ADVERTISEMENT

Our PG concern for next year...

I would argue that there isn't really a "typical" Roy PG, other than most are very coachable but even there it is not always true, see Drew, Ty was a knuckle head when it came to doing what Roy was trying to get him to do, Nate pulling off so many break ops, and I do think at times Roy was not overly happy with some of Joel's early clock heat checks.

Under Roy, we have had a good number of combo guards IMO that played the point, I would offer Joel, Marcus, Nate, Bobby, Drew, Dexter, 7th as examples. We have as well more what i consider traditional PGs in Ray, Ty, and kendal. Just in the way I see a kid as a combo does not mean he can not play the point but I as well see a lot of 2 guards that are not guys I want at the point, like Kenny, NATE, or Wayne.
Some good points, except Joel was not a Combo --- he came outta the womb as a PG, and the fact he was a scorer did nothing to change that.

I'm only pointing that out to preface an old basketball adage that is particularly relevant to this discussion:
Any PG who can shoot a lick can play the 2 --- but very few 2s can play the 1.

There is a fundamental reason this adage is spot-on --- the indispensible asset for a successful PG (especially in our system) is the floor-general instinct. You can learn to get better at some basic duties (like Dex did), but that only goes so far without the right instincts. As you said, it's not a matter of style --- Butter and JB are different as night and day as players, except for one thing,... that basic PG instinct.

And yes, some guys who come out of HS as Combos show they can play the heck out of PG --- Bobby and Marcus come to mind --- but most just can't advance past a certain level, at least not in our PG-dependent system (and 7th unfortunately falls into that category). And of course, even some guys who have the right instincts have their heads stuck up their butts (Drew), so there's that.

Speaking of Bobby, I'd take him right now and feel really good about next season. That is another reason I hope Andrew will get a fair crack at PG. He absolutely has the right instincts.

If Seventh followed Justin Jackson's routine (thousands of 3-point shots) would he become a good shooter, or is there some problem with his shot (or some other problem)?

For me it always depend on the four other players on the court. I love the Ed Cota & Kendall Marshall PGs, but they require great players round them. The guys that understand the strength of there team and constantly get the ball to them in scoring position.

Ty Lawson and Joel Berry's are cool, but I like 4:1 to to assist ratios more than scoring PG. Ty Lawson might have been a 3:1 guy he was really special.

This current team seems to need more of a Kendall Marshall type. KW, Cam and Maye are proven scorers but each need help in getting set up.

Why do you think Roy didn't list Andrew as someone who would get a chance at point? I was a little surprised at that omission.
He actually has mentioned it (on his own, since the media doesn't tend to put Andrew in the mix in their questions), although I am still skeptical he'll get the chance.

AP played a few shifts at PG last season and did quite well. As I recall he only made one significant mental mistake. Andrew found himself running sideline in transition (which any perimeter guy will do from time to time), but had a momentary brain-fart forgetting the PG has ultimate responsibility to rotate back in defensive balance and we gave up a bucket.

Roy even mentioned it in post-game, saying it was an understandable mistake for a guy who was used to playing 2 and just getting his feet wet at 1. Thing is, I'd bet he won't make that mistake again if he gets the chance to immerse himself at the 1 in Fall camp. BTW, that's a mistake 7th still made more than once in his second season.

Spacing, pace, etc are important, but next year's team will seriously lack shot creation. An offense without players who can create shots (in the post or off the dribble) with struggle. Next year's team needs someone at PG who can create.

Spacing, pace, etc are important, but next year's team will seriously lack shot creation. An offense without players who can create shots (in the post or off the dribble) with struggle. Next year's team needs someone at PG who can create.
Not necessarily so.

Next year's team will have myriad sources of (mature) fire-power. And in our scheme, the spacing, ball-movement and flow are precisely the things that do the vast majority of the creating. Run the Secondary and our Free-lance continuity the right way?... The shots will be there, and we have the luxury of several guys who can knock them down. BTW: One of the things that made Joel Berry elite was his innate understanding of this concept and the ability/willingness to move defenses and make the pass-that-leads-to-the-pass --- as opposed to just forcing unwise penetrations as a default.

That being said, as to having individuals who can create their own shot when needed, that is a bit of an open question. JB was the one guy who could do that on cue. Kenny and Luke in particular will need to take more initiative at times in that area... and Nas brings a knack for that (along with elite finishing chops).

Finally, who exactly amongst the oft-mentioned PG candidates is particularly adept at creating? Sure, 7th has a great "first-step", but nobody's gonna let him use it off the bounce--- defenders are just gonna back off him and dare him to drive into help or no-man's land. And sure, Coby can get HIS shot from outside, but his mechanics likely need to improve before it'll be reliable and from what I saw he's got some adjusting to do against college-level athletes as a finisher. As for creating for others? Well, not to burst any bubbles, but that's just something he's never really done much of.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a guy adept at D-and-D (and I'm still disappointed we weren't receptive to Williams), but running the system competently and smoothly is priority #1 right about now.

If Seventh followed Justin Jackson's routine (thousands of 3-point shots) would he become a good shooter, or is there some problem with his shot (or some other problem)?
From the (first-hand) intel I've gotten on him, 7th can be a dangerous (albeit streaky) deep shooter. I'm sure you can see where the streakiness comes from just by watching --- his mechanics have a hitch. Now, some of the mechanical stuff is not gonna change, but if he gets his confidence up he can still be an effective shooter. Although we haven't seen it much in games, the kid has some natural scoring chops.

The thing I've been hammering on is that playing out of position is the biggest thing f***ing with his confidence. From there, well... yada yada...

I just wish Francis was coming in 2018. That kid is going to be an excellent PG. I saw a video of him playing in a scrimmage last fall (pre-injury). He's built and plays like a fullback. Great handles too.

He is the next great UNC PG in my opinion.
Francis reminds me of Mateen Cleaved.

Reactions: gary-7
Francis reminds me of Mateen Cleaved.
Hopefully without the off-court baggage ;)

But yeah, @ProfessorOwl is right, Francis is definitely a bully-type big PG.

And it's funny, when he was first introduced on here there was a narrative that he was fast, that came from a remark Roy made about his knack for pushing the ball that was taken somewhat out of context. One can push tempo quite well without being a sprinter.

Mateen always reminded me of a muppet since with his huge mouth it looked like his head had a hinge in the back! That being said, I would love for Francis to be half of Mateen!

I think we have way too many choices for the Tar Heels to completely miss at PG. I anticipate seeing lineups with multiple handlers especially early in the season! If someone separates themselves in practice, then we will see them get the lion's share. 7th will get his chance, but I expect peeps like Platek, White, and Baby Jet to get looks in game action too!

PG must be a leader on and off the court at UNC. Watch who they gravitate to in their spare time and who gets on the guys during drills and you will figure out who will win the job!

Count me as not worried about PG. Roy will figure it out.

I am worried about next year though. The word around the campfire was that Roy really wanted Hagans and some around the program actually thought we had a puncher's chance of landing him and getting him to reclassify. Roy knew that we didn't have enough on the roster.

To me that is our one glaring weakness and what will probably be the reason we do not reach our expectations. Hard to envision us as a championship contender without a true, good point guard.

We won’t be a title contender next year.... it’d take Woods doing a complete 180 for that to become possible. Even then, I still have concerns about our post rotation.

Nas, Cam, Kenny, Luke, Coby are more than enough to compete for a title.
Technically, everyone in the tourney is “competing” for the title. I don’t think we’ll be a contender, not with a freshmen combo guard and/or Woods running point. And not with developmental bigs still growing into their roles.

Technically, everyone in the tourney is “competing” for the title. I don’t think we’ll be a contender, not with a freshmen combo guard and/or Woods running point. And not with developmental bigs still growing into their roles.
Ummm, but I’m sure you would consider dook a contender.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Nas, Cam, Kenny, Luke, Coby are more than enough to compete for a title.

I love your optimism, but have to disagree. I don't think we'll take a step back this coming season, but we're not a championship caliber team. Coby isn't a true PG and Seventh hasn't shown me anything to believe he's ready to lead.

We won’t be a title contender next year.... it’d take Woods doing a complete 180 for that to become possible. Even then, I still have concerns about our post rotation.

I understand concerns, but besides a couple highly rated Freshman classes WHO HARDLY EVER WIN it all. Tell me why our guys will not contend again. The last 4-5 years Roy has had a big step up in a major way from there previous season, and Manley and Brooks both looked as good or better than Kennedy Meeks and Isiah Hicks looked as Freshman IMHO so no need to think they will not make same improvement (still same coach and same system) Cam Johnson just finished one season under Roy's system and averaged double figures scoring you don't think he will improve. Kenny Williams will come into season as one of the top three point shooters in the nation! Luke Maye has improved every year at UNC and is/was third team all-american. Nassir Little did not impress you at all? Posters talking about why we are not interested in the the Number 7 rated PG, didn't see him at all-american games, but you know who I did see Colby White.

So I respect your opinion on contending next year, but I disagree.

Ummm, but I’m sure you would consider dook a contender.
I never brought up Dook, you did. They’re obviously living in your mind rent free since they have nothing to do with this topic and you still bring it up.

And no, I don’t think they’ll be a “contender”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT