ADVERTISEMENT

Overly Sensitive People

Once again, the parents are the problem.
The parents are the *source* of the problem. The actual problem, however, is the athletic department caving to the demands of a whiny brat. Once again, an attempt to please a small but vocal segment ends up making things worse for everyone else. The school should've told the mom to go pound sand.

The parents are the *source* of the problem. The actual problem, however, is the athletic department caving to the demands of a whiny brat. Once again, an attempt to please a small but vocal segment ends up making things worse for everyone else. The school should've told the mom to go pound sand.
They can't tell her that because they don't want to get sued. They'd probably win, but you never know with judges who like to hand out political statements from the bench. Many of the problems in this country stem from the sue culture we live in today. No group or entity can do anything without fear of being sued.

They can't tell her that because they don't want to get sued. They'd probably win, but you never know with judges who like to hand out political statements from the bench. Many of the problems in this country stem from the sue culture we live in today. No group or entity can do anything without fear of being sued.
Stuff like this has already been tried in court. HS Athletics are a privilege not a right .

Stuff like this has already been tried in court. HS Athletics are a privilege not a right .
Right. I'd venture a guess that most of these issues come about over concern for bad PR, not being sued. Either way it's ridiculous.

I have often said coaching youth sports would be one of the best experiences I’d had in my life, if there would’ve been no parents involved.

So snowflake didn’t make the cheerleading team. Mom gets ticked and complains. That is bad enough, unless there was a clear bias she could prove. School made it worse by just letting everyone make it.

Here’s the thing. Yes, there are biases when it comes to these things. When I was in HS, there was a pretty even racial divide and the cheerleading coach decided every year she would keep 6 Black girls and 6 white girls. Didn’t matter who was better than whom, it was split by race. Everyone knew it. Plenty of people hated it, but it was what it was.

Sports teams are no different. When my youngest tried out for his middle school baseball team in 7th grade he made it. Coach was a prick and everyone knew he was biased with how he coached. One of my kids good friends got cut. He was the son of a school board member. The next year, my son got cut and this other kid made it. Think there weren’t shenanigans going on? We didn’t complain. He worked hard and made the HS team as a freshman and so did his buddy.

Life is not easy, but parents today are ridiculous with trying to “clean up” or pick up when their kids fail. Let them fail and learn from it. Hell, the best lessons in life are from our failures. When it stings, it can motivate us even more or push in another direction to be great at something else. Either way, having mommy and daddy go raise hell ain’t gonna teach you anything except that they will do it the rest of your life no matter how much or how often you screw up.

I have often said coaching youth sports would be one of the best experiences I’d had in my life, if there would’ve been no parents involved.

So snowflake didn’t make the cheerleading team. Mom gets ticked and complains. That is bad enough, unless there was a clear bias she could prove. School made it worse by just letting everyone make it.

Here’s the thing. Yes, there are biases when it comes to these things. When I was in HS, there was a pretty even racial divide and the cheerleading coach decided every year she would keep 6 Black girls and 6 white girls. Didn’t matter who was better than whom, it was split by race. Everyone knew it. Plenty of people hated it, but it was what it was.

Sports teams are no different. When my youngest tried out for his middle school baseball team in 7th grade he made it. Coach was a prick and everyone knew he was biased with how he coached. One of my kids good friends got cut. He was the son of a school board member. The next year, my son got cut and this other kid made it. Think there weren’t shenanigans going on? We didn’t complain. He worked hard and made the HS team as a freshman and so did his buddy.

Life is not easy, but parents today are ridiculous with trying to “clean up” or pick up when their kids fail. Let them fail and learn from it. Hell, the best lessons in life are from our failures. When it stings, it can motivate us even more or push in another direction to be great at something else. Either way, having mommy and daddy go raise hell ain’t gonna teach you anything except that they will do it the rest of your life no matter how much or how often you screw up.
Poast of the decade right here ∆

Quite possibly the best single line of any post on the internets ever. Its evergreen, truth. and does not need to be explained any further.

I know how - many posters here LOVE (not) running and posts about (not) running. I had posted in the thread on running about Gabe (Gabrielle) Grunwald who was a champion runner from small town Minnesota but recently lost her battle with a rare cancer.

She said that the politics and head games and complete lack of perspective of parents, coaches, administrators in youth team sports - is what drove her to pursue running. Her quote (paraphrasing): "When you're competing in a running race, there are no games, no politics, no preferential treatments for coach's favorites. Its just you against the clock and the clock doesn't lie".

I loved that quote. I imagine everyone involved in youth team sports or any youth team competition has suffered from experiencing out-of-control, living vicariously, zero perspective, games and favoritism by coaches and parents. It ruins or degrades so much of youth sports.

I grew up a coach's son. I can't tell you how many times I had to wait in the truck while ridiculous parents tried to play politics to get their kid more playing time. One mom insisted that her fat son was the best player on the team and we had no idea what we were losing when he quit. Parents went into full blown hysterics over U14 baseball.

Reactions: Heelicious
65558414_2131021773673780_7893595895101390848_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT