ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Davis Visit - NOW WITH POLL

Will he come to Carolina?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People so worried about RJ’s size....Let me tell you what I know: if RJ went to Pitt, he would be a player that torched us for 3-4 years. I hope he chooses the Heels tomorrow morning.
I don't worry about size anymore in college basketball from the PG position. I will give you one name recently that size didn't matter... Carson Edwards for PU now with the Celtics

Zaire, Puff, and RJ would be the perfect group to finish the class to me, but any 2-3 on our list would cement us as favorites!

Zaire included makes this class perfect no matter who else joins. Guard wise you have to keep in mind Francis may be ready also.

Last edited:
Zaire included makes this class perfect whno mattero else joins. Guard wise you have to keep in mind Francis may be ready also.
Or not. And even if cleared to play, there is no guarantee he’ll ever be the same player again. If he RS’s he will have missed about 3 years of playing. Hard to come back from that.

I’m praying for him and Sterling but don’t even think about them playing again.

This will have a lasting impact on future classes. Getting a 3-4 year PG makes Roy’s life so much easier. It’s fortunate we’ve been able to reload at that position after Joel, Coby, Cole, and now Caleb. But man, that’s stress.

Knowing RJ is in the mix for the next 4 really eases that.

Kudos to the staff and our current guys for knocking another visit out of the park, RJ is now the second commitment that we have gotten in this class along with Kessler that we weren't viewed as the perceived leaders coming in, but after being on campus the two knew right away that Carolina was the right fit.

RJ is a great get as a kid who checks all the boxes both on and off the court, has really upped his game over the last year and exactly the player that will provide us with needed stability in our backcourt for the next few years.

Walton has averaged about 47% from long distance in high school and 17U play, superb shooter. Somewhat average in terms of athleticism and defense. Again, a superb 3-pt shooter. Scheduled to visit 10-25-19.
You don't turn away guys like Ziaire or Bryce, but frankly I'd be delighted to add Walton and call the class done.

A couple of OADs, a 2-3 year guy, and a couple of quality 4-year guys (one of whom could start for 3 of those years). That's terrific balance between winning now and winning in the future. I wish all our recruiting classes had that balance.

It's also the case, I think, that all of those guys could start if they had to, but only 2 or 3 of them will have to.

In most freshman classes, there are some who aren't quite ready in their first year, or even the next year. You can't always be sure which ones that will be. But this class is looking pretty solid.

Kudos to the staff and our current guys for knocking another visit out of the park, RJ is now the second commitment that we have gotten in this class along with Kessler that we weren't viewed as the perceived leaders coming in, but after being on campus the two knew right away that Carolina was the right fit.

RJ is a great get as a kid who checks all the boxes both on and off the court, has really upped his game over the last year and exactly the player that will provide us with needed stability in our backcourt for the next few years.
This bit from TOS sums it up nicely:

Of North Carolina’s now four-man recruiting class, three of the prospects, including Davis, committed to UNC shortly after their official visits. What about an official visit to North Carolina makes the school so intriguing?

“The team really makes sure you get a feel for the school and get a feel for them,” Davis explained. “The coaching staff not only just talks about basketball, but also about life. They give life lessons and make sure how you’re doing with the recruiting stuff because it does get tough and can be stressful.”

“Then there’s the fan support,” he added. “I wanted to go to a school that would have a college experience, so I was looking at that as well. The fans love the basketball team there, they are always supportive. It just felt like the place for me and felt like home.”

Zaire included makes this class perfect whno mattero else joins. Guard wise you have to keep in mind Francis may be ready also.
We're in good shape for PGs now. I'm sure Roy is happy about that.

We still have Leaky who can play PG, too, but I don't expect many of his minutes to come there. Still, against some teams or in some situations, that's another option to discombobulate our foes.

Needless to say, I am tickled to death with this commitment. I do think that there will be movement this week in regards to BT. In any event, we have a dynamic backcourt that most all coaches would love to have. As far as I am concerned, there is only 1 recruitment that I will focus on, and that's Ziaire Williams. Get his commitment, and it's a wrap.

Any additions after this, would, of course, be welcome but, in totality, this group of recruits has to be one of the best we have ever gotten in one year, even rivaling the 2005-06 class. Personally, I think that this class has a more even distribution of talent across the board. Only my opinion of course, but it's exciting as hell to see this years class come to fruition.

I see this as really good for Jeremiah, too. If we assume he gets back to 100% on just the physical recovery side of things, he still needs to shed 2 years of rust. How great it will be to be able to practice against really good PGs and ease back into games gently.

Then when Caleb goes pro, Roy still has a solid 2-PG offense with RJ and Francis.

As far as I am concerned, there is only 1 recruitment that I will focus on, and that's Ziaire Williams. Get his commitment, and it's a wrap.
I'm sure we'd all like to have Ziaire. But suppose Walton wants to commit. Do we say "no" because we're waiting for Ziaire?

Suppose Bryce commits. I'm assuming we snap him up. But suppose Walton then says he wants to come on board, too. Most seem to think we will be able to come up with a scholarship for Ziaire, so do we use that for Walton, or make him wait to see what happens with Ziaire?

Personally, I'd be happy to have Walton. No, I'm not kidding myself that he'll be as good as the other 2 as a freshman. But he could be valuable for us for several seasons, not just 1.

WWJD, Your questions above may all be answered by the early period in November. Ziaire may go early as may Bryce.
Or by end of October! :eek:

his game reminds me of Joel Berry's...

Honestly, looks like a shorter version of Coby to me, thus my appreciation for his game as well as my concern. Coby was a 2 that was looking to convert to the PG role, Joel was is and will always be a PG. Davis is a short 2 guard Our last "short" 2 guard was nate Britt, while he was a similar height, Nate came in at what, 165lbs (may have been closer to 155) or so, got banged around a lot because he was so little. RJ Davis is listed at 165lbs (may be closer to 175lbs) as well but just looks a lot more filled out than Nate did. Looks to have one of those frames that will easy carry 185+.

The problem I saw with the Berry/Britt back court was first, Nate just was not real aggressive with the ball and we were not a great defensive back court in part due to being so small. I was more on board with bringing is a longer sweet jump shooting 2, we still may so we need to wait and see. Where Nate became just a catch and shoot guy, Davis does seem more able to create his own shot and more willing than some of our longer 2 guards have been, Kenny for example.

Don't want to come off as being less than excited about our getting Davis, he is a heck of a talent and most likely a 4yr fixture for us. Kid clearly wanted to be a Tar Heel, at very least after his visit and was not going to waste any time letting the world know where he wanted to be and risk someone else taking his spot, love those kids that want to be Tar Heels and jumping on the op ASAP..

Reactions: Heels5150
I'm sure we'd all like to have Ziaire. But suppose Walton wants to commit. Do we say "no" because we're waiting for Ziaire?

Suppose Bryce commits. I'm assuming we snap him up. But suppose Walton then says he wants to come on board, too. Most seem to think we will be able to come up with a scholarship for Ziaire, so do we use that for Walton, or make him wait to see what happens with Ziaire?

Personally, I'd be happy to have Walton. No, I'm not kidding myself that he'll be as good as the other 2 as a freshman. But he could be valuable for us for several seasons, not just 1.

WWJD----See my 2nd paragraph in my post above that you quoted partially

OK, so Davis is one thing but now, we really need to address the wing and Walton does not do that for us. Bryce is a shorter wing than we have had but @ as a long 6'4" and sweet shooting he could play some at the 3, Puff and ZW would either fit great. I have to ask, with Ant (who I think will be a really good player for us, Platek as a sweet shooting senior 2, now RJ Davis, and knowing Leaky prefers the 2 spot, seems like we are really full at the 2 unless it is a kid that can play either the 2 or 3, which frankly is a bit of a stretch for me to now see Bryce coming to us?

If we miss out on ZW or Puff, no matter if we get Bryce or not, I would seriously take a look at giving kessler some time at the 3. Kid is 7ft with a solid outside shot that may stretch well past the 3pt line. But think of our ability to rebound with a front line of Sharpe/Bacot, Brooks, and kessler, shot blocking anyone? Can he move his feet well enough to make that happen? Can you just see kessler posting up a typical college wing? LOL

Honestly, looks like a shorter version of Coby to me, thus my appreciation for his game as well as my concern. Coby was a 2 that was looking to convert to the PG role, Joel was is and will always be a PG. Davis is a short 2 guard Our last "short" 2 guard was nate Britt, while he was a similar height, Nate came in at what, 165lbs (may have been closer to 155) or so, got banged around a lot because he was so little. RJ Davis is listed at 165lbs (may be closer to 175lbs) as well but just looks a lot more filled out than Nate did. Looks to have one of those frames that will easy carry 185+.

The problem I saw with the Berry/Britt back court was first, Nate just was not real aggressive with the ball and we were not a great defensive back court in part due to being so small. I was more on board with bringing is a longer sweet jump shooting 2, we still may so we need to wait and see. Where Nate became just a catch and shoot guy, Davis does seem more able to create his own shot and more willing than some of our longer 2 guards have been, Kenny for example.

Don't want to come off as being less than excited about our getting Davis, he is a heck of a talent and most likely a 4yr fixture for us. Kid clearly wanted to be a Tar Heel, at very least after his visit and was not going to waste any time letting the world know where he wanted to be and risk someone else taking his spot, love those kids that want to be Tar Heels and jumping on the op ASAP..
You guys are worrying too much about his height. First of all, this is college we're talking about, not the NBA, and second, he's got long arms, so he'll play a bit taller. Berry was about the same height, but not as long, and I don't think he was as good a shooter coming out of high school as Davis is, either. I suspect UNC fans are gonna be really happy about having this kid.

You guys are worrying too much about his height. First of all, this is college we're talking about, not the NBA, and second, he's got long arms, so he'll play a bit taller. Berry was about the same height, but not as long, and I don't think he was as good a shooter coming out of high school as Davis is, either. I suspect UNC fans are gonna be really happy about having this kid.

Not in any way suggesting you are wrong, I personally do not see Joel Berry in RJ Davis's game, I see a shorter Coby more. Truth is, Coby was taller by at least 4" but Coby was not long for his height, Davis does appear to be very long for his listed height, IDK, they could be similar length even with Coby being a good bit taller. I see a lot of Coby like shake moves that allow Davis to get his shot off, watch his step back for example. Kid has really pretty form on his stroke and seems to always be on balance which is what you want from your sweet jump shooters!

Not in any way suggesting you are wrong, I personally do not see Joel Berry in RJ Davis's game, I see a shorter Coby more. Truth is, Coby was taller by at least 4" but Coby was not long for his height, Davis does appear to be very long for his listed height, IDK, they could be similar length even with Coby being a good bit taller. I see a lot of Coby like shake moves that allow Davis to get his shot off, watch his step back for example. Kid has really pretty form on his stroke and seems to always be on balance which is what you want from your sweet jump shooters!
I always said that Coby White was the shortest 6' 5" guy I had ever seen.

OK, so Davis is one thing but now, we really need to address the wing and Walton does not do that for us. Bryce is a shorter wing than we have had but @ as a long 6'4" and sweet shooting he could play some at the 3, Puff and ZW would either fit great. I have to ask, with Ant (who I think will be a really good player for us, Platek as a sweet shooting senior 2, now RJ Davis, and knowing Leaky prefers the 2 spot, seems like we are really full at the 2 unless it is a kid that can play either the 2 or 3, which frankly is a bit of a stretch for me to now see Bryce coming to us?

If we miss out on ZW or Puff, no matter if we get Bryce or not, I would seriously take a look at giving kessler some time at the 3. Kid is 7ft with a solid outside shot that may stretch well past the 3pt line. But think of our ability to rebound with a front line of Sharpe/Bacot, Brooks, and kessler, shot blocking anyone? Can he move his feet well enough to make that happen? Can you just see kessler posting up a typical college wing? LOL
OK, Kessler is ranked #15 in the nation. We are now hypothesizing that he could play the 3, 4 or 5. Yet somehow he is not OAD?

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my brain around that.

I do agree with you that we already look pretty good at SG. So arguably don't need either Bryce or Walton.

I don't like keeping all our eggs in the Ziaire basket, though. Is there another SF we should be looking at.

There's a North Carolina kid being recruited by Louisville, NC State and others. #41 Josh Hall. 6'9, 190. From the clips he's a long, smooth, shot blocker, decent passer with a good handle; plus he has an excellent short jumper (i.e., he's a zone buster).

I think he's been mentioned here before. Is there some reason why we aren't looking at him? Or is it just because we thought we were getting Ziaire?

Only one CB pick, so far, to NC State. But that doesn't mean much. Seems like he'd be a perfect fit for us. Might be 2AD or 3AD, but that's fine.

OK, Kessler is ranked #15 in the nation. We are now hypothesizing that he could play the 3, 4 or 5. Yet somehow he is not OAD?

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my brain around that.

I do agree with you that we already look pretty good at SG. So arguably don't need either Bryce or Walton.

I don't like keeping all our eggs in the Ziaire basket, though. Is there another SF we should be looking at.

There's a North Carolina kid being recruited by Louisville, NC State and others. #41 Josh Hall. 6'9, 190. From the clips he's a long, smooth, shot blocker, decent passer with a good handle; plus he has an excellent short jumper (i.e., he's a zone buster).

I think he's been mentioned here before. Is there some reason why we aren't looking at him? Or is it just because we thought we were getting Ziaire?

Only one CB pick, so far, to NC State. But that doesn't mean much. Seems like he'd be a perfect fit for us. Might be 2AD or 3AD, but that's fine.

Suffice it to say that Josh Hall is not a recruitment that UNC is comfortable with.

Reactions: DSouthr
Here is some footage of him at Peach Jam this past July.

He shot 45%+ from the 3-point line during the summer AAU season. These Peach Jam games were the first games that Roy saw him play in person. Roy then dispatched Hubert to see him in an open gym in New York. Soon after that Roy made the kid an offer.

Note the footage comparison to Vinnie Johnson, a former Detroit Pistons player.

Then finally, note the move he put on Suggs at Steph Curry's camp. Look at the expression on Curry's face.

He is not very athletic, but the kid shoots lights out. No doubt in my mind that he will get 15-20 minutes a game as a back-up in 2020 and starts in 2021.

Kid reminds me of another #2 that played here a while back...JB was one of my favorites too.

I am not going to spell it out for you. Just try to read between the lines. If the staff tells a recruit that they will not be recruiting him, there are red flags somewhere.
People on these boards often throw out that response. Sometimes it's right sometimes it's clearly wrong. So, no, I will not assume that a player has character flaws or handlers or whatever, unless or until someone "spells it out." These are just kids.

As for Josh Hall, the kid may fall in the category of "This is a recruitment that North Carolina does not normally win".....a code phrase that many insiders use for a variety of red flags that they never disclose to the masses.

I could throw a couple of guesses on what I perceive as the problems, but it may upset some folks.

Not one of the guesses, but his dad has a massive ego and has been parading around making it known that Josh is definitely OAD.

At Peach Jam his dad threw out a quote along the lines of:

" My son is one of the best players in the country and one of the best programs in North Carolina refuses to make an offer to my son because they don't want to be embarrassed when my son turns them down"

This is not a Carolina Way kid....next!

As for Josh Hall, the kid may fall in the category of "This is a recruitment that North Carolina does not normally win".....a code phrase that many insiders use for a variety of red flags that they never disclose to the masses.

I could throw a couple of guesses on what I perceive as the problems, but it may upset some folks.

Not one of the guesses, but his dad has a massive ego and has been parading around making it known that Josh is definitely OAD.

At Peach Jam his dad threw out a quote along the lines of:

" My son is one of the best players in the country and one of the best programs in North Carolina refuses to make an offer to my son because they don't want to be embarrassed when my son turns them down"

This is not a Carolina Way kid....next!
Well, the father sounds like a jerk. But Roy is a good teacher, so I don't see that as a reason to reject the son, even if the kid was raised by a jerk. With only a couple of rare exceptions, kids who come here become part of the family very quickly.

OTOH, if the father would force the son to reject our offer, then shame on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT