ADVERTISEMENT

Shout-Out to Joel Berry . .

BillyL

Resident Idiot
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
Hey Joel . . just wanna say thanks for your fantastic effort today. Your 8 points carried the team in the 1st half . .

Originally posted by BillyL:
Hey Joel . . just wanna say thanks for your fantastic effort today. Your 8 points carried the team in the 1st half . .
and 1^

No question Bill with hardly anything from James, Johnson, Paige, Jackson and Tokoto in the first half, Berry,s eight points kept UNC in the game.

I have been telling yall, an investment in PT for Berry would pay really nice dividends, you are beginning to really see what I have been preaching for a year now. Frankly, I felt, you guys know because you read my words about this to the extent I felt I was harping but I wanted Joel to be handed the PG role day 1 and I have never backed away from that. I really wanted himn to be much more experienced by this time, glad he is getting good run now but fear he may have some more freshman mistakes in him and really hope they do not pop up at a critical time. Joel is tuff as a Waffle House steak thou, kid will find a way to push thru those things he is not overly confident in doing right now.

By the way, sorry if I insulted wolf pack fans by my Waffle House steak comment, I know those wuffies try to cook them as good as they can... :)

Originally posted by DSouthr:
I have been telling yall, an investment in PT for Berry would pay really nice dividends, you are beginning to really see what I have been preaching for a year now. Frankly, I felt, you guys know because you read my words about this to the extent I felt I was harping but I wanted Joel to be handed the PG role day 1 and I have never backed away from that. I really wanted himn to be much more experienced by this time, glad he is getting good run now but fear he may have some more freshman mistakes in him and really hope they do not pop up at a critical time. Joel is tuff as a Waffle House steak thou, kid will find a way to push thru those things he is not overly confident in doing right now.

By the way, sorry if I insulted wolf pack fans by my Waffle House steak comment, I know those wuffies try to cook them as good as they can... :)
Spot on, Dave. And JB got hosed on a couple of calls when he got penalized for good defense. Louisville "offensive flops" as bad as dook, and never get called for their elbows and push-offs.

Roy needs to trust JB tomorrow if we're gonna beat the Cavs. That toughness will be key vs their guards. Gimme that, more of the Brice that showed up the past 2 games, and just half-way decent reffing and lessee what happens.

JB has a very bright future ahead of him. Glad to see him carry the team through a tough stretch today. Best pure point guard on the team, hands down. If he gets hot down the stretch, we could make some noise.

He is a Shane Larkin clone. He will be unstoppable next year.

Thanks for reminding those, David, that keep spouting we don't recruit, or have no shooters...not a dang one of those "fans" have noticed the uptick in % over the past 6-7 games for our guards.

as an aside, little Stillman is all growed up, now ain't he?
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Tom79:

Thanks for reminding those, David, that keep spouting we don't recruit, or have no shooters...not a dang one of those "fans" have noticed the uptick in % over the past 6-7 games for our guards.

smokin.r191677.gif
Yep. We had a great recruiting class whose effectiveness was slowed by injuries. Three McD AAs. And Joel Berry was the best pure PG in that 2014 class. He was better than Tyus Jones in HS and had he gotten the early season minutes Jones got he'd be better right now.

Originally posted by gary-7:

smokin.r191677.gif
Yep. We had a great recruiting class whose effectiveness was slowed by injuries. Three McD AAs. And Joel Berry was the best pure PG in that 2014 class. He was better than Tyus Jones in HS and had he gotten the early season minutes Jones got he'd be better right now.
Berry wasn't better than Jones in HS, and the ratings showed it . . . Jones was the 2nd overall top PG in his class, behind only Emmanuel Muddiay.

Tyler Ulis . . Dante Exum . . Parker Jackson-Cartwright were all rated higher than Berry. Joel was a 4 star PG, those others I listed were all 5 star kids.

And Joel Berry was the best pure PG in that 2014 class. He was better than Tyus Jones in HS and had he gotten the early season minutes Jones got he'd be better right now.
gary, love me some Berry but come on man! He didn't distance himself from Britt until about half way thru the season THEN he got hurt/sick, that slowed him down. Glad the light has come on and he's coming on strong. VERY GLAD we have him, but he wasn't ALL WORLD early on.

and none of 'em were Mr. basketball 3x in Fla.
wink.r191677.gif

Vince only did it once.

I do agree Billy, JBII needs some more court time. I'd love to see Berry, Paige, Hicks, Johnson and Meeks as a five more often.

Tom, guess who was "Mr Basketball" in Miss a few years back?

Clue: We called him "The Cornell"

Also many years back "Mr Basketball" in OK was Steve Hale, guess who was in that same class?

Clue: He played for GT.

cool.r191677.gif

smokin.r191677.gif
Berry wasn't better than Jones in HS, and the ratings showed it . . . Jones was the 2nd overall top PG in his class, behind only Emmanuel Muddiay.

Tyler Ulis . . Dante Exum . . Parker Jackson-Cartwright were all rated higher than Berry. Joel was a 4 star PG, those others I listed were all 5 star kids.
Sorry, but my eyes don't lie, and not to sound arrogant, but I'll take my talent-evaluating skills and those of the coaches I know and trust over most anyone who works for recruiting sites. Not to call anyone out, but politics are what they are, and I'll leave it at that.

I kept a pretty close eye on this class coming up. In fact I was first turned on to Berry by a couple of buddies who still coach in AAU (One of them, who coached Marcus Georges-Hunt, also gave me heads-up about Justin Jackson's uncanny skills a few years back). These guys will tell you that the only thing that held Berry's rating back was his propensity to be a team player even in AAU where most guys care more about showing out (and sadly that's the way you get the lofty ratings from sites like this).

I'll put it this way: None of the guys you mentioned (save Dante Exum, who BTW was not recruited by anyone as a college PG), if they traded places with JB would be capable of being 3-time Florida Player of the Year.

Got to give Gary7 and dSouthr credit for sticking to their guns early and often about the coming of Berry as a positive force for the Carolina basketball team. Yes like the stock exchange he had been up and down this year as a freshman but he seems to be beginning to understand his role now. The one thing he does bring to the table is unlike Britt and Paige he does not mind going to the hole.

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
And Joel Berry was the best pure PG in that 2014 class. He was better than Tyus Jones in HS and had he gotten the early season minutes Jones got he'd be better right now.
gary, love me some Berry but come on man! He didn't distance himself from Britt until about half way thru the season THEN he got hurt/sick, that slowed him down. Glad the light has come on and he's coming on strong. VERY GLAD we have him, but he wasn't ALL WORLD early on.
If, Berry had the talent that Jones possesses, then he would've been starting at UNC from DAY1, like a few posters on this board predicted he was going to do. But, he doesn't and that's the pure fact of the matter.

I know what my eyes see, and those facts back up what I'm seeing . .
wink.r191677.gif

Tom, guess who was "Mr Basketball" in Miss a few years back?

Clue: We called him "The Cornell"

Also many years back "Mr Basketball" in OK was Steve Hale, guess who was in that same class?

Clue: He played for GT.

cool.r191677.gif
This is exactly why I pay ZERO attention to basketball or football recruiting. I have no idea who is even supposed to enroll next year for us, let alone who Roy has been scouting in later classes.

If, Berry had the talent that Jones possesses, then he would've been starting at UNC from DAY1, like a few posters on this board predicted he was going to do. But, he doesn't and that's the pure fact of the matter.

I know what my eyes see, and those facts back up what I'm seeing . .
wink.r191677.gif
Billy, I love ya, brother, but playing PG at dook and Carolina are 2 VERY different animals. The responsibilities here are head and shoulders greater in our system than in K's shortcut Dribble-drive. And if it's taking some of y'all this long to figure out that JB is on a different plane than Britt, well.... bless your hearts.

billy i am with you on this. jones is a beast. if berry is anywhere as good as jones them i will be a happy camper.

mike.......the answer is mark price.

I'm not sure how you measure the two as being "better." I think Berry will soon be a vital player to the UNC team.

One thing I notice Tyus Jones does a lot is, any time he draws, or gets any contact, he instantly reacts in typical, dramatic dook fashion. He flails his arms, or exaggerates the contact by contorting his body, and the body part that's been touched, and his face has a look like he's been hit in the ass with bird-shot.

Originally posted by strummingram:
I'm not sure how you measure the two as being "better." I think Berry will soon be a vital player to the UNC team.

One thing I notice Tyus Jones does a lot is, any time he draws, or gets any contact, he instantly reacts in typical, dramatic dook fashion. He flails his arms, or exaggerates the contact by contorting his body, and the body part that's been touched, and his face has a look like he's been hit in the ass with bird-shot.
THAT is something he was taught at dook. He takes out of control drives as gets bailed out on non-fouls over and over. The "offensive flop" is a dookie specialty. Jones is following the tradition of Reddick and Sheyrer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT