ADVERTISEMENT

Simeon Wilcher - My Observations

dadika13

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
NYC
I was able to catch Simeon live tonight for the first time in a long time as Roselle Catholic won the sectional finals.

Wilcher's stat line scoring wise wasn't great (I think he was about 2-8 for 6 points) but it doesn't even remotely come close to telling the full story. He had 6 assists (I counted only 1 turnover) and 6 steals (more on this later). They also only credited him for 4 rebounds but I counted 7.

Things I liked:

- His vision and unselfishness is exceptional.

I thought we had to wait for Cadeau to get a pass first floor general but man Simeon was just that tonight at the highest possible level. His head is always up, always looking up the court on a break and always looking for the open guy when he gets doubled on a drive. The 6 assists could have easily been 12 if his guys finished around the rim better. Then there is the unselfishness. His entire game is how can he make his teammates better and set them up for their shot. My brother went to the game with me (he's a former high D1 PG) and he couldn't get over how he was always pass first. It's just very rare these days. Mgbako (top 10 player going to Duke) had 26 and I'd say 20 of those were directly set up by something Simeon did.

- His handle is an A+

He controlled the ball for probably 60-70% of Roselle's offense and not once did he come close to a turnover while dribbling. He was being pressured heavily and it didn't matter, the ball is on a string with him and it's always being protected. He's also one of those kids who almost seems faster with the ball in his hands. He glides up the court and was the fastest guy on the court by far.

- His defense is ACC ready

This kid has a nose for the ball that is so rare. The 6 steals weren't from bad passes by the other team or loose balls, they were Simeon creating a turnover when a guy penetrated because his hands are so active and he created loose balls. He did this over and over with only 1 foul all game, he is just so good at finding the weak spot when a guy drives and shows the ball when he shouldn't.

- He plays very physical

He's one of those very physical PGs who loves contact and can still make a pass/layup with contact. He's one of those guys that's going to go to the line a lot (he didn't tonight because they doubled his drives and he correctly found a teammate for a layup when they did). That physicality is also there on the defensive end, he's going to fight through screens and body guys trying to get by him.

Things he'll need to work on and concerns:

- His shot wasn't falling tonight and hasn't consistently most of the season

This is the glaring piece of his game that needs some polish. The form is great and he gets really nice lift on his jumper, he just needs to make more shots consistently. He had a few that were right there tonight and just didn't drop. I think he'll develop it but as a freshman coming in, don't count on 35% from 3.

- I'm not sure him and Cadeau can/should play together

They are SO similar from what I've seen/heard of Cadeau. Pass first, not great shooters, very athletic PGs. Which one of them moves off the ball? Good luck to HD on that one because I just don't see it right now unless we had 3 elite shooters on the court with them.

Overall, my biggest takeaway watching him live was that he's ready. He does many things at a very high D1 level already and minus a few freshman hiccups, I'd trust him to run our offense immediately in 2023-24. I've heard the argument on him vs. Trimble but I think Simeon is a much better player right now. He's a better scorer, he's bigger and more physical, and the defense is right there with Seth. My prediction (assuming no one reclasses and Caleb leaves) is that Simeon starts at the 1 next year with RJ sliding to the 2. I think that's our best lineup.

We got a really really good one. I can't wait to see him in Carolina Blue next fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News