ADVERTISEMENT

The most underated pg to play at UNC was...

Phelps was not under-rated, at least not by any UNC folks.

I, personally, don't think that Steve Previs ever received his just due . . . so, I'll offer up his name as a candidate. Jimmy Black is another player that never really got the credit he deserverd.

Phelps was not under-rated, at least not by any UNC folks.

I, personally, don't think that Steve Previs ever received his just due . . . so, I'll offer up his name as a candidate. Jimmy Black is another player that never really got the credit he deserverd.

Have to agree. Jimmy Black was the first name that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

Felton. Almost as good as Lawson... Better than Marshall, Cota, etc. Yet, everyone considers him below them for some reason.

Good pick, also thought about King Rice.

King Rice came to Chapel Hill overrated and left underrated. His teammates loved him, he was a great defender and always got under Bobby Hurley's skin. King had some really nice things to say after Coach Smith passed:

"He just had so much patience with me. They kept working with me, I was hard-headed, I wouldn't listen, I kept doing dumb things and they just kept working with me because they knew they made a commitment to my family, my father that if I went there, they would make sure I was a better man when I got done."

"They should've sent me home probably 20 times and they never did because of Dean Smith. I'm just thankful, I'm blessed, I'm humbled and I'm the luckiest kid to become a man to play for him."

Reactions: Baby Debo
John Kuester...with Phil Ford injured and UNC playing against a favored Kentucky team Kuester ran the 4 corners, played a great floor game and UNC won.

John Kuester...with Phil Ford injured and UNC playing against a favored Kentucky team Kuester ran the 4 corners, played a great floor game and UNC won.

Nice call on Kuester . . !

King Rice was bad, meaning awful. Slow, could not shoot.

Bull-Shoot! Not awful by any means. To this day, King still has the 3rd best Assist/Turnover ratio in UNC history. Also a great defender. King was one of the most efficient PG's UNC has ever had. Look at the stats. Dean Smith himself said, "People who don't appreciate King Rice, don't understand basketball."

You think you know more than Coach Smith?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT