ADVERTISEMENT

The Movie "Air"

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
I may be late to the party here, but my wife was in a car accident today (I'm getting to it). My daughter and I waited in the lobby of the ER for more than four hours. So what did my bride want to do tonight, as much discomfort as she's in? Watch a movie. I let her choose, and she opted for "Air."

She thought it would be interesting, and since we hadn't yet seen it, we did so tonight.

My thoughts (and I want yours as well):

Very good movie. I like how they didn't show Michael, which was smart. Nobody can play him, not certainly now. In 40 years maybe, but not now.

They depicted his mother accurately. Vacarro was a bit of a controversial figure, but he was always ahead of his time. And the Air Jordan shoe and name licensing deal was really the first sports NIL deal. So no wonder Vacarro was involved in the O'Bannon case 30 years later.

Good pub for UNC, too. How could it not be.

So, I am curious what you guys liked and maybe didn't like about the movie.

I give it a 7 out of 10. Fairly entertaining and cool to see how it all started. I like most of the main actors in it - Bateman, Damon, Affleck, Tucker. But it dragged a bit for me. David Falk was my favorite part of the movie.

Hope your wife is ok.

I give it a 7 out of 10. Fairly entertaining and cool to see how it all started. I like most of the main actors in it - Bateman, Damon, Affleck, Tucker. But it dragged a bit for me. David Falk was my favorite part of the movie.

Hope your wife is ok.

Agree it dragged, especially the period in which Knight wasn't on board. If they missed anything was how did he process it making sense when on that long walk. That's an important miss in my book.

She will be fine, thank you. Banged up, hurting, but she will be fine.

It was definitely worth watching but not one of those movies i'll watch again. i was also glad they didnt focus on MJ. FWIW, his original deal was worth $500k, not $250k - not sure why they revised that part. the shoe royalties for life still has to be one of the top individual business deals of all time. incredible vision (and courage) on the part of Mrs Jordan.

The backstory of all the people and businesses was interesting to see on screen, and they did a good job as a "period piece".

4 hours is a long time to be waiting for the all-clear.

Another good one to watch is the documentary Unbanned: The Legend of AJ1. The most interesting thing I learned from that is that the first shoe Jordan wore in a game wasn't the AJ1. Nike wasn't able to get a pair made for the game, so they took some Nikes that looked similar and modified them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT