ADVERTISEMENT

The 5 Greatest shots in Carolina history

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
It is summer and a bit slow, so I was thinking of lists and this one came to mind. Here goes my top 5...

5) Walter Davis 35 footer to tie dook and send the game into OT JUMPED out of my chair when I saw it go down off the backboard. this was the 8 points in 17 sec comeback . I Can still hear Woody 's call.... UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4) Marcus Paige and his acrobatic 3 pointer to tie the Villanova game in the Natty. I Will not add anything else as to what happened next

3) Luke Maye s dagger jumper to beat Ky That video from the kitty kat SPORTS Bar is must see viewing

2) Caleb Love's 3 to beat dook a mere few months ago. Still on a high from that one and he did it with a 7 footer in his face

1)MJ s shot to beat Gtown and the hoya's for DES first title in 1983. That really started the Jordan legend, the rest is history

Comments or your choices please.

This is actually a really good list. I'd shuffle 2-4 maybe a bit but hard to argue.

Marvin's put back against Illinois would be the only one I'd think about adding but hard to knock any of these others off.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Tom79
It is summer and a bit slow, so I was thinking of lists and this one came to mind. Here goes my top 5...

5) Walter Davis 35 footer to tie dook and send the game into OT JUMPED out of my chair when I saw it go down off the backboard. this was the 8 points in 17 sec comeback . I Can still hear Woody 's call.... UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4) Marcus Paige and his acrobatic 3 pointer to tie the Villanova game in the Natty. I Will not add anything else as to what happened next

3) Luke Maye s dagger jumper to beat Ky That video from the kitty kat SPORTS Bar is must see viewing

2) Caleb Love's 3 to beat dook a mere few months ago. Still on a high from that one and he did it with a 7 footer in his face

1)MJ s shot to beat Gtown and the hoya's for DES first title in 1983. That really started the Jordan legend, the rest is history

This is a great question. To me you have the 5 shots that I would put on my list. It’s perfect to me!

This is actually a really good list. I'd shuffle 2-4 maybe a bit but hard to argue.

Marvin's put back against Illinois would be the only one I'd think about adding but hard to knock any of these others off.

I was thinking Marvin’s put back (and 1) against dook in the Dome after we were down 9 w/2 min to go. Or Ray’s 3 against the Illini after it was tied at 70. Isaiah’s shot against Gonzaga that put us up 68-65 was also a big one. Those should be honorable mention at least but I like the 5 that are listed.

I agree with all those shots that were mentioned. I might substitute Dante Calabria's 1996 game winner
against dook in the Dean Dome with the Marcus shot (since it didn't get us a victory).

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Psycho T’s “jump” shot from the balcony. He misses this and UNC is done!
9-BEFD665-B60-A-496-A-A9-DB-C86-D43-C9-E7-A8.jpg

Last edited:

Perfect list, actually. Marcus' shot was by far the most difficult, but unfortunately we lost that game. Had we won, it would be #2, because all things considered (namely Dean's first), I just can't see Jordan's shot ever being surpassed.

Don’t sleep on this one. UNC was having a down year and went up against the #1 Team in the Country. Nice interview with Dean after the game.

Reactions: shun1 and Occy64

great list. i would place george lynch’s steal at mid court and dunk that capped a Heel comeback against fsu! brought the house down and, in my view built momentum to a natty in 93.

Reactions: DaSheed
great list. i would place george lynch’s steal at mid court and dunk that capped a Heel comeback against fsu! brought the house down and, in my view built momentum to a natty in 93.
Great Post! That steal and dunk by Lynch was the turning point in the season. Sam Cassell’s famous, “Wine and Cheese Crowd” quote came back to bite him. Go to approx the 7:50 mark for Lynch’s epic steal and slam

Reactions: gkss

Didn’t see it mentioned but Dudley Bradley’s steal against MooU for the win after Heels had given up a big lead might get honorable mention. That was when Moo was still somewhat of a rival. So many to pick from. Love this thread

I'd like to know more about that 1983 National Championship.

Not saying top 5 necessarily, but I loved when MJ picked Rick Carlisle's pocket at half court to steal the win with his 1 hand flush with authority

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT