ADVERTISEMENT

Should the ATL cop face the death penalty?

bleeduncblue

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
this is a tough one for me. i've watched all the different videos and i can see it both ways ... Brooks definitely pointed the taser at the cops and pretty much anytime you point any weapon at a LEO, you're likely to be shot (though not always killed). thoughts?

as an aside, i can see the outcome of recent events causing a large percentage of "good" cops to get out of the business, leaving behind mostly "bad" cops with a renewed lack of accountability along brand new officers who are now influenced by the aforementioned bad cops. and things along the LEO/race relations lines wont improve at all.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Yeah I agree this is a really tough one. I don’t blame the chief for stepping down and getting the **** out of there. The cops behavior after the fact certainly won’t help him but you could say that’s irrelevant as well. Bottom line to me it’s similar to if you hit a car from behind it’s always gonna be your fault and if you shoot somebody in the back it’s tough to claim self-defense. Seems it’s gonna be tough to convict him though.

I haven't seen a video that shows the actual shots but from what I can see I'm on the cop's side on this one. The dude tried to run while getting cuffed, fought with them on the ground, repeatedly grabbed for the taser and pointed it at them.

At some point you're a drunk idiot that things it's ok to fight with police, steal a weapon from them, and point it at them. Do all of that and guess what, you're gonna get shot.

I also see zero racial factors here, this could have easily been a drunk white guy with the same result.

No one in that entire altercation deserved a death sentence.
“Let’s not shoot him, he’s only raped one woman and a rape isn’t worth a life”
“Let him go, he’s just a suspected murderer brandishing a firearm, the public safety isn’t worth his life”.
“The guy in that car could be drunk, but let’s not stop him, because he’s black and he may resist, and if he happens to steal my sidearm, it will look bad when we have to let him go”.

This is not going to end well for anyone. Its tough because I think there is some merit for the officer maybe doing something that could have ended up costing him his job but criminal im not sure.

The DA is a dumb ass and he will be the one responsible when his ends in a mistrial and the city get burned to the ground.

2 weeks ago he ruled and tazer was a deadly weapon then in this case he rules it not a deadly weapon. He went on and on about how Mr. Brooks is peaceful and never mentioned that he whipped the 2 cops asses stole the tazer and tried to run.

He literally made out like he turned his back on the cops and they shot him.

He over charged and im not sure its legal, being charged with felony murder is like if you kill some while in the act of committing a felony. What felony did the officer commit before shooting the guy that fought him took his tazer and then tried to get away?

It will be interesting!

“Let’s not shoot him, he’s only raped one woman and a rape isn’t worth a life”
“Let him go, he’s just a suspected murderer brandishing a firearm, the public safety isn’t worth his life”.
“The guy in that car could be drunk, but let’s not stop him, because he’s black and he may resist, and if he happens to steal my sidearm, it will look bad when we have to let him go”.

From what I see in this video, no one (not even the cop) deserves a death sentence.

In case any nuance is lost on anyone, I mean that Brooks didn't DESERVE to be shot and killed. I understand why he was shot and killed. I just don't think it was necessary to kill him. The police didn't even deserve to be suspended or fired, either. I dunno if they were charged with anything, but they shouldn't be. I don't see this as a racially-motivated, or racist event at all. Brooks went way out his way to get the police to resort to shooting him. I wish they hadn't, but I completely understand why they did.

Last edited:
Officer should walk. Defense will be easy. He can claim shock after getting his ass kicked. Officer should not be in Law Enforcement. Made way too many mistakes.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
He should walk. At some point, we need to re-establish to society that fighting/arguing with a police officer is a bad thing, regardless of if the cop is a meanie or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT