers, but nada is getting this result.

regroup and win this weekly schedule, they can do it.

Reactions: Heelicious
is it wrong idgaf about the loss? To me the state rivalry died somewhere in the midst of Roy going 33-5 against them. And the tourney title’s most significant meaning is that it’s the KOD regarding winning the national. A week from now state will get their ass kicked in a 12v5 first round game and we’ll be in the sweet 16 and no one will remember tonight.

is it wrong idgaf about the loss? To me the state rivalry died somewhere in the midst of Roy going 33-5 against them. And the tourney title’s most significant meaning is that it’s the KOD regarding winning the national. A week from now state will get their ass kicked in a 12v5 first round game and we’ll be in the sweet 16 and no one will remember tonight.

I agree but our performance tonight was embarrassing!

Reactions: bluetoe
They haven't won a conference championship in football, basketball or baseball since 1987. So, that's around 0-100. That one win has now come against us. I don't really consider it a big rivalry, but being the team that they broke the streak against absolutely sucks.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I saw a stat comparison early in the first half where they compared the 1987 team to the 2024 team and everything matched... I kinda knew right then. I was actually expecting a loss by the Heels tonight. It was like it was preordained.

A win against #16 seed Directional State College University isn't going to do that.
I just mean, from my experience, the ACC title game is a faint memory by the next Thursday. It's almost forgotten on Sunday night when the brackets are out.

The conference tournaments seem to mean less and less, overall, since the NCAA tournament has totally eclipsed all of them. UNC already won the ACC regular season. It sucks losing the tournament championship game, and even worse it was to moo in that memorable circumstance...but, really... BFD. This team has already accomplished a lot. A final four run would be great. Tournament losses always hurt because of the finality. But, getting to the final is a big deal, too.

If you had to choose

Acc tourney champ and first or second rd tourney exit

Early acc tourney exit and final four
Probably the second. I would have been fine losing to Pitt if we made the final four. If you're going to lose in the first or second round of the NCAA tournament, you better have some conference hardware otherwise that's a failure of a season for UNC basketball.

I saw a stat comparison early in the first half where they compared the 1987 team to the 2024 team and everything matched... I kinda knew right then. I was actually expecting a loss by the Heels tonight. It was like it was preordained.
that's why I gave @heelmanwilm (I think) a like for saying not to sleep on State. When a team got that mojo working, you can't take it lightly, and historically we should know by now to never underestimate State's desire to beat us. They might not be our rival much anymore, but we sure as hell are theirs.

The only thing I hate about the loss is that apparently the guys really wanted the banner. They didn't play like it though.

that's why I gave @heelmanwilm (I think) a like for saying not to sleep on State. When a team got that mojo working, you can't take it lightly, and historically we should know by now to never underestimate State's desire to beat us. They might not be our rival much anymore, but we sure as hell are theirs.

The only thing I hate about the loss is that apparently the guys really wanted the banner. They didn't play like it though.
They played like shit, from the jump. State just flat-out played better. Give them credit. It's poetic that they had to beat UNC for the title. 37 years! Be thankful you're not a wolfpack fan!

They played like shit, from the jump. State just flat-out played better. Give them credit. It's poetic that they had to beat UNC for the title. 37 years! Be thankful you're not a wolfpack fan!
"Be thankful you're not a wolfpack fan!"
last night maybe being a notable exception, considering 37 years of pent-up frustration were being released all at once.

I confess that if we HAD to lose, I'm glad it was to them and I hope they do well in the tournament.

If you had to choose

Egg-prices-header-image.jpg

If you had to choose

Obviously this is not even a question imo / which means you’ve put it in perfect context. I think I’d even take an elite 8 appearance over ACC conference championship.

And next year with I think a couple pacific coast teams in Atlantic Coast Conferences - so stupid. Conference’s and especially “big 5” or whatever conference tourneys are dead - meaningless

Watch this today when the brackets are released you will hear all the talking heads saying about how dangerous State is and how they are a sleeper for making the 2nd weekend. Only to lose in the first round.

• Haha
possible mich st matchup 2nd rd

#rigged
I don’t even think Mich state beats miss st. But I think to beat this msu team to go to s16 is something I’d sure sign up for. Most metrics show Mich st has no business being in the tourney, let alone an 8 seed.

Last edited:
I don’t even think Mich state beats miss st. But I think to beat this msu team to go to s16 is something I’d sure sign up for. Most metrics show Mich st has no business being in the tourney, let alone an 8 seed.
I hope you're wrong. I put down some money for them as a dark horse to the FF. It was a free bet, though. Figured since it was free I'd use it a as screw it bet. I think I would win $600 or something around that.

oh my god, the portal opens tomorrow as well.
So freaking stupid. Let the games from the ultimate fast talking con men (looking at YOU Pitino) begin.

Why would anyone go into the portal as a player, or make a commitment - before the ncaa and nit tourneys are done - AND you have a sense for who is going where, draft wise.

Not in the top 10 things I’d like to concern myself with - but I wonder if Heels risk losing anyone for transfer. Only ones I think remotely could consider are High and Okonko but if they work hard and get better there should be regular rotation time for them next year, right?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT