ADVERTISEMENT

The 4 man rush is not helping the defense at all

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
It seems like EVERYBODY has decided that the secondary is the big problem with the defense after the first two weeks of the young season but I have a different take and I wonder if anybody else has noticed it as well. Chase Brice a 6 year player with stops also at Clemson and Duke passed for 6 touchdowns against Carolina and after the game he probably did not have to wash his jersey because he was barely hit during the 4 hour battle.

The Tar Heels defensive front was suppose to be one of the teams biggest strength but thru two games they have really under performed and their lack of pressure on the opponents QB’s have put their teammates at linebacker, cornerbacks and safety’s out to dry.

Yes I realize App State starts 4 expierenced juniors and one freshman up front but Rucker, Vohasek, Murphy and Evans are all upper classmen and they should be able to show more than they. Maybe freshman Shaw and sophomore Ritzie should actually get some reps…

Bottom line more pressure needs to be put on the passers. Watching the reruns of both games it is obviously clear there are very few if any Blitz packages being utilized which just not make any sense at all.

Send Gray, Echols or Dillworth from the linebacker spots every now and then to cause havoc and even more unleash Grimes, Duck, Kelly, Boykins or Conley on corner or safety red dog blitzes as well.

Dropping 7 into a zone on every play has been so futile as both the last two QB’s have had like Joe Montana type games slicing and dicing up the the Carolina linebackers and defensive backfield as they have had all day to find a open receiver.

I am sure after looking at the game film the defensive coaches will all agree they have to come up with a NEW GAME PLAN to put pressure on the opponents quarterbacks and if that means dialing up blitzes constantly then do it…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News