ADVERTISEMENT

Soft White Underbelly... You Tube Channel

strummingram

Hall of Famer
Oct 1, 2010
I've been kinda binge-watching this channel. It's one of the most unique that I've ever come across. Mark Laita is the photographer and interviewer. I think this is some kind of effort to bring awareness to the public about the... "soft white underbelly"... of American society.

It seems like a modern-day example of the 19th century's "How The Other Half Lives", which brought attention to the slums of NYC in the 1880s.

He has literally hundreds of subjects. They range from drug addicts (all kinds of drugs), prostitutes, sex workers, retired police, mafia members, war vets, gang members, homeless, nudists, white supremacists, people who have endured all manner of trauma. Some of the most interesting, to me, are the interviews with people in Appalachia (close to home for me, now). I've seen some of the most disturbing things that I've ever seen. But, I've also managed to see some things that were pretty inspiring.

Check it out!

Here are some examples:

Last edited:
I’ve watched a few of those. Some of their stories are completely insane. But also hard to listen to and very depressing in many cases.

I’ve watched a few of those. Some of their stories are completely insane. But also hard to listen to and very depressing in many cases.
Yeah... it's like "I'm in a great mood... what can I do to become depressed?" Watch a few of those. I don't know how the guy can interview all those people.

I had no idea anyone else here knew of Laita and his work. I discovered Mark and his videos some time back, including those featuring the Whittaker family of West Virginia. Many of Mark's followers make monetary contributions which he then turns around and gives to some of his more needy subjects, like the Whittakers.

Sometimes when it's really slow around here I'll click on one of the Whittaker videos as a good substitute. Ray, the one who barks like a dog, reminds me of bluetoe. 🤪
The Whittakers-Spring 2022

Last edited:
I had no idea anyone else here knew of Laita and his work. I discovered Mark and his videos some time back, including those featuring the Whittaker family of West Virginia. Many of Mark's followers make monetary contributions which he then turns around and gives to some of his more needy subjects, like the Whittakers.

Sometimes when it's really slow around here I'll click on one of the Whittaker videos as a good substitute. Ray, the one who barks like a dog, reminds me of bluetoe. 🤪
The Whittakers-Spring 2022
The videos with the Whittakers is the most disturbing... to me! That's just how I'm wired, I guess. I mean, all of the trauma-from-childhood interviews are depressing. But, those people in "Odd, WV" are just jarring for me. That inbreeding stuff is just bizarre. The abnormalities they produce is just too much. And, the squalor makes it even more tragic. One thing I find interesting is how well-fed and fit their dogs seem to be! The dogs look really happy/content!

The videos with the Whittakers is the most disturbing... to me! That's just how I'm wired, I guess. I mean, all of the trauma-from-childhood interviews are depressing. But, those people in "Odd, WV" are just jarring for me. That inbreeding stuff is just bizarre. The abnormalities they produce is just too much. And, the squalor makes it even more tragic. One thing I find interesting is how well-fed and fit their dogs seem to be! The dogs look really happy/content!
Yes, they are some happy dogs, the entire pack of them.

The effects of crystal meth:
I haven't watched man, if any, of the addict interviews. The fentanyl, meth, etc.. The channel is loaded with them, but I haven't watched the addiction interviews.

As I said earlier, I don't know HOW this guy endures all of this, and all in-person! I wonder how he manages to recruit people to be interviewed. And, he's all over the country! Another thing that I find interesting is how almost ALL of the comments on the videos are empathetic, supportive and just positive, in general. I don't know if they get monitored and the negative comment are removed, or what. It's amazing how all of the people who comment are generously empathetic.

Reactions: Heels Noir
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT