ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs Canes game thread

Proud of the effort. Just too many TO's by the offense(4 in the 2nd half alone) and catastrophic plays by the defense. 1-8 and 0-6. Last place in the entire league. We've given up 104 more points than we've scored.

Yikes.

Last edited:
Take aways from this game:

1. If Miami had a 1st rate QB, the Canes could win out. But Rozier is not going be able to get that job done.

2. If we had been playing Elliott at QB all year, we'd be much better off, even with all the injuries.

3. With the way Elliott played, I wouldn't be surprised if Byrd is no worse than the second best QB on the team.

4. If Fedora plays Brandon Harris a single down at QB, he should be fired on the spot.

5. What I already knew: Fedora is a dumb%## when it comes to QBs. But IO can hope he finally learned something of value.

6. Our D is ready to take the next step, and do so with gusto.

7. If the deep pockets boosters could come up with the dough to bring in Kevin Wilson as OC, then Fedora's worst instincts on offense would be tempered, and play calling would improve, and perhaps that along with this improving D would get us over the hump.

Reactions: Archer2 and MWHeels
made a point not to post today during because i felt a need to change the mojo a bit.

kids played hard which is a credit fedora and staff.

i have no idea how much evaluation is going into the qb’s, but it’s not enough...there’s some issues there, clearly.

1. If Miami had a 1st rate QB, the Canes could win out. But Rozier is not going be able to get that job done.

2. If we had been playing Elliott at QB all year, we'd be much better off, even with all the injuries.

3. With the way Elliott played, I wouldn't be surprised if Byrd is no worse than the second best QB on the team.

4. If Fedora plays Brandon Harris a single down at QB, he should be fired on the spot.

5. What I already knew: Fedora is a dumb%## when it comes to QBs. But IO can hope he finally learned something of value.

6. Our D is ready to take the next step, and do so with gusto.

7. If the deep pockets boosters could come up with the dough to bring in Kevin Wilson as OC, then Fedora's worst instincts on offense would be tempered, and play calling would improve, and perhaps that along with this improving D would get us over the hump.

Elliott is not a D1 QB. He lacks the arm strength to push the ball down field. If Miami was better (they are overrated) he would have had at least 5 picks.

He has heart and grit, but that’s about it. He could manage a good team but that’s his ceiling.

Miami is still a dirty team, going back to Jimmie Johnson and his plastered hair.

Have to ask, how so. I think we had two personal fouls today? One, a roughing that was a truly questionable call and the other a late hit on the sideline that even the ESPN boys admitted wasn't as bad as they first thought when they looked at it a second time. I thought overall the game was pretty clean on both sides. Our O line and QB played as poor as they have all year but we managed to hold on a win. I do not expect to continue undefeated much longer.

If we had been playing Elliott at QB all year, we'd be much better off, even with all the injuries.
If we'd been playing Elliot all yr miami would've had some game tape on him and realized he couldn't throw downfield at all.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Elliott is not a D1 QB. He lacks the arm strength to push the ball down field. If Miami was better (they are overrated) he would have had at least 5 picks.

He has heart and grit, but that’s about it. He could manage a good team but that’s his ceiling.
So in your opinion, do we have a guy on our team that is a D1 QB? I thought Surratt might turn out to be really good. Does he have the arm strength? His passes seem to float and stay in the air an awful long time. How about Byrd?

I think our OL woes(serious injury issues and some guys just not developing as hoped) are the main issue with our offense.

Best game of the year from the Heels. Could have easily given up after last week's embarrassment, but came out fighting. Great to see the players not give up.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Was anyone watching a coupe of weeks ago when Harris was trying to throw the ball downfield? A couple of INTs and nearly a couple more - throwing into double coverage 3 times. Not being able to throw the deep ball doesn't single you out in the QB race this year.

So in your opinion, do we have a guy on our team that is a D1 QB? I thought Surratt might turn out to be really good. Does he have the arm strength? His passes seem to float and stay in the air an awful long time. How about Byrd?

I think our OL woes(serious injury issues and some guys just not developing as hoped) are the main issue with our offense.
I think Surratt is that guy for now. Maybe Ruder supplants him. He's a RS freshman in a complicated system. Being a QB in Larry's spread is similiar to being a PG under Roy. It's takes a longtime for them to grasp all the ins and outs. To make matters worse, all the guys he repped with in the summer got hurt. Finally, he's been banged up. Go back and look at his numbers before he got hurt, they were significantly better. There's a reason Elliott was 3rd on the depth chart.

A healthy Surratt will look vastly different imo next year

It takes time for a QB to learn progressions, usually only comes with experience. Surratt surely isn't there yet but hopefully will be. Elliott is further along with reading defenses, picking the right target and getting the ball out on time - and seems less likely to panic and run. Both guys bring something to the table but I agree Surratt seems to have the higher ceiling - as long as the mental side of the game improves (much different than high school). Not many freshman QBs starting and there is a reason. We weren't prepared for Mitch leaving so now we're in a bind with no one ready to step in. Hoped Harris would be that guy but it just didn't work out.

Hopefully the O line will be much better next year but if not we see that we need at least 3 QBs ready to play - so we shouldn't be shelving either of them at this point. The one thing we know for sure - Harris will not help us next year.

Welp, make Pitt practice for both... Though they probably aren't all effectively different.

What position does surratt play in baseball? I was a baseball/football guy and there's no way the guy pitches with that lack of arm strength. Unless he's a junk baller.

What position does surratt play in baseball? I was a baseball/football guy and there's no way the guy pitches with that lack of arm strength. Unless he's a junk baller.
And he's a b-ball player, bet he doesn't shoot from deep ;-)

Oh okay. That makes more sense. Don't know how I mixed that up

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT