ADVERTISEMENT

Some noteworthy quotes from Hubert last night

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
On what the evening like for him:

“Well, the process of getting ready for the game and during the game was the same as it was in the exhibition game against Elizabeth City. It's basketball, it's our team, it's our program. In terms of the preparations and during the play, everything else was the same. Where it was really emotional was after the game. Going through the tunnel, my wife was there, my three kids. My oldest son Elijah, who is a freshman at the University of Lynchburg, he had come back to be at my first game, my dad was there, my sister.

"Pete Chilcutt was my roommate here at Carolina, he flew from Sacramento California, and he was in the tunnel. Just seeing all the people that have been there for me my entire life. All the emotions I have felt over the last seven months just came. One of the things that I always tell the guys, it's ok to be emotional because it means you care. I care about this place, and this program, and this university so much, that was the only difference after the game, just seeing a lot of family and friends and it being a very emotional moment.”

On former Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge secretary (and mother of the program) Linda Woods:

"Just walking through the tunnel, one of the people in the tunnel was Linda Woods, long-time receptionist, and secretary for Coach Smith and Coach Guthridge. I had mentioned before coming out of high school and coming to Carolina there were a number of things that I needed. One of the things that I needed was a mom because my mom had passed away when I was 16. I call her mom Woods. She was my mom, she was the one that cared for me, really supported me, and gave me a hug. We have been unbelievable friends for so long, to be able to go through the tunnel and spend a little bit of time with Ms. Woods was really special; for me.”

Getting the first game out of the way:

“I understand where you are coming from because it is a big deal, it's emotional it’s a change, and me being in this role is different. I understand the impact of me being in this position, and what this program has done in the past, and what we’re planning to do in the future. So, I love all the questions you guys ask and I totally understand 100 percent where you are coming from.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News