ADVERTISEMENT

The last dance

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
Love seeing the national reaction on social media. It’s like people are re discovering mj and unc and esp Roy. But I guess a significant portion never saw him or just did his final years. It sure brought back memories seeing the campus shots. I saw him play in woolen gym a couple times his freshman year. Never got to get on the court with him but I did with Sam Perkins who volley ball spiked my lame ass 10 ft jumper

And I will point out that mj, worthy, LT, Dean, Roy and myself were all at unc the same time for one year.

Last edited:
the entire series has been awesome...hearing great things about tonight.

also, the episode with “when i met mike” is supposed to be really good, revealing about some cats out there.

dude would hold a grudge. Lol. But he would use it as motivation to elevate his game.

Don't F with the GOAT

do you guys even remember lebradford smith?...that was an insane part of last night.

“good game, mike”

And he made that shit up to get himself motivated. Damn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
This documentary is really showing what it takes to win. Imagine being the greatest, and living in prison at the same time. I hope they get into his time playing after the 2nd 3peat.
I think the dude could have went 6 or 7 straight if he didn't burn out and loss his pop's.

This documentary is really showing what it takes to win. Imagine being the greatest, and living in prison at the same time. I hope they get into his time playing after the 2nd 3peat.
I think the dude could have went 6 or 7 straight if he didn't burn out and loss his pop's.

This is an interesting convo.

I don't think you can win that many straight. You're playing 100 games a season at an extremely high level. He was absolutely gassed at the end of 93 and I can't imagine him doing that straight through to 96 or 97.

If you watch those games, him and Pippen are guarding people full freaking court. They expended so much more energy than players today it's insane.

I think taking the year plus off helped him be able to play 304 of a possible 304 games in 96-98 3 peat. That stat alone may be his most underrated stat.

I don't think you can win that many straight. You're playing 100 games a season at an extremely high level. He was absolutely gassed at the end of 93 and I can't imagine him doing that straight through to 96 or 97.

If you watch those games, him and Pippen are guarding people full freaking court. They expended so much more energy than players today it's insane.

I think taking the year plus off helped him be able to play 304 of a possible 304 games in 96-98 3 peat. That stat alone may be his most underrated stat.
I guess the question would be is a mental or physical strain. As much as he played, and at such a high level, it is amazing he wasn't injured more than he was. To pull off winning more than 4 in a row may require winning earlier than he did. Being goal oriented, the 3peat was what he was after. If his goal was 4 straight, he would have accomplished it, no matter the cost.

To me, what made him the GOAT, was the fact that he won 3, took 18 months off, and won 3 again. Also taking into consideration playing baseball. Its obvious he wasn't just willing to ride pine playing on the diamond either. The most focused athlete.

I think he wanted to be back. Otherwise he would have disappeared into the sunset. The real question is, would he have continued playing had Jerry not blown the franchise up by giving Phil his walking orders

Reactions: TarHeelMark
don’t forget how good houston was during his break...imo, houston was better than seattle, orlando, and utah.

don’t forget how good houston was during his break...imo, houston was better than seattle, orlando, and utah.
8 straight years of a Tar Heel winning NBA titles when you include the Jet with the Rockets.

Going back to the Lakers teams in mid 80s with Big Game James, there were 11 NBA championships in 14 years with UNC guys that overlapped each other in Chapel Hill between 82-84 : Worthy / Jordan / Smith.

Last edited:
If there’s anything I’ve learned from this documentary it’s that Michael Jordan is a much more complicated man than I originally believed him to be.

Him getting emotional about the way he played the game and how he treated his teammates was an extremely powerful moment.

If there’s anything I’ve learned from this documentary it’s that Michael Jordan is a much more complicated man than I originally believed him to be.

Him getting emotional about the way he played the game and how he treated his teammates was an extremely powerful moment.

His work ethic is what was surprising to me I knew he worked hard and I knew he was so much more gifted a player than most. But he was a machine and the lengths he went to to motivate himself was crazy.

Tyler Hansbrough and Joel Berry had his work ethic but wasn't as naturally gifted as Mike.

Can you imagine if some of the naturals that played at Carolina would have had that?

The most stand out statement I took from him was "I never ask a player on my team to do anything I wasn't willing to do"? Thats whats you call a great leader and teammate.

Great poast. Your basketball related takes are money. Always very good stuff. I agree wholeheartedly with all of it. Are you old enough to have followed it? I forgot how old you are. Mid 30s?

Reactions: dadika13
this documentary could be 20 episodes and I'd watch every second of it.. excellent
I have loved it all as much as the next person. Very well done. What do people think about Ken Burns comments, refusing to call it a documentary, since it is created by people close to MJ (basically his production company I guess).

It's a bit hard to tell how much MJ is airbrushing. The video and conversations, and all the competitive achievements are outstanding. Its just hard to tell whether his father's death had anything to do with gambling debts, or whether he first retired in part because of this....and you probably won't hear any hints of any marital infidelity in this show. I don't know enough to factually assert anything on any of these points. I just think they would have been approached more diligently if someone outside of the MJ camp had made the documentary.

I still walk away having even more respect for his greatness, work ethic, competitiveness, than I did before. It's just pretty polished to see MJ in a quite favorable light in almost every situation. Which is fine. Its his deal and he can make it how he wants it - and it has been wildly entertaining and successful for millions of viewers.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I don't want to start a new thread for this because it is MJ related, but I imagine someone on here would know/remember. Was Jordan the first person to crash the boards and dunk from the midcourt position on a missed free throw? Hope I'm describing this correctly.

Great poast. Your basketball related takes are money. Always very good stuff. I agree wholeheartedly with all of it. Are you old enough to have followed it? I forgot how old you are. Mid 30s?

Appreciate that.

I was born in 83 so the first three peat I definitely remember but more as a little kid obsessed with the dunking...have all these photos of me in the 3peat shirts.

The baseball years and 96-98 are very strong memories. I used to wear UNC shorts under my game shorts in 97-98 when I found out that's what MJ did.

You're like 10 years older? You were in that prime range to be old enough to appreciate it and young enough to be in awe of it for the whole run. Jealous of that.

just found a new pair of jordan 4’s player editions...same shoe mack had on when he tweeted about the show...i’ll let you know when i get them.

Reactions: tarheel0910
hibbet sports here...this guy said he can get them, probably from poshmark...told him to send me pics before i pay.
Is it a guy you can trust? Those things are pretty expensive on the secondary market. Last time I looked on stockx they were in the$400-$500 range.

Reactions: gteeitup
anyone else catch the shoe he was wearing during warmups in utah?...iirc, the morning he said he “drank a couple beers.”

which ones are those?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT