ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Williams & Hubert Davis Statements on Coach K

Deana_King

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 31, 2001
University of North Carolina statements on Mike Krzyzewski retiring after the 2021-22 season

Head Coach Hubert Davis

“Coach Krzyzewski’s career has been awesome. All of his accomplishments have elevated college and USA basketball for so many years. I’m so thankful and privileged that I was able to compete against his teams as a player, as an assistant coach, and now has a head coach this upcoming season. Carolina vs. Duke is the pinnacle of college basketball and the fact that his final game at Cameron will be against the Tar Heels adds more uniqueness and history to this great rivalry.”

Former head coach Roy Williams (from his comments at the Rex Hospital Open on June 1)

“Mike’s been fantastic for the game of basketball, he’s been fantastic for college basketball, been fantastic for the ACC, for the greatest rivalry in sports, Duke-North Carolina basketball. He’s been a good friend, a guy I’ve respected a great deal. He made everybody bring their ‘A’ game for years and years and years. In the old days it was a little easier. There weren’t as many teams. I can remember when the ACC was a seven-team league, now it’s 15. He’s just been phenomenal in everything he’s done.

“He’s a great family man. He’s going to enjoy his family a great deal. He’ll still be important in college athletics. He’ll still be important in college basketball…I look forward to talking to him and making sure he’s healthy. That’s the only thing I care about.

“It will be different. But Vic Bubas and Dean Smith left and Duke and North Carolina were still pretty good. Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski are leaving and (basketball is) still going to be pretty good in this area.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News