ADVERTISEMENT

Soon-to-be Tar Heel raising level of play even with college future secure

DF1972

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2006
As a junior, Ladowski was a fixture at shortstop. Ramsey worked out Ladowski at the position some during tryouts, but his plan all along was to move the future North Carolina Tar Heel baseball player into the outfield.

"That's where he's going to fit almost certainly at Carolina, so I think we're doing the best thing for him but also, at the exact same time, we're doing the best thing for our club," said Ramsey, who replaced veteran Robert Little this season as Lake Norman head coach.

"Zach Little has done a great job at shortstop. With his move there, it opened up second base for a couple of juniors that had been competing for that job. Just all the way up the middle we have a very solid defense."

Ladowski hasn't let up at the plate either. He finished 3 for 4 against West Iredell, raising his batting average to .523.

Lake Norman's leadoff hitter boasts a .611 on-base percentage and a .705 slugging percentage. He's struck out only seven times in 44 at-bats.

Success on the diamond follows a sensational senior year on the gridiron as Lake Norman's quarterback.

Ladowski broke state records previously held by former Charlotte Independence and Florida Gators quarterback Chris Leak en route to being named Gatorade Player of the Year and Associated Press Player of the Year in North Carolina. He not only led the Wildcats to their first conference title and first playoff win but also to the 4AA West region final before losing to two-time state champion Mallard Creek.

In December, Ladowski signed with North Carolina. He plays this spring like he has something to prove, though. His batting average is up more than 200 points from last season and, as displayed with the spectacular defensive grab in the outfield Tuesday, he hasn't lost his hustle.

"It hasn't gone to his head at all," Ramsey said. "I think he's working harder this year than before, maybe. Granted, I wasn't here in the past, but he's tearing it up right now. He's not taking any of it for granted by any means. He wants to go out, produce and win."

JacobL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT