ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

it's been factually almost a third of a century. What are you comparing it to when you say relatively new, the Civil War?
I'm talking about the branding across all of the sports. When I say relatively, that means I'm comparing it to the other stuff mentioned which has been around since the civil war.

I'm talking about the branding across all of the sports. When I say relatively, that means I'm comparing it to the other stuff mentioned which has been around since the civil war.
OK I gotcha now. The Civil War, then.

OK I gotcha now. The Civil War, then.
Which was fought over slavery
Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

Itenerary for today:

12:00pm - Louisville clenches ACCCG spot

3:30pm - Ass beating from Clemson

7:00pm - post game presser with Mack congratulating Clemson and Louisville and reminding us that UNC has only been 8-3 like 16 times and this is actually a very big deal.

I don't think Carolina's really played anybody as talented his Clemson... But they stayed with them pretty well, and short of a few fluky things, they could have won. But I don't think it's going to ever get any better than what we have.

And, I need to research the person who thought-up the rule that when the football rolls across the corner of the end zone, due to a fumble by on offensive player, it's a turnover.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I don't think Carolina's really played anybody as talented his Clemson... But they stayed with them pretty well, and short of a few fluky things, they could have won. But I don't think it's going to ever get any better than what we have.
eliminate the handful of anomalies, and we won that game. Take away just the two unlikely fumbles alone and we win. The defense stepped up. It just makes you want to pull your hair out that they can play that well, in such an extremely hostile environment, and suck so badly elsewhere.

I am not putting this loss in my jar of bitterness. In fact, I've said all along I'd rather see us play our asses off and lose than to slop through an easy victory.

The officiating sucked balls. I know it's a kinder gentler kind of football now, but the two personal fouls that cost us dearly was an official going out of his way to throw an UR-type flag, and that just for beginners. Tez pretty much had a TD and the ref ignored the defender blatantly holding his arm down. I don't know if the crowd intimidated them or if they got a cut of the IPTAY fund. To be fair though, they missed a PI on us that mattered also.

also thought they were as physical as they’ve been all year and it didn’t just end after a series or a quarter or a half…10, 5, 25, 33, 28, 29, and 2 were all physical…they stepped up to a team that beats people up on the los.

they’ll get another one this week and for me it’s probably the most important state game for this program since fedora’s first.

Reactions: bluetoe
also thought they were as physical as they’ve been all year and it didn’t just end after a series or a quarter or a half…10, 5, 25, 33, 28, 29, and 2 were all physical…they stepped up to a team that beats people up on the los.

they’ll get another one this week and for me it’s probably the most important state game for this program since fedora’s first.
I have more doubts about the State game than I had about Clemson. I had them already, but now I really worry about them rebounding mentally. State never has that problem against us.

I think we beat State this year. But, I don't think it's going to get better than 8 wins a year with Brown. In fact, when the quarterback is average, it might really fall apart.
Well, if we beat moo then it will have been better than eight two years in a row. That hasn't happened since the coach was... Mack Brown. It's a very weird case study. In the 90s, UNC football fans would have killed for back to back nine win seasons. Now we want to fire the guy for having back to back nine win seasons. Not that I care if we do get rid of him. I just think it's interesting how things have changed.

Assuming UNC football holds true, the defense will be around 30 next year and the offense will take a massive step back and be ranked around 70. That will get us 7-8 wins.

• Haha
Reactions: blazers
I hoped Mack 2.0 could somehow fix DL recruiting, the injury bug and the penalties problems that limited success in the Fed era. Feels like he did the first two, but not the latter.
Bigger problem is consistency in terms of heart, softness, intensity from start to finish. You'd think the D (and whole team) would bring the right mentality vs ncsu but it's a coin-flip.

Well, if we beat moo then it will have been better than eight two years in a row. That hasn't happened since the coach was... Mack Brown. It's a very weird case study. In the 90s, UNC football fans would have killed for back to back nine win seasons. Now we want to fire the guy for having back to back nine win seasons. Not that I care if we do get rid of him. I just think it's interesting how things have changed.
It's the QBs and the hot starts and the recruiting freakout over Dez Evans, Travis Shaw, Murphy and KBJ, Silver, etc that led to my expectations.

Give Fedora Howell or Maye and we probably have 9 win seasons 2017/2018. Not that I want Fedora back, but it's a point about Mack not really overachieving.

It's the QBs and the hot starts and the recruiting freakout over Dez Evans, Travis Shaw, Murphy and KBJ, Silver, etc that led to my expectations.

Give Fedora Howell or Maye and we probably have 9 win seasons 2017/2018. Not that I want Fedora back, but it's a point about Mack not really overachieving.
Defenses were trash under Fed too. His best defense was when his DC was... Gene Chizik. If Fed couldn't consistently win the worst division in football, I seriously doubt he has two good seasons back to back. And while he didn't have a Sam/Drake combo. Williams/Mitch were two of the best QBs in UNC history up to that point.

My bigger point is that UNC football, as a program, is just uninspiring and has been that way for almost it's entire existence.
We're not Clemson.

And, I hate Clemson even more now. I hated them when I was a kid. I remember watching the bowl game, also on my birthday, with my dad, when Woody Hayes started punching the Clemson player. I was like "hell yeah." My dad said "He'll never coach again."

I've always hated the Clemson Tigers as much as State or the dookies. There is a hierarchy, of course. Clemson's at the bottom of the three. But I can't stand this football royalty they feign around here.

Defenses were trash under Fed too. His best defense was when his DC was... Gene Chizik. If Fed couldn't consistently win the worst division in football, I seriously doubt he has two good seasons back to back. And while he didn't have a Sam/Drake combo. Williams/Mitch were two of the best QBs in UNC history up to that point.
According to FEI Fed's 2015/2016 defenses were better than anything Mack has fielded. I think that goes back to the softness issue.

Regardless, Fed had way more hurdles to overcome.
The NCAA scholly limits and dark cloud which kept recruits away.
The NCAA fallout which flushed a ton of players out.
He didn't have a fraction of money, facilities and admin support that Mack has.
Some insane injury luck at Center, guard and DL
He had Mitch, and developed Marquis, but those guys aren't Sam or Drake.

It was time for Fed to be canned, but he did way more with what he had than Mack. And I still believe Mack was the right hire, but he should've retired after year 3.

I honestly don't know where you and others who presume to speak for UNC fandom get the notion that "UNC football fans would have killed for back to back nine win seasons." and that "Now we want to fire the guy for having back to back nine win seasons."

What I want, and I believe I speak for many UNC football fans, is for us to reach our potential which is right up there at the top. I understand that a coach is probably not going to come in to our place and win all the games on the schedule right away. But in building the program, you expect to see progress toward that goal. Losing the way we did to Clemson is no blemish on that effort, and losing to NC State at their place never is, considering the depth of their hatred for us.

When we were happy for nine win seasons before, it was because we were starved for that and heading in an upward direction. If you look at how we achieved our 'OK' record so far this year, I don't think any sensible person could say our direction is upward.

Losing to Virginia and Ga. Tech, and the lackluster play of our defense at times is an indicator that we are going to be once again stuck in that same old routine of someone claiming Carolina fans would kill for just OK. The dread of getting stuck in underachieving mediocrity...and not the 'only' nine wins...is why my chains, and the chains of many other fans, are rattling. The fan pathos that comes with mediocrity and the hue and cry for change is because we don't much display being a program that is going places.

Regardless of coach. Regardless of progress made. Facilities, recruiting, etc. This is who we are. I'd say it's another disappointing end to a season but is it still disappointing when you expect it?

7-5

Reactions: tarheel0910
According to FEI Fed's 2015/2016 defenses were better than anything Mack has fielded. I think that goes back to the softness issue.

It was time for Fed to be canned, but he did way more with what he had than Mack. And I still believe Mack was the right hire, but he should've retired after year 3.
Fed was hired as a cleansing effort because of the NCAA troubles. I doubt many thought he would excel. I didn't like him, but he had a good offensive approach for the most part. But it seemed to me he was more interested in tinkering with his offensive ideas than he was producing wins for the fans. And he almost didn't care for a defense. What defense we mustered was almost in spite of his lack of attention to it.

All in all, he served his purpose. And he delivered some outstanding memories, like with Marquise lighting dook up like a Christmas tree. But no doubt, it was time for him to go. We hired Mack to get the program on an upward projection and he did that. Now we need to see a continuation of that direction, and I myself can't see it.

This weird movement to somehow make Fed look like he was better than an average P4 coach is interesting to me. I'm seeing people coming up with all of these excuses that might have been valid his first few years, but weren't valid his last half. He had one good season in a shit division. That's it.

I honestly don't know where you and others who presume to speak for UNC fandom get the notion that "UNC football fans would have killed for back to back nine win seasons." and that "Now we want to fire the guy for having back to back nine win seasons."

What I want, and I believe I speak for many UNC football fans, is for us to reach our potential which is right up there at the top. I understand that a coach is probably not going to come in to our place and win all the games on the schedule right away. But in building the program, you expect to see progress toward that goal. Losing the way we did to Clemson is no blemish on that effort, and losing to NC State at their place never is, considering the depth of their hatred for us.

When we were happy for nine win seasons before, it was because we were starved for that and heading in an upward direction. If you look at how we achieved our 'OK' record so far this year, I don't think any sensible person could say our direction is upward.

Losing to Virginia and Ga. Tech, and the lackluster play of our defense at times is an indicator that we are going to be once again stuck in that same old routine of someone claiming Carolina fans would kill for just OK. The dread of getting stuck in underachieving mediocrity...and not the 'only' nine wins...is why my chains, and the chains of many other fans, are rattling. The fan pathos that comes with mediocrity and the hue and cry for change is because we don't much display being a program that is going places.
tl;dr again

Regardless of coach. Regardless of progress made. Facilities, recruiting, etc. This is who we are. I'd say it's another disappointing end to a season but is it still disappointing when you expect it?

7-5
We can obviously get to 9 wins, but I think your 7-5 is basically an average UNC season.

We're not Clemson.

And, I hate Clemson even more now. I hated them when I was a kid. I remember watching the bowl game, also on my birthday, with my dad, when Woody Hayes started punching the Clemson player. I was like "hell yeah." My dad said "He'll never coach again."

I've always hated the Clemson Tigers as much as State or the dookies. There is a hierarchy, of course. Clemson's at the bottom of the three. But I can't stand this football royalty they feign around here.

They’re not feigning anything at this point. They’ve been more dominant in football over the last decade than we have in basketball.

When you factor in FSU losing their QB right before the ACCCG I’m pretty sure Carolina had the easiest path to a playoff spot of anyone in CFB.

Last edited:
This weird movement to somehow make Fed look like he was better than an average P4 coach is interesting to me. I'm seeing people coming up with all of these excuses that might have been valid his first few years, but weren't valid his last half. He had one good season in a shit division. That's it.
I'm not saying better than avg P4, just better than UNC avg given the circumstance. I know, high bar!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT