ADVERTISEMENT

Random / Weird News Stories

this johnny depp/amber heard trial is insane…”she left a grumpy on the bed”
gotta-go-when-you-gotta-go.gif

can someone explain something to me please? I don't do any of the social media stuff so I don't know the protocol. My question is, why do items often consist of a headline or title, with the body being only a word-for-word repeat of that headline, and sometimes followed by yet another word-for-word repeat; and maybe even a w-f-w one actually imbedded within the one that comprises the body? Why is it necessary to repeat these words over and again if there is nothing being responded to? Is somebody being paid by the word?

can someone explain something to me please? I don't do any of the social media stuff so I don't know the protocol. My question is, why do items often consist of a headline or title, with the body being only a word-for-word repeat of that headline, and sometimes followed by yet another word-for-word repeat; and maybe even a w-f-w one actually imbedded within the one that comprises the body? Why is it necessary to repeat these words over and again if there is nothing being responded to? Is somebody being paid by the word?
It's what you get when your No. 1 priority is to get clicks for the least possible effort.

That tweet was probably generated automatically by software (or some unpaid/underpaid intern) at that local affiliate that simply pulls the first line of the story for the text of the tweet, then links to the story. Twitter automatically generates that "card" from the link, which pulls the image from the story and again, the first line of text. So for zero real effort/expense, you get a shoddy, repetitive tweet.

It's what you get when your No. 1 priority is to get clicks for the least possible effort.

That tweet was probably generated automatically by software (or some unpaid/underpaid intern) at that local affiliate that simply pulls the first line of the story for the text of the tweet, then links to the story. Twitter automatically generates that "card" from the link, which pulls the image from the story and again, the first line of text. So for zero real effort/expense, you get a shoddy, repetitive tweet.
I don't know what a normal tweet would look like but every posted one I see seems to have that repetition. That sucks butt, but at least now I know a reason for the idiocy. Thanks.

"Lukoil board member Alexander Subbotin.....was found dead in Mytishchi, a town just outside Moscow, in a house owned by a local healer or medicine man known as Magua, according to state news agency TASS."

Magua? Sounds suspiciously like MAGA to me. And so it begins....

russia-shaman-magua.jpg

and damned if it doesn't look like him too. I wonder if he'll be wearing this outfit and beating that drum when he's sworn in again.

"Lukoil board member Alexander Subbotin.....was found dead in Mytishchi, a town just outside Moscow, in a house owned by a local healer or medicine man known as Magua, according to state news agency TASS."

Magua? Sounds suspiciously like MAGA to me. And so it begins....

russia-shaman-magua.jpg

and damned if it doesn't look like him too. I wonder if he'll be wearing this outfit and beating that drum when he's sworn in again.

Purple states will become red with regard to pres election, and going forward they'll remain red due to gerrymandering. It effectively ends the power of the popular vote in those states with repub state legislatures (like ga, az, wisc, nc, etc)

Voting Rights bills and electoral overhaul need to be pushed by congress/biden now or we're going to become a minority-ruled country.
MAGUA. Make America Great Using Abortion?

Reactions: bluetoe
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...olina-recycling-plant-coroner-finds-rcna37240

Duncan-Gordon.jpg

this is this gentleman before he apparently fell into the plastic shredder at a recycling center in South Carolina. He was missing for several months and the machine was checked a few times but only on a third or fourth check did they find traces of him, enough to get DNA verification. One article I read said they recovered something like two ounces of him.

This isn't 'the' machine, but it must be similar. just imagine....

File this in the 'worst way to go' category.

Last edited:
This isn't really news, but sort of an interesting oddity.

Basically $2 bills aren't commonly used, but actually aren't rare or particularly collectible, and are still printed, and would make just as much as if not more sense than $1 bills as a primary form of small currency now that inflation has rendered the single almost as useless as the penny.

Reactions: prlyles
This isn't really news, but sort of an interesting oddity.

Basically $2 bills aren't commonly used, but actually aren't rare or particularly collectible, and are still printed, and would make just as much as if not more sense than $1 bills as a primary form of small currency now that inflation has rendered the single almost as useless as the penny.
Pretty interesting, but I don't know why people still use money. Other than giving my kids money for their birthday, I can't remember the last time I used cash. I expect it to go the way of the check where only a few older people use it.

Reactions: bluetoe
There are still a bunch of tolls in some of the shit-hole states up north which require cash (if you don't have ez pass).

Cash is only good for things that you don't want a record of paying for (or selling).

Kind of surprised the government hasn't made a push to get rid of it for just that reason.
Yeah and it's much more secure. Someone steals my card and makes a purchase all I have to do is call the bank to get a new card and reverse the transaction. If someone steals my cash, the bank won't replace it.

Sound on as the guy explains what you're seeing.

• Haha
Reactions: pooponduke
Pretty interesting, but I don't know why people still use money. Other than giving my kids money for their birthday, I can't remember the last time I used cash. I expect it to go the way of the check where only a few older people use it.
as someone who owns a medium size vending operation, i hope cash/coin sticks around for a very long time. but most of my machines are in laundrymats (the highest cash industry) so i should be good for a while anyway. i have upgraded some machines with card readers but the it takes a long time to recoup that cost, plus the paperwork headache (and trail).

also, using cash is still the very best way to teach kids (or anyone, i suppose) responsibility with money. there is no "pain" in the swipe ... but to hand someone cash triggers sensors in the brain that make us pause and think about what we're spending.

as someone who owns a medium size vending operation, i hope cash/coin sticks around for a very long time. but most of my machines are in laundrymats (the highest cash industry) so i should be good for a while anyway. i have upgraded some machines with card readers but the it takes a long time to recoup that cost, plus the paperwork headache (and trail).

also, using cash is still the very best way to teach kids (or anyone, i suppose) responsibility with money. there is no "pain" in the swipe ... but to hand someone cash triggers sensors in the brain that make us pause and think about what we're spending.
Even laundry mats are moving away from cash, though. I'm sure it will still take a while to completely make the move, but it's just a matter of time. The rona sped up the demise of cash. Basically anywhere a line forms, they have switched to card only. It just makes more sense from a security and time standpoint.

You're right about teaching kids though. It's still a great way to do it. I do the same. I even took them to the bank and had them open their own account when they were younger instead of just doing it online. Showed them how to fill out the deposit slip and everything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT