ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs. Hokies game thread

And how bad is the ACc. Let’s be honest, we are pure shit and almost beat VT who is undefeated in the league.

No they didn’t. They deserved to get blown out.
I don't understand the bias. They have the better coaches. They execute better. They're more disciplined.

UNC left 20 points OFF the board. Fedora plays fast when he should play slow. VT never gave up and UNC is lucky they didn't get bitch-slapped like they usually do by VT.

The upside is the defense played pretty well and we know the freshman QB is pretty decent.

Reactions: tarheels0015
Carolina, under Fedora, are always unable to play when it counts
Agree to disagree.

Except for the fedora comment. Totally agree.
In a way, it would have been more of a travesty if UNC had won. Look at the mistakes and the points they couldn't score and should have! 3 false starts in a row? The touchdowns that were left unscored from lack of ability to execute. Not to mention all the turnovers.

The defense played really well. And, even they broke when it really counted.

I don't understand the bias. They have the better coaches. They execute better. They're more disciplined.

UNC left 20 points OFF the board. Fedora plays fast when he should play slow. VT never gave up and UNC is lucky they didn't get bitch-slapped like they usually do by VT.

The upside is the defense played pretty well and we know the freshman QB is pretty decent.

Its not bias. The only reason VT had enough time left on the clock for that last drive was because our mentally handicapped head coach didn't bleed the clock. We were snapping the ball with 20-25 seconds on the play clock for the entire fourth quarter. Our guys deserved to get the win, but they got let down by the moron HC.

Our defense stepped up. Fedora took a giant shit on them by not running the clock down.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Hope Fortin is ok to go next week. He looked pretty good out there. Him and Ruder are the only two that should play for the rest of the year.
Ruder still hasn't taken a snap. I'd like to see him. He can play in 4 games and still keep the redshirt.

Its not bias. The only reason VT had enough time left on the clock for that last drive was because our mentally handicapped head coach didn't bleed the clock. We were snapping the ball with 20-25 seconds on the play clock for the entire fourth quarter. Our guys deserved to get the win, but they got let down by the moron HC.

Our defense stepped up. Fedora took a giant shit on them by not running the clock down.
I agree. But, you just described and explained why UNC deserved to lose! I guess we're identifying the team differently.

The kids played okay. The defense played better than I expected. The offense really didn't play that well, overall. Look at the mistakes and points they failed to score. Turnovers and everything.

And, Fedora was there to make sure they lost!

It went much better than I ever expected. It sucks to lose. But, I'm hardly surprised! At least it was close! That's Fedora's legacy "It was close."

I agree. But, you just described and explained why UNC deserved to lose! I guess we're identifying the team differently.

The kids played okay. The defense played better than I expected. The offense really didn't play that well, overall. Look at the mistakes and points they failed to score. Turnovers and everything.

And, Fedora was there to make sure they lost!

It went much better than I ever expected. It sucks to lose. But, I'm hardly surprised! At least it was close! That's Fedora's legacy "It was close."
That is now my slogan for making the change - Fedora's Legacy: It was close.

Reactions: strummingram
That is now my slogan for making the change - Fedora's Legacy: It was close.
Even a lot of our wins from 2015 and 2016 were "close" and could have easily been losses.

As I've heard it said many times: "Fedora is all sizzle and no steak." He has no business at an FBS school as a head coach.

we should have won .. despite turnovers and a miss on wide open wr and other wr juggling the ball and dropped it … we had the lead and are in hurry mode .. I despise the hurry up offense and schemes they don't work

I feel bad for Carter. Kid had a great game and was about to put it out of reach, that damn fumble
Yeah, he was impressive.

Fumbles on the first and last play from scrimmage for UNC. That's not a deserving win. If they'd won, it would have been luck, not being the better team. If they'd scored the points they should have, it would have been a blowout and an earned win.

I support Larry...I know a lot of people have lost all support for him, but look at what we have had the last year and a half at the QB position. Elliott seems like a great kid, but he just doesn't have what it takes. Chaz is a great athlete but his decision making is horrific. I think Cade Fortin has ALOT of potential..He throws a very nice ball and we have the players around him to be very successful on offense the next few years. We just need the defense to be consistent and play at the level they did tonight. I know that part probably won't happen under Fed but he still has my support going forward. It's been frustrating to watch the last year unfold but I truly believe this program will be back on the map. I don't think he should be fired...not this year anyway.

Reactions: shun1
I support Larry...I know a lot of people have lost all support for him, but look at what we have had the last year and a half at the QB position. Elliott seems like a great kid, but he just doesn't have what it takes. Chaz is a great athlete but his decision making is horrific. I think Cade Fortin has ALOT of potential..He throws a very nice ball and we have the players around him to be very successful on offense the next few years. We just need the defense to be consistent and play at the level they did tonight. I know that part probably won't happen under Fed but he still has my support going forward. It's been frustrating to watch the last year unfold but I truly believe this program will be back on the map. I don't think he should be fired...not this year anyway.

Found Larry’s rivals account.

Jk. The problem is that he recruited Elliott and Chazz. He’s the one that refused to play fortin sooner. He’s the one that still hasn’t played Ruder. The QB woes are entirely Larry’s fault. It’s time for him to go. I’m sure he’d run a decent high school program. But he’s not smart enough to coach big boy football

Found Larry’s rivals account.

Jk. The problem is that he recruited Elliott and Chazz. He’s the one that refused to play fortin sooner. He’s the one that still hasn’t played Ruder. The QB woes are entirely Larry’s fault. It’s time for him to go. I’m sure he’d run a decent high school program. But he’s not smart enough to coach big boy football
I personally think he's too nice in a way...seems like he didn't want to hurt Elliott's feelings. He always raves about how good of a team player he is. I agree with you saying it's his fault for not playing him sooner, but that was probably because Nathan played decent down the stretch last season.

Reactions: shun1
None of that explains away the poor play calling and lack of discipline. The recruiting seems to be going downhill as well. The QB play isn't the only issue.

I personally think he's too nice in a way...seems like he didn't want to hurt Elliott's feelings. He always raves about how good of a team player he is. I agree with you saying it's his fault for not playing him sooner, but that was probably because Nathan played decent down the stretch last season.

I actually think you’re right about him being too nice. But I would put it differently. He doesn’t have the stones to make hard decision about what’s best for the team. I think that’s why Brandon Harris got so much playing time. He felt bad about the kid transferring to UNC then not getting playing time. But that’s exactly what needed to happen.

And as other posters have pointed out, our play calling has been laughably atrocious. Clock management is terrible. Disciple is nonexistent, and recruiting is abysmal. There’s not one area of coaching where he doesn’t get a grade of F.

Last edited:
None of that explains away the poor play calling and lack of discipline. The recruiting seems to be going downhill as well. The QB play isn't the only issue.
UNC has always had a lack of discipline on the football field at times...and the plays are there to be made...

I actually think you’re right about him being too nice. But I would put it differently. He doesn’t have the stones to make hard decision about what’s best for the team. I think that’s why Brandon Harris got so much playing time. He felt bad about the kid transferring to UNC then not getting playing time. But that’s exactly what needed to happen.

And as otherness posters have pointed out, our play calling has been laughably atrocious. Clock management is terrible. Disciple is nonexistent, and recruiting is abysmal. There’s not one area of coaching where he doesn’t get a grade of F.
As long as he's here I'll support him. Recruiting could be better but it's not like we don't have the talent....it comes down to execution.

Hi Tarheel8592, Thank you for showing your support...SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

I was super PO’d last night after we blew that game.... probably got a little carried away.

In hindsight, while I don’t have a ton of faith in Fedora turning this thing around, it’s not his fault that we dropped some sure TD’s, missed FG’s, or had a TD called back for holding. We were in position to win had our guys made the plays they are expected to make.

Before that last drive, the Heels had over 500 yards and vt had under 300. Our defense played well; the offense didn’t take advantage of the plethora of opportunities and it came back to bite us (like it usually does).

Do any of you guys think UNC can play with NC State this year? State plays very well in Kenan. Honest question here. I believe State is a solid team but will lose next weekend to Clemson 34-24.

Do any of you guys think UNC can play with NC State this year? State plays very well in Kenan. Honest question here. I believe State is a solid team but will lose next weekend to Clemson 34-24.
Doubtful, but they might. Maybe they will get pumped up for the rivalry / senior day game. But methinks they will be 2-8 and won't give a [BLEEP].

I was super PO’d last night after we blew that game.... probably got a little carried away.

In hindsight, while I don’t have a ton of faith in Fedora turning this thing around, it’s not his fault that we dropped some sure TD’s, missed FG’s, or had a TD called back for holding. We were in position to win had our guys made the plays they are expected to make.

Before that last drive, the Heels had over 500 yards and vt had under 300. Our defense played well; the offense didn’t take advantage of the plethora of opportunities and it came back to bite us (like it usually does).
The staff did ok last night. The only big issue I had was putting in Elliott randomly in the first half. That seemed to cause two drives to stall.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
The staff did ok last night. The only big issue I had was putting in Elliott randomly in the first half. That seemed to cause two drives to stall.
Yeah, that was odd. If he was a bona-fide dual threat qb, then I could understand it. But he's not. To his credit, he played reasonably well last night; he's just limited.

I sure hope Fortin is OK. He showed some promise.

Leaving points on the field in the first half lost the game for UNC. Should have been 24-7 at halftime. UNC left 15 points on the field in the first half and that's conservative in estimation. Could have been 35-7, but to be fair, lets say 24. If UNC just gets one half of the points that was left on the field in the first half and have 24 points, UNC easily wins, and that's not even considering or discussing anything in the second half. Leaving points on the field against a well coached team and settling for field goals in the first half of games often gives "chance a chance." Meaning, if you settle for field goals, it may be close in score in the fourth quarter when it shouldn't be, and if its close in the fourth quarter even for a team that's been dominate, there is the possibility of giving "chance a chance." The fumble at the 1 and the 98 yard drive was the second part of the chance equation. This happened a little bit to VT against Notre Dame a week ago. Notre Dame blew it open in the fourth and got a big win, but VT settled for field goals in the first half after being inside the Notre Dame 10 on 4 occasions. They should have had ND up 24-10 at half time, and then the fourth quarter explosion by ND would have still likely have had VT in the game in the 4th quarter with a chance to get lucky and pull it out. Leaving points on the field in the form of settling for field goals in the first half of games against well coached teams can sometimes bite, and it gives the opponent a chance for a miracle, luck, or 50-50 bounces in the fourth quarter in a game game which shouldn't be close.............if the game is put away early likely it should have been, then a little luck and incredible breaks does not hurt in the fourth quarter because the game is out of reach.

This loss had nothing to do with Fedora. UNC dominated in all facets of the game other than special teams. Turnovers were equal at 2-2. The difference in this game was settling for field goals inside the redzone in the first quarter. The play design on the dropped wide open TD passes and the overthrow in what would have been a wide open TD are directly on the players. Any FBS/Div 1 kid should catch those and the QB should have easily made the throw. The position those players were placed in before the ball was snapped was dang near perfect by Fedora and staff. The staff can't catch the ball for them when they are absolutely wide open and a VT defender isn't within 15 yards of the receiver.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT