ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Movie Tournament Elite 8: Solo/Dude Regions

heelz2345

Hall of Famer
Mar 4, 2008
We are now to the Elite 8, which means we are halfway through the rounds in our OOTB Movie Tournament. As with the Sweet 16 you will vote for matchups in all four regions, divided between two threads. This thread will combine the Dude and Han Solo regions. You have until midnight on Saturday to vote for your choices in all four regions. Popular vote will determine which movie advances, and in the case of a tie in voting, the tiebreak score will determine who moves forward. I will do a brief rundown of each matchup that includes my vote in that matchup under a spoiler warning, and then the matchups will be listed again at the bottom for easier copy/pasting.

HAN SOLO REGION

#1 seed Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

#10 seed Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

For the second time this tournament, the first installment in a series matches up against a sequel that is often cited proof that there are times where a sequel is equal to the original. A New Hope lays the stage for the entire Star Wars saga, telling a story of good vs. evil that has resonated for generations thanks to great characters, dazzling effects, and an awe-inspiring universe created by George Lucas. Empire builds on that solid foundation by expanding on the characters we know and love, introducing us to new ones (hello, Yoda, Lando, the Emperor, and Boba Fett), and shocking audiences with an ending that no one saw coming. This is a very tough matchup. Do you vote for the one who started it all, or do you keep Empire’s Cinderella run as the lowest remaining seed and only remaining sequel running?
For me, in a very tough vote, I have to go with the one that started it all-Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

THE DUDE REGION

#1 seed Animal House

#2 seed The Big Lebowski

This may be the biggest stylistic difference of the Elite 8, as Animal House’s wacky antics go up against the more subtle and strange comedy of The Big Lebowski. However, these movies feature some of the deepest benches of any remaining movies in the tournament. Animal House is packed with great characters, big laughs, and some of the wildest comedy ever put to film when it was released. The Big Lebowski was a box office and critical failure when it was initially released but has since gained a massive following due to great performances from the leads and a script filled with memorable scenes. Comedy is by far the most subjective genre still represented in this tournament, so this is going to come down to the personal taste of the voter.
For me, I’m going with The Big Lebowski.

MATCHUPS

HAN SOLO REGION

THE DUDE REGION

#1 seed Animal House

#2 seed The Big Lebowski

HAN SOLO REGION

7e1128c0d5abeacc67a0aab72f012648--new-tattoos-tattoo-me.jpg

THE DUDE REGION

tumblr_opm7r5m5rE1r7djlxo1_1280.jpg

#2 seed The Big Lebowski

SCHEDULE NOTE

I have been trying to have each round consistently start on Mondays and Thursdays, ending on Wednesdays and Saturdays respectively. However, due to Christmas, the Final Four will begin on the Thursday following Christmas as opposed to on Christmas Day, and the Championship round will start on Tuesday, Jan 2.

MATCHUPS

HAN SOLO REGION

THE DUDE REGION

#1 seed Animal House

MATCHUPS

HAN SOLO REGION

THE DUDE REGION
#2 seed The Big Lebowski

Voting has closed for this region. The results for the matchups are as follows, with winners in bold. Each pairing is accompanied by gifs to summarize the feelings of the winners and losers.

HAN SOLO REGION

#1 seed: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope-8 votes

#10 seed: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back-6 votes
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

THE DUDE REGION

#1 seed: Animal House-3 votes
#2 seed: The Big Lebowski-10 votes
tumblr_n7edilpQoX1tr6yqoo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT