ADVERTISEMENT

The discussions/threads here have diminished a lot

As more of a car guy than sports guy at this point, forums in general have all but gone away, replaced by the far inferior FB groups.

Reactions: uncboy10
As more of a car guy than sports guy at this point, forums in general have all but gone away, replaced by the far inferior FB groups.
Now there’s an idea…. Could we have a “radar” TikTok account so Gary could deliver his “quick stuff” while doing a dance?

Only problem… I think TikTok has a time limit so Dsouth would never be able to post!

Agreed. We are fine with 20-12 seasons because "Family" is on the bench and handpicked successors.

We get what we deserve because we had rather "Family" and the "Carolina Way" be the blueprint as opposed to adjusting to the here and now and how things should be done to succeed.

Do what is necessary to WIN now not just because it is what has always been done. HUBS had no business assuming this role. I said it last year and will say it this year. 2021 was a flash in the pan, lighting in a bottle, etc....not a plan for continued success. This program deserves better. If 20-12 seasons, not advancing past the 2nd round and continued coaching blunders are the new norm, then shame on Bubba and anyone else that allows it.

Reactions: NCAAUCoach
@Andrew, I don’t think anyone is disputing you work hard. I think it’s really listening to and understanding your target market.
TBH I believe, and I think stats will back it up, there is a growing disinterest in sports in general. It seems ever since sports took on "social issues" the interest has waned. I know for sure it has for me.

Roy's last season was a hard watch for me, and then the first half of Hub's first season was going in the same direction of the previous year, that is when I started basically only reading post here and there, but but slowing down posting.

The following year I posted all summer because of the possibility of us being really good that upcoming year. When I saw how we looked the first few games, I don't think I posted must since.

Why have discussions diminished because it was embarrassing watching us last year!!

However I must say today's game actually brought me to the board to talk about how impressed I am with this team. I am ready to talk about the players again to, because I believe we have a really good squad. The loss always hurts but I like what I saw!

@Andrew, I don’t think anyone is disputing you work hard. I think it’s really listening to and understanding your target market. I don’t think the switch to posting links to premium content is the sole reason of a decline in participation in the free board, but I know it has impacted what I click. I had no idea 80% of your links were free. That’s awesome. It is frustrating opening a topic and it being premium. “Maybe” just identifying what is premium in the title would lead to more people clicking what is free…and seeing the quality to the point they want to sign up for premium. It’s really just adding a word in the title or a Star. Nothing that is time consuming.

I understand your frustration as you put so much time into this. You definitely don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do as well. Running a business, I can understand how much work goes on behind the scenes to give an end product. I appreciate that and I know many do.

I help businesses as my career and I can see you are frustrated and maybe even feel not appreciated. The fact that you’ve said a few times you don’t understand why anyone (insert feeling/thought) shows an opportunity to listen to and connect with you target audience, which could lead to a better experience for you and them.

You likely I do this because you love it and are proud of your work. You also do it as a career, so making money isn’t bad either.
" It is frustrating opening a topic and it being premium. "

Oh, the humanity. I haven't bothered to time it or anything but I would wager it takes about three seconds or less to click in and out of somewhere you don't want to be on this board.

Is that really even a frustration worth expressing?

For my part, I just hope AJ doesn't get fed up with the petty whining and cut back on the good stuff he provides.

Reactions: uncboy10
" It is frustrating opening a topic and it being premium. "

Oh, the humanity. I haven't bothered to time it or anything but I would wager it takes about three seconds or less to click in and out of somewhere you don't want to be on this board.

Is that really even a frustration worth expressing?

For my part, I just hope AJ doesn't get fed up with the petty whining and cut back on the good stuff he provides.
You have a right to your opinion. I was always told you can’t tell someone how they feel is wrong. The frustration comment was a response to another. I didn’t lead with expressing that, but there seems to be a common theme with someone expressing any question or pushback that falls outside of group think.

I don’t recognize your name, but I’ve been here over 20 years so maybe my frame of reference is different than you have. Yes, the amount of items deemed premium has reduced what I click. Now I don’t click much of anything posted by AJ although he does provide good content. My suggestion was to actually help drive more people to reading what he posts.

There used to be a lot of threads and that was my main point, not about AJ. Understand intent of written word alone can be misinterpreted. Anonymous message boards also lead to a reduced level of civility. I do miss the volume of threads and discussions but maybe that’s just me.

I think seveal of you are missing NCAAU's point. Why is posting down on Radar? I think it is less interest in our program as we are not winning as much as we are used to but also, the number of threads that end up as a pissing contest between two or a small number of posters. I love Gary's quick stuff, but just take a look at the post on the Villanova game. What starts as a good discussion with differing opinions disintegrated into a pissing contest. And then the long post show up and I no longer want to read all of that or the name or the name calling. Just my two cents worth...

This being Black Friday with the realities of many businesses making or breaking in the next few days, I find it a bit delusional as to what I am reading above. Where does one get such a sense of entitlement that they should get full access for free or not be bothered with momentarily hitting the back arrow? It's FREE. Does that not carry any inconvenience whatsoever???? Your alternative is this:

And to me, that would seem much less desirable than a little inconvenience. Sign up for premium and get access to everything or don't sign up and get much of what's available with some extra "back" clicks. Two phrases come to mind: Nothing ventured, nothing gained and Beggars can't be choosers.

Regarding the original point of lack of posting and the eventual breakdown once a thread plays out, sadly, I can state that this is not a phenomenon unique to the free boards. Premium board threads have this as well. I think it's due to the factors already noted above. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Reactions: Archer2 and bluetoe
it's me, isn't it.
nailed it practice GIF

There’s no fun on this board any more. All the clever funny yet humble poasters such as myself have left. There’s some sort of illusion being promoted that a free board should be only for serious discussion by serious people who know serious shyt. Lol. IDGAF about anyones “serious” take. No one here knows jack shyt. We’re fans. Anyone wants to pretend to be an expert then take your holier than thou bull shyt to the premium board or develop some thick skin to take some criticism from us peasants without becoming a whiney bytch. There’s a dress code for premium. Collared shirts and wine drinking discussing the nuances of covering jump switches. I was a member for 15 years and it bored the fuk outta me. But it was there if I needed the dry informative takes so that’s why I had it. Radar is for flip flops, shorts, tequila shots and bitching about the officiating with lots of sarcasm and comments about your mom. Then if you wanted to start a thread on what the starting line up should be go ahead. Or that’s the way it should be. It used to be. And it was fun. I’m not blaming Andrew or Mike (rip) I’m blaming a handful of poasters who obviously complained/reported to them 24/7 and made their lives miserable. And I say let opposing fans come in here and talk shyt. There used to be a couple regulars that did that and I enjoyed the banter. Not all of us have our self worth inextricably tied to the success of a sports team.

Last edited:
What is anybody clicking on while in the forum Tar Heel Radar, that they can't see? If it is on Radar, you can see it.
If you are not paying for premium, why then would you be in Four Corners? I pay for premium, so I guess I don't know what you don't see in Four Corners if you go there without being a paid subscriber.
This is untrue. A lot of things are paywalled once you try to open the article.

Reactions: tarwhiz
This is untrue. A lot of things are paywalled once you try to open the article.
I know now, someone else corrected me earlier in the thread. Being a premium subscriber, I couldn't see the difference when I clicked on the Radar site.

Reactions: NCAAUCoach
heelmanwilm made a great point that is worth noting again. there was a run a few years back where a small faction of absolutely clowns on this board (a few still here) that bitched and complained non stop and blew up Mod inboxes any time they didn’t feel like somebody was negative or wasn’t a true fan, and the threads took that same turn almost 100% of the time. if you disagreed with them, you weren’t a true fan. lots got tired of it and simply moved on. i post probably a tenth of what i used to post for that very reason. same thing with opposing fans, we ran them off over nonsense all the time. now the board is mostly boring and predictable, which has nothing to do with AJ and the work his team do.

I'd say it's more that people are like "these players are the worst" if they have a bad game or even if they have a good game but a bad spot in the game they think costs them. Or people act like every one in coming is the next coming of Christ and going to lead us to a ship and if you don't agree you aren't a true fan.

Or whine that the refs or coaches or etc cost us games because we didn't win every last game in the world.

Being a fan is being a fan, but it's like everyone has to one up being the biggest diehard fab that the hyperbole is out of control. It's hard to maintain regular conversation.

You have a right to your opinion. I was always told you can’t tell someone how they feel is wrong. The frustration comment was a response to another. I didn’t lead with expressing that, but there seems to be a common theme with someone expressing any question or pushback that falls outside of group think.

I don’t recognize your name, but I’ve been here over 20 years so maybe my frame of reference is different than you have. Yes, the amount of items deemed premium has reduced what I click. Now I don’t click much of anything posted by AJ although he does provide good content. My suggestion was to actually help drive more people to reading what he posts.

There used to be a lot of threads and that was my main point, not about AJ. Understand intent of written word alone can be misinterpreted. Anonymous message boards also lead to a reduced level of civility. I do miss the volume of threads and discussions but maybe that’s just me.
I know where you're coming from, I read your entire previous post. I just think it's silly to avoid seeking out content because of such a miniscule amount of baseless frustration, just as I think it's surprising and silly to see frustration admitted to over what to me is such a nothingburger, I also find it astounding that in your twenty year presence, this has kept you from being aware of what is available.

I'm seeing your explanation, but I'm having a hard time not hearing a whine over a slight inconvenience. If I'm wrong, please kindly overlook my error in judgement.

I know where you're coming from, I read your entire previous post. I just think it's silly to avoid seeking out content because of such a miniscule amount of baseless frustration, just as I think it's surprising and silly to see frustration admitted to over what to me is such a nothingburger, I also find it astounding that in your twenty year presence, this has kept you from being aware of what is available.

I'm seeing your explanation, but I'm having a hard time not hearing a whine over a slight inconvenience. If I'm wrong, please kindly overlook my error in judgement.
I do feel you’re wrong, but you’re right to your opinion like I said before. My biggest “frustration” is the lack of dialogue on the site anymore. People have weighed in on their thoughts. Maybe it’s a mixture. I don’t engage as much anymore and maybe everyone has done similar…and it’s as simple as that.

Andrew works hard and no one has said he doesn’t.

Reactions: Archer2 and bluetoe
I do feel you’re wrong, but you’re right to your opinion like I said before. My biggest “frustration” is the lack of dialogue on the site anymore. People have weighed in on their thoughts. Maybe it’s a mixture. I don’t engage as much anymore and maybe everyone has done similar…and it’s as simple as that.

Andrew works hard and no one has said he doesn’t.
fair enough

There’s no fun on this board any more. All the clever funny yet humble poasters such as myself have left. There’s some sort of illusion being promoted that a free board should be only for serious discussion by serious people who know serious shyt. Lol. IDGAF about anyones “serious” take. No one here knows jack shyt. We’re fans. Anyone wants to pretend to be an expert then take your holier than thou bull shyt to the premium board or develop some thick skin to take some criticism from us peasants without becoming a whiney bytch. There’s a dress code for premium. Collared shirts and wine drinking discussing the nuances of covering jump switches. I was a member for 15 years and it bored the fuk outta me. But it was there if I needed the dry informative takes so that’s why I had it. Radar is for flip flops, shorts, tequila shots and bitching about the officiating with lots of sarcasm and comments about your mom. Then if you wanted to start a thread on what the starting line up should be go ahead. Or that’s the way it should be. It used to be. And it was fun. I’m not blaming Andrew or Mike (rip) I’m blaming a handful of poasters who obviously complained/reported to them 24/7 and made their lives miserable. And I say let opposing fans come in here and talk shyt. There used to be a couple regulars that did that and I enjoyed the banter. Not all of us have our self worth inextricably tied to the success of a sports team.
heelmanwilm made a great point that is worth noting again. there was a run a few years back where a small faction of absolutely clowns on this board (a few still here) that bitched and complained non stop and blew up Mod inboxes any time they didn’t feel like somebody was negative or wasn’t a true fan, and the threads took that same turn almost 100% of the time. if you disagreed with them, you weren’t a true fan. lots got tired of it and simply moved on. i post probably a tenth of what i used to post for that very reason. same thing with opposing fans, we ran them off over nonsense all the time. now the board is mostly boring and predictable, which has nothing to do with AJ and the work his team do.
I'd say it's more that people are like "these players are the worst" if they have a bad game or even if they have a good game but a bad spot in the game they think costs them. Or people act like every one in coming is the next coming of Christ and going to lead us to a ship and if you don't agree you aren't a true fan.

Or whine that the refs or coaches or etc cost us games because we didn't win every last game in the world.

Being a fan is being a fan, but it's like everyone has to one up being the biggest diehard fab that the hyperbole is out of control. It's hard to maintain regular conversation.

These 3 post right here says it all, they have ruined the board to keep a few cry babies happy.

If people want answers start with these poast and you can get your answer.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
These 3 post right here says it all, they have ruined the board to keep a few cry babies happy.

If people want answers start with these poast and you can get your answer.
I'm not sure I understand. Who is 'they' and what did 'they' do that kept the crybabies happy, and which thereby ruined the board?

That's a serious question. I'm not disputing you, I really would like to know what you mean. To me, somebody posts something you find objectionable, and you either ignore it or respond to it and life goes on.

I'm not sure I understand. Who is 'they' and what did 'they' do that kept the crybabies happy, and which thereby ruined the board?

That's a serious question. I'm not disputing you, I really would like to know what you mean. To me, somebody posts something you find objectionable, and you either ignore it or respond to it and life goes on.

The 3 quotes I tagged tells the story. Their degrading behavior everytime someone they consider "below them" post takes the fun out of it. This is suppose to be fun, you are on OOTB we have fun the banter is enjoyable. Those clowns act like you are in a team meeting and people that don't see it their way shpuld be removed.

It a message board, but in message board world there are 2 things that gripe me more than anything, if someone starts talking about a game that isn't the next game and someone says, "we need to worry about who's next, and if someone calls someone no lt a real fan because they don't agree with them.

Rant over, but I do hope you see my point.

The 3 quotes I tagged tells the story. Their degrading behavior everytime someone they consider "below them" post takes the fun out of it. This is suppose to be fun, you are on OOTB we have fun the banter is enjoyable. Those clowns act like you are in a team meeting and people that don't see it their way shpuld be removed.

It a message board, but in message board world there are 2 things that gripe me more than anything, if someone starts talking about a game that isn't the next game and someone says, "we need to worry about who's next, and if someone calls someone no lt a real fan because they don't agree with them.

I see what you're saying here, but the other post made it sound like there was some reaction TO the 'crybabies' to 'keep them happy' that was ruining the board, and that's what I was trying to find out.

I don't let personalities bother me on a message board, and I have a hard time understanding why anyone else should either. It's so easy to ignore them or respond appropriately. If they try to dominate every conversation, that's a problem. If they're just being obnoxious, no big deal to me.

Reactions: Archer2
I see what you're saying here, but the other post made it sound like there was some reaction TO the 'crybabies' to 'keep them happy' that was ruining the board, and that's what I was trying to find out.

I don't let personalities bother me on a message board, and I have a hard time understanding why anyone else should either. It's so easy to ignore them or respond appropriately. If they try to dominate every conversation, that's a problem. If they're just being obnoxious, no big deal to me.
Your mom didn’t ignore me
suck my dick GIF

This board used to be very active. I come here and see the activity is down substantially. Why do you think this is?

Is it that a lot of threads require premium level to access? I understand this is a business and they want more to pay for content, but is this actually deterring participation?

It’s the beginning of a season where we have some good transfers and new faces. I would expect a lot more activity.
Good question. For me, like other names from this board I recognize have IC Premium. What I have noticed is that once a topic is discussed on IC, like clockwork, someone from this board will literally re-word that same topic. There have been plenty of times I want even open that thread because I already know what it's about. This board doesn't have its own identity.

Now there’s an idea…. Could we have a “radar” TikTok account so Gary could deliver his “quick stuff” while doing a dance?

Only problem… I think TikTok has a time limit so Dsouth would never be able to post!
Well that just will not happen then! LOL

Sure glad you are "humble" LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: heelmanwilm
i've been here a long time ... took over the Prediction Contest and ran that for several years (was that poster who ran the contest before me called Phidippides?) ... used to share a lot of 'inside' info bc i had a family member in the bball department. she is no longer there, so that changed. honestly i'm just not as interested in UNC bball (or college sports at all) in this new NIL / portal era. and i'm not a huge fan of Hubert Bunting. all of these things have impacted my time spent at THR.

I try really hard to not come off as if I am talking down to anyone, I try really hard to be respectful to everyone, I do get very frustrated when I am met in a dis-respectful way. Maybe at times what I reply to in a harsher manner was not intended to be as dis-respectful as I took it. I am very opiniated and I disagree with a lot of the opinions I see. When I do I try to not just share my opinion but to explain why I see it the way I do. That takes me a lot of words, more often than many want to read, I realize that but I want you to know where I am coming from and why I do that. Know this about me, I NEVER say a single thing here in word or tone that I am not 100% willing and most times prefer to say face to face. I will say, when I am involved with a serious conversation I do not have time for jokes.

I am not ever trying to be that guy that says something and demands everyone take it as fact simply because I said it, that drives me crazy when I see that. I am going to make my case for my opinion and I am going to make it as strong as I feel it, again as most folks do in a face to face discussion.

Know this no-shelby, it is not my intent to talk down to you, it is my intent to talk to you. Maybe I am one of those that you consider a problem, maybe I am not, IDK because I don't recall exchanging with you much. I have spent the majority of my life as a UNC fan, it is something I take serious, most fans take discussion of "their team" very serious. UNC is playing NC State today in football, there are a LOT of VERY serious people today. This is THE place for that serious discussion if it is not held face to face. There are other parts of this site that is great for the jokes and I get it, several have gone there and enjoy each others jokes, cool fine. And jokes here are fine as well at times and at others they actually can be a issue, a joke isn't something I want to hear when I am heated up ya know?

I try really hard to not come off as if I am talking down to anyone, I try really hard to be respectful to everyone, I do get very frustrated when I am met in a dis-respectful way. Maybe at times what I reply to in a harsher manner was not intended to be as dis-respectful as I took it. I am very opiniated and I disagree with a lot of the opinions I see. When I do I try to not just share my opinion but to explain why I see it the way I do. That takes me a lot of words, more often than many want to read, I realize that but I want you to know where I am coming from and why I do that. Know this about me, I NEVER say a single thing here in word or tone that I am not 100% willing and most times prefer to say face to face. I will say, when I am involved with a serious conversation I do not have time for jokes.

I am not ever trying to be that guy that says something and demands everyone take it as fact simply because I said it, that drives me crazy when I see that. I am going to make my case for my opinion and I am going to make it as strong as I feel it, again as most folks do in a face to face discussion.

Know this no-shelby, it is not my intent to talk down to you, it is my intent to talk to you. Maybe I am one of those that you consider a problem, maybe I am not, IDK because I don't recall exchanging with you much. I have spent the majority of my life as a UNC fan, it is something I take serious, most fans take discussion of "their team" very serious. UNC is playing NC State today in football, there are a LOT of VERY serious people today. This is THE place for that serious discussion if it is not held face to face. There are other parts of this site that is great for the jokes and I get it, several have gone there and enjoy each others jokes, cool fine. And jokes here are fine as well at times and at others they actually can be a issue, a joke isn't something I want to hear when I am heated up ya know?
Humility is key. You're probably not familiar, but I too get ridiculed for my length. No, not that length, I mean the length of my posts. I get more than my share of tl;dr's. But that's OK, it's actually a source of pride for me that I'm able to exhaust the reading ability of the board illiterati in just a few paragraphs.

If this come across as condescending to anyone, I recommend not being so easily condescended to. That's my humble opinion.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pooponduke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT