ADVERTISEMENT

Stewart & hughes suspended

I heard some fraternity borther's dad wants justice. This coupled with the injuries just gives me a bad feeling.
dad won't have to catch the crap the kid will if this messes things up too much.
some people mouth off to the wrong person.
the kid may or may not have deserved this.

dad won't have to catch the crap the kid will if this messes things up too much.
some people mouth off to the wrong person.
the kid may or may not have deserved this.
If there is any more violence associated with this mess toward anyone not on the football team, you can count on the anti-football team part of the UNC campus to raise Hell. So Fedora better squash these players and make certain all team members are on board.

This immediately comes to mind

my-daddy-will-sue-you-outfit.jpg

This immediately comes to mind

my-daddy-will-sue-you-outfit.jpg
If Hunter Furr's dad had sued UNC over that sucker punching POS, with multiple gang banger type tattoos, Dante Paige Moss, then we might be better off today.

We already know that Stewart is immature and that he is very quick tempered and prone to violence, all wrapped in his sports/macho ego. That being the case, the wise man will assume it is more than possible that whatever happened was due primarily to Stewart. If Stewart came to campus with any record that indicates the possibility of violence, and this goes to court, UNC football could pay another hefty price.

Reactions: wplion
Not defending these guys at all, but I wanna hear ALL sides before I pass judgment. Frat boys tend to be a pretty despicable, irritating bunch of instigators.....as a general rule. Again, not defending the players, but not ready to condemn, either.

I agree 100%.

If Hunter Furr's dad had sued UNC over that sucker punching POS, with multiple gang banger type tattoos, Dante Paige Moss, then we might be better off today.

We already know that Stewart is immature and that he is very quick tempered and prone to violence, all wrapped in his sports/macho ego. That being the case, the wise man will assume it is more than possible that whatever happened was due primarily to Stewart. If Stewart came to campus with any record that indicates the possibility of violence, and this goes to court, UNC football could pay another hefty price.

I'm not ruling anything out. I just thought the meme was kinda funny, and relevant. These guys never cease to amaze me. Even if he was provoked, how is throwing a punch ever worth giving up the opportunity to wear that jersey?...

A good rule of thumb for football and basketball players is to stay away from frat parties unless you are a member of that frat. I also throw in avoid Raleigh and Durham at night except on game days when you play there.

Depends on the frat party. Let's just say they seem to not have problems when they go to Que, Kappa, Alpha, Sigma, AKA. Delta, Zeta parties. What I really hate is punk boys who talk trash and can't back it up. If you are selling wolf tickets and you can't back it up, be man enough to keep it moving and not run to the police because you signed a check your arse cash. Ran into the same stuff during my college years. Frat boys were extremely bold when they had the numbers and became extremely bolder when security came around (we were at university square parking lot and in fact, it was 4 against 2). My dorm mate and I were coming from Fowler's when we ran into two friends of mine from home and that is when the tables turned. The frat boys were not as brave when the numbers evened up. They only returned to selling wolf tickets when the security guard came over. They were really lucky because they were going to catch a really good beating.

I hate to admit, but in terms of guilt, I would see this situation entirely differently if it occurred somewhere else other than that frat house. Maybe i'm prejudging the frat guys, but it seems easy to believe they weren't entirely innocent. Of course i know nothing, for all i know it could have been non-frat people that stirred up the problems.

I hate to admit, but in terms of guilt, I would see this situation entirely differently if it occurred somewhere else other than that frat house. Maybe i'm prejudging the frat guys, but it seems easy to believe they weren't entirely innocent. Of course i know nothing, for all i know it could have been non-frat people that stirred up the problems.
Or Stewart and Hughes could be guilty as sin. We just really don't know.

The nastiest fight on a campus I ever saw the results of was between a group of black athletes (about equal numbers of football and basketball players, with a couple of track guys) and a black fraternity. The black frat had 0 black athletes, and a few of the black athletes were in another black frat. The athletes crashed the black frat party - they were not invited. When the frat leadership told them to leave, they, with their sense of scholarship athlete entitlement, began demanding that they had a right to stay and would leave only if the wuss boys of that frat could make them. The frat guys probably did put their hands on jocks to try to start pushing them out the door. For certain, jocks got in the first blows and ganged a couple of smaller frat guys and beat them badly. It was covered up because the campus and town black political structure was 100% pro-college black athlete and the university administratiion wished to avoid scandal with the athletes.

If Stewart and Hughes were on fraternity property or at a fraternity function and did anything other than innocently get beaten up, they were in the wrong.

If Stewart and Hughes were on fraternity property or at a fraternity function and did anything other than innocently get beaten up, they were in the wrong.
Not gonna turn this into a legal discussion, but the above is not even close to correct. By this logic, on fraternity property, fraternity members can do whatever they want to non-fraternity members, be it assault, rape, torment, make terroristic threats, etc. etc. Normal laws still apply on fraternity property.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I never felt compelled to join clubs/gangs/frats and surround myself with a bunch of guys for whatever they get from it. Closest thing i guess was playing ball and being part of that male bonding. But without the game i could care less about the companionship. I did enjoy visiting frat court parties and poaching their women and beer though.

One year for Halloween, the ~20 or so guys on my dormitory hall all dressed up as frat boys: khaki shorts, long sleeve button-down shirt, tie, boat shoes, baseball cap, and Ray-Bans with Croakies.

We were a force to be reckoned with (also easy to pick each other out of the crowd on Franklin Street).

One year for Halloween, the ~20 or so guys on my dormitory hall all dressed up as frat boys: khaki shorts, long sleeve button-down shirt, tie, boat shoes, baseball cap, and Ray-Bans with Croakies.

We were a force to be reckoned with (also easy to pick each other out of the crowd on Franklin Street).
43397-David-Tennant-laughing-gif-asgo.gif

Reactions: uncboy10
Crackride is going nuts...Last time I looked it was about 13 pages worth...They are not happy...

Crackride is going nuts...Last time I looked it was about 13 pages worth...They are not happy...
the same fanbase who had a player that didn't miss a game for kickin' a chick's azz? Their unhappiness is mutually inclusive to my happiness

Reactions: Raising Heel
Interesting thread.

Fraternities are fine and not being in a fraternity is fine. Who GAF?
Yep, all the posters in this thread would fit in great at UNC. Carolina, without a doubt, is the single-most hostile campus between fraternities and non-fraternity members. The sheer disdain that unaffiliated students have towards Greeks at UNC is mind-boggling. People at Carolina HATE fraternities.

It's a 180 degree difference from the year I spent at UGA where you're either in a fraternity or pretend like you're in one. I mean I get why it happens at UNC (*cough* all the Republicans on campus are in fraternities *cough*), but it's still mind-boggling. There's a lot of pent-up hate and resentment on campus at Carolina that goes far beyond academics vs athletics. Everyone at Carolina needs to goosfrabba.

I mean I get why it happens at UNC (*cough* all the Republicans on campus are in fraternities *cough*), but it's still mind-boggling.
Link?

I imagine the actual reason non-Greeks at UNC dislike the Greeks is because of the way most Greeks conduct themselves. Again, just speaking from personal experience, the only fight I've been in as an adult was instigated by a frat brother who couldn't hold his liquor. I've also personally witnessed some pretty awful behavior at their parties and at other Greek-sponsored events. And I'm just one dude.

Anybody ever just go to Crackride and read the threads and laugh their azz off...I mean they are nuts...They are now leaving for the SEC again and UK will be their main rival in Bball...I mean a coworker just asked me what are you laughing at...I told him it's a Pack thing you wouldn't understand...

Reactions: The Sharkster
I think the punishment is a joke and nobody learned anything. This was a second offense for MJ. Both players appear to be under 21. They were at a fraternity at 2:30 am. This is mid season. Clearly there was an altercation where an individual was hurt by a punch thrown by an athlete. In the very least, really bad judgement and decision making. Do you really think a one week suspension and missing a game versus the worst team in the league sent a message? I think not.

I think the punishment is a joke and nobody learned anything. This was a second offense for MJ. Both players appear to be under 21. They were at a fraternity at 2:30 am. This is mid season. Clearly there was an altercation where an individual was hurt by a punch thrown by an athlete. In the very least, really bad judgement and decision making. Do you really think a one week suspension and missing a game versus the worst team in the league sent a message? I think not.
Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your second post. :confused:

Reactions: Raising Heel
Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your second post. :confused:
Grillheel, I am a huge college football fan. I have season tickets to two different Division 1 Schools. I went to another University, but have a son at UNC. I also know a player from Charlotte on the team very well. I am a Tarheel fan. However, I also am old school and hard line and I think the coach should be a "molder of men". Think if the kid who got "knocked out" was your son, do you think you would be happy with the punishment?

Grillheel, I am a huge college football fan. I have season tickets to two different Division 1 Schools. I went to another University, but have a son at UNC. I also know a player from Charlotte on the team very well. I am a Tarheel fan. However, I also am old school and hard line and I think the coach should be a "molder of men". Think if the kid who got "knocked out" was your son, do you think you would be happy with the punishment?
I'd be unhappy that my son was a p****y and didn't fight better.

Also, Tar Heels* -- thanks.

Also, you have no idea what behind-the-scenes punishment/warning/ultimatum Fedora and staff gave M.J. and/or Hughes, so................

Link?

I imagine the actual reason non-Greeks at UNC dislike the Greeks is because of the way most Greeks conduct themselves. Again, just speaking from personal experience, the only fight I've been in as an adult was instigated by a frat brother who couldn't hold his liquor. I've also personally witnessed some pretty awful behavior at their parties and at other Greek-sponsored events. And I'm just one dude.
Link is my own experience. Are some fraternity dudes complete cliche and obnoxious? Yes. Are all of them? No. There is an intense on-campus hatred of anything Republican at Carolina. I'm not even just saying that.....I just graduated 3.5 years ago, trust me it's there.

The Greek - non-Greek feud at Carolina is beyond ridiculous.

Well, I apologize if I offended you. However, your post, especially considering it was your first on this board, appeared "trollish" to me. If it was my son, I would indeed not be happy about many things concerning this situation. However, my son did graduate from UNC and somehow managed to avoid any altercations with athletes during his four years there. I don't know all the facts concerning this case, but, as of right now, I have every confidence that Coach Fedora has handled it correctly. Again, if I offended you, I apologize.

I don't know all the facts concerning this case, but, as of right now, I have every confidence that Coach Fedora has handled it correctly.
Same. Fedora knows the constraints he's working under, the specter of the local media looking to pounce, and the general "attitude" toward UNC Football right now. I trust the decisions he makes. He's brought in, overall, a bunch of fine young men to represent this university and I trust his decisions.

I do think that M.J. Stewart is on his absolute last strike as of now though. He better take Hank Williams' words in "I Saw the Light" to heart:

I was a fool to wander and stray,
For straight is the gate,
And narrow's the way.
Now I have traded the wrong for the right,
Praise the Lord, I saw the light.

Let's hope we have absolutely no more issues with players being part of trouble. But if Fedora is going light on them, others will misbehave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT