ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship

mahncpa1

Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2004
Mack Brown used to talk about winning the State Championship which used to mean beating dook, moou and weak forest.
Now it could be expanded to include ezu. It appears that beating these teams is not the priority it once was. I would think
that bragging rights over the schools in your own state would still mean something, at least in recruiting in state players. The effort against ezu and moou this season was horrible. It was almost like our guys beat dook and thought they could just show up against state. I stupidly hoped that this team had made improvements and had figured a few things out by winning 4 of the previous 5 games. Then Saturday happened and the reality is that this group is still very average at best. Beating Ga. Tech and dook were nice highlights, but losing to ezu by a gazillion and then the effort against moou were a harsh counter balance. Maybe we can one day hope to cheer for a team that at least gives their best effort against the in state schools. This year our record was a disappointing 1-2 against those schools.

There will be many "reasons" offered for our play this season. Some are legitimate (youth, injuries, fewer scholarship players), others are opinion or bias (coaching, defensive scheme, play-calling). But in my opinion there has been something about this team that has been a mystery all year. In spite of the legitimate reasons given above, we have had talent. We probably weren't as good as ECU, but certainly should not have allowed them 70 points. The same with some of the other big losses (Miami, Clemson, etc.) The scores did not reflect the difference in talent, IMO. I think we are better than State, and I don't think our coaches are idiots or incompetent. But for some reason this team in many games has lacked the fire, drive and hustle it takes to be a winner. Some will blame that on the coaches, or the seniors or..... - I don't know. There has just been some indefinable "aura" over the team this year on several occasions that is hard to understand or explain.

Originally posted by mahncpa1:

Mack Brown used to talk about winning the State Championship which used to mean beating dook, moou and weak forest.
Now it could be expanded to include ezu. It appears that beating these teams is not the priority it once was. I would think
that bragging rights over the schools in your own state would still mean something, at least in recruiting in state players. The effort against ezu and moou this season was horrible. It was almost like our guys beat dook and thought they could just show up against state. I stupidly hoped that this team had made improvements and had figured a few things out by winning 4 of the previous 5 games. Then Saturday happened and the reality is that this group is still very average at best. Beating Ga. Tech and dook were nice highlights, but losing to ezu by a gazillion and then the effort against moou were a harsh counter balance. Maybe we can one day hope to cheer for a team that at least gives their best effort against the in state schools. This year our record was a disappointing 1-2 against those schools.
Agreed. Hey look, I'm a realist. I know that UNC football is never going to be king. And I'm ok with that. 7-5 records won't be the death of me. But losing the way we lose is just embarrassing. When you lose, just make games competitive. Be in every game late in the game. Losing is fine. Getting your doors blown off isn't - especially against mediocre teams and especially against teams in your state.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

Originally posted by mahncpa1:

Agreed. Hey look, I'm a realist. I know that UNC football is never going to be king. And I'm ok with that. 7-5 records won't be the death of me. But losing the way we lose is just embarrassing. When you lose, just make games competitive. Be in every game late in the game. Losing is fine. Getting your doors blown off isn't - especially against mediocre teams and especially against teams in your state.
BINGO - we have a winner. There is absolutely no excuse for not coming out pumped to beat State. UNC has a better team and could have crushed them, but the lackluster play and coaching gave the Heels zero chance. I don't like having back to back rival games. Need to spread out the Duke and State games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT