ADVERTISEMENT

Our All-American's DEFENSE

dadika13

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
NYC
Before the wildness of the last minute where Monk hit two crazy 3's without Justin guarding him...Jackson held the best shooter in CBB to:

2/8 FG, 1/4 3pt FG, 6 points, 2 rebounds, 0 assists in 30 minutes.

For all we praise him for his offense, Justin took on this challenge and put Monk on LOCK DOWN. Love this kid.

Before the wildness of the last minute where Monk hit two crazy 3's without Justin guarding him...Jackson held the best shooter in CBB to:

For all we praise him for his offense, Justin took on this challenge and put Monk on LOCK DOWN. Love this kid.

And that's exactly why he beat out Kennard for ACC POY. Jackson is a very underrated defender. And did you see him wolfing at Monk at one point last night. I enjoyed seeing a little emotion out of JJ.

Buckets DEFINITELY stepped up to the challenge. My biggest fear going into the game was how the Heels would cover Monk and Fox, especially with Berry on injured wheels. Jackson took the assignment and SHUT HIM DOWN the entire game.

JJ definitely deserves a co-MVP for shutting down Monk. And I think it was often Theo on Fox. Limiting those two was key (plus Meeks did well limiting Bam).

I could be discouraged that JJ didn't have a stellar offensive night, but I think his butt-busting work on the defensive end took a lot out of him on the other end. And, he played 38 minutes. That is so huge! Gave it all he had. And his plus / minus scoring vs. Monk (compared to whatever Monk dropped on us in Vegas) was absolutely a key to the game.

Overall I'd give the Heels a C game grade on offense, (at least for the last 5 mins in 1st half until 5 mins in 2nd half) including FT shooting.

But overall I'd give the whole team an A for the whole game on defense, and JJ gets an A+. Betting he gets rewarded with defensive player of the game (or maybe Theo)...

Buckets DEFINITELY stepped up to the challenge. My biggest fear going into the game was how the Heels would cover Monk and Fox, especially with Berry on injured wheels. Jackson took the assignment and SHUT HIM DOWN the entire game.

JJ showed the scouts something with that performance. Monk is early-mid lottery and JJ with 2 more strong games could sneak into the back end of the lottery.
Shooting- check
Midrange - check
D against a 2 - check
Question remains D in a big physical 3

We, desperately, need JJ to find his stroke though from behind the arc. He seems to be shooting an inordinate amount of those while fading back or drifting. Need Joel's shot too. Oregon is worrisome to me.

Reactions: Heelicious
compare what jj did on monk to what thornwell did...them compare jj's and thornwell's offensive #'s during those games.

reason why i mention that is because they both worked hard in that role and could've been a factor in their offensive contributions vs kentucky.

compare what jj did on monk to what thornwell did...them compare jj's and thornwell's offensive #'s during those games.

reason why i mention that is because they both worked hard in that role and could've been a factor in their offensive contributions vs kentucky.

I understand that, and that's a great point. I'm just saying JJ has been forcing some 3's, IMO. We can't win it all with both he and Berry cold from 3.

Reactions: gteeitup

And JJ was talking trash to him the whole game, and I was loving it.

We, desperately, need JJ to find his stroke though from behind the arc. He seems to be shooting an inordinate amount of those while fading back or drifting.
Agreed. Fadeaways, or drifting laterally when shooting, which makes it almost impossible for anyone to hit the shot. Even on his 4-pointer, I think he was drifting laterally.
It seems we can get enough good shots and move the ball enough, to where he mostly just takes 3s on kickouts, or where he is fully open, stop and shoot, feet and body set, no hand in his face.

Or at least this should be the nature of most of his - or Joel's or anybody's - 3 point shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT