ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs. Dookies game thread

Didn't you just say we were going to lose a few days ago?
Yes. But, the defense played far better than ever expected.

The game was very winnable.

I think we saw Fedora's high tide 2 years ago. The worse this season gets, the more next season will really have to improve.

Fedora hasn't beaten an FBS team since Ga Tech last November 5th.

Yes. But, the defense played far better than ever expected.

The game was very winnable.

I think we saw Fedora's high tide 2 years ago. The worse this season gets, the more next season will really have to improve.

Fedora hasn't beaten an FBS team since Ga Tech last November 5th.
That last sentence is sobering.

This is also sobering: over the last 19 games, we are a losing team: 9-10. 2 of those Wins are against 1AA/FCS teams and third is against a team that only recently moved up from 1AA/FCS.

Does that sound like a program in good shape? Does that sound like a program benefitting from the 12 games previous to the most recent 19?

C&P from another thread because it's pertinent to the discussion of the state of our program. This was before the d00k game.

Great post by UNCstudent17 on a rival site:

"LF overall record: 40-27 (59.7%)
v. Top 25: 4-11 (26%)
v. In-State Opponents: 6-7 (46%)
v. Dook (2-3); v. Moo U (3-2); v. EZU (1-2)
Avg. Attendance: 49,476 (79% to capacity)

WHAT PLAGUES THE PROGRAM:
1. DEFENSE!!!
2012--390 yards/game, 5.2 yards/play, 26 points/game
2013--403 yards/game, 5.3 yards/play, 24.5 points/game
2014--498 yards/game, 6.5 yards/play, 39 points/game (how we won 6 games w/ this defense, I do not know...)
2015--436 yards/game, 5.5 yards/play, 24.5 points/game
2016--408 yards/game, 5.4 yards/play, 25 points/game
2017 so far--587 yards/game, 7.5 yards/play, 41 points/game
Avg. excluding 2017 (avg. including '17)--427 (453) yards/game, 5.58 (5.9) yards/play, 27.8 (30) points/game"

Makes me sick to my stomach to read those defensive stats. Hard to be more than mediocre when you're giving up those kinds of numbers.

Here's an astounding stat. One of the announcers(Jones?), said we gave up 37 plays of 10+ yards against Louisville(what Fed calls catastrophic plays). Catastrophic indeed!

Time for a change.

SMH at the state of Carolina football. Been watching since 1973 Mediocrity at best... horrific most of the time and I frankly have no explanation as to why that has been the case

I like Fedora.... always have and feel like he can get us to the level we SHOULD be at...consistent top 15 in nation a la Wisconsin.

But the DEFENSE OMG what can you say about it!!!

His teams are undisciplined a LOT and his D is just nonexistent for most of his tenure.

I have no answers just am baffled like so many years before this one.

Reactions: Archer2
Yep, only outstanding offenses in 2015 and 2016 prevented us from being mediocre those years as well. And even then, we couldn't win the big games because we ran into teams that were good enough defensively to slow down our high powered offense and our defense was helpless against their offenses.

I'm sorry, but this total reliance on offense to win games isn't going to work at the elite level.

Yep, only outstanding offenses in 2015 and 2016 prevented us from being mediocre those years as well. And even then, we couldn't win the big games because we ran into teams that were good enough defensively to slow down our high powered offense and our defense was helpless against their offenses.

I'm sorry, but this total reliance on offense to win games isn't going to work at the elite level.
You have GOT to have a better-than-average defense to ever hope to win big games consistently. The better the defense, the better your chances.

Take away Marquis Williams and Mitch Trubisky and it'd be even worse. its a broken record but we have to decide where we expect our football program to be. Because yet again, we are stuck with a coach who won't ever consistently exceed 6-7 wins a season. And in down years, we will be reallllllly bad like this year. It's almost laughable on TV to see how empty the stadium is. They built that blue zone (bad idea I said from the start Bc we can't fill $20 seats to see a shitty product so let's build a multi million dollar addition to the stadium and expect people to pay a couple hundred a ticket to see a shitty team? No thanks) and it's a ghost town.

Take away Marquis Williams and Mitch Trubisky and it'd be even worse. its a broken record but we have to decide where we expect our football program to be. Because yet again, we are stuck with a coach who won't ever consistently exceed 6-7 wins a season. And in down years, we will be reallllllly bad like this year. It's almost laughable on TV to see how empty the stadium is. They built that blue zone (bad idea I said from the start Bc we can't fill $20 seats to see a shitty product so let's build a multi million dollar addition to the stadium and expect people to pay a couple hundred a ticket to see a shitty team? No thanks) and it's a ghost town.
The problem with the blue zone is you can go inside where there is ac/heat and food to watch the game. Why sit outside when the experience is better inside?

There's no problem with the blue zone per se. The problem is building the blue zone with a shitty product on the field when you already can't fill your stadium. Trust me, I've been in the blue zone and there's not enough folks sitting inside to fill the vacant seats you see......

Reactions: Archer2
There's no problem with the blue zone per se. The problem is building the blue zone with a shitty product on the field when you already can't fill your stadium. Trust me, I've been in the blue zone and there's not enough folks sitting inside to fill the vacant seats you see......
It was built as part of the Butch hire and the enthusiasm around the program at that time. You act like it was built during the bunting years. It was a reasonable idea at the time.

Tar Heel, we will just have to agree to disagree. Sentiment was high during some of the butch years but there were a ton of skeptics around the blue zone construction including myself. Even in butch years, stadium was 80-85% full at best. Money should have been spent on improving actual facilities for the student athletes to compete for top talent. Just my opinion.

Regardless we absolutely suck and trending downhill. Need to turn it around in a big way as a program.

Tar Heel, we will just have to agree to disagree. Sentiment was high during some of the butch years but there were a ton of skeptics around the blue zone construction including myself. Even in butch years, stadium was 80-85% full at best. Money should have been spent on improving actual facilities for the student athletes to compete for top talent. Just my opinion.

Regardless we absolutely suck and trending downhill. Need to turn it around in a big way as a program.

2018/19

Personally I'd rather have a bigger stadium at 60% full than a smaller stadium at 70% full. One day its going to look awesome when the house is really packed.

The injuries have pretty much completely incapacitated our team at this point. It was a rebuilding year and then we got hammered with season ending injuries.

Biggest key at this point is keeping the key guys like Surrat, Brown, Carter, ARW ect. healthy for next. Hopefully those guys who got hurt will get after it in rehab and come back strong.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Fedora is also concerned for all the reasons we mentioned above but he also knows the shiny finish has worn off what he sold us. His seat will be hot after this year.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Personally I'd rather have a bigger stadium at 60% full than a smaller stadium at 70% full. One day its going to look awesome when the house is really packed.
You need to prepare yourself for disappointment, because it's about to get smaller. They are more than likely going to replace all of the bleachers with chairs in the next year or two. It will reduce the number of seats by a few thousand.

His seat will be hot after this year.
Nah. Everyone around the program knew this was a rebuilding year and they are smart enough to know that a lot of injuries can hurt the team. He gets a free pass this year and next year. If he doesn't show improvement next year, then the seat will get hot.

You need to prepare yourself for disappointment, because it's about to get smaller. They are more than likely going to replace all of the bleachers with chairs in the next year or two. It will reduce the number of seats by a few thousand.

Nah. Everyone around the program knew this was a rebuilding year and they are smart enough to know that a lot of injuries can hurt the team. He gets a free pass this year and next year. If he doesn't show improvement next year, then the seat will get hot.

I'm fine with that. It won't make the stadium look any smaller, but it will look more fun. And the seats can always be removed from certain section to increase capacity if we start filling Kenan regularly.

On a podcast I was listening it says that a source very close to the program said our strength and conditioning coach was having our guys Max out during season.... That's a recipe for season e ding injuries I officially retract my statement about conditioning not being part of the problem with our guys injuries. While some are not prohel was a freak injury as was daltons what strength coach I their right mind has guys maxing during season. That's inviting a serious injury outbreak

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT