ADVERTISEMENT

The Rat-face publicly calls out NCAA

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
For NCAA hoops, the best time to go public about big issues is right before the Final Four. Everybody is paying attention at that point.

It is very easy to bash the NCAA for its endless failures, which have accumulated over the past 30 years or so. And Mark Emmert is as easy a target as anybody with NCAA power has been except for the perpetually, self-righteously loathsome Myles Brand. So what grabbed my attention in reading about the Rat-face speaking to the press in regard to the NCAA today is this: "He suggested a football model -- major college football is controlled by an entity, the College Football Playoff, that falls outside the NCAA's purview -- might be in order for men's and women's basketball, and maybe some other sports, too."

Perhaps the major reason that Major College Football seems to have about 10 times (as opposed to say only 2 or 3 times) the power of basketball is that the NCAA does NOT control the 1A/FBS/Major CFB post-season.

Yes, I think it is as simple as that if the subject is a sport's ability to maximize its value while regulating problems that could harm that value and therefore harm all those who participate in the sport, including the most passionate fans.

Ever since conference realignment (which at each step has been 100% about football) kicked into high gear, there has been endless discussion about whether Kansas has much chance to remain a member of a Major/Power conference. Kansas basketball is so Blue-Blood that its football equivalent would be a program like Michigan or Penn St. It should be a given that KU not merely makes any cut down to 4 super conferences, but that KU is prized.

KU is not worth much in conference realignment because: KU has almost no football history and almost no football fans; KU has no football rival that matters even a little bit to anybody living outside KS; KU's main rival, Kansas St, is highly unlikely to make any cut of Major Conferences down to 4; KS produces very little football talent; the people of KS have never shown any interest in watching KU football on TV.

All of the above would matter less to Kansas remaining in a Major/Power conference if Major College basketball were worth more money, and that is most easily able to come to fruition if the Major/Power conferences control their own post-season - just like football.

Dook is not in any kind of perilous position like KU, and the reason is UNC. The UNC-Dook basketball rivalry is the only basketball rivalry worth close to what many of the most important football rivalries are worth. And that means that even the SEC would take Dook in order to land UNC. But Rat-face wants the ACC to survive. The farther behind the SEC and BT the ACC falls in revenue, the more likely it is that a school with a concrete offer will decide to leave and fight the GOR in court.

The Major conferences taking full control over their own post-season will maximize its value, and that will help the ACC.

Myron Medcalf nails it in this ESPN roundtable:

Opinion on this Final Four field has been polarized between those who think this is an amazing group of teams and those who would counter that four blue bloods equate to either nausea or boredom. Which camp are you in, and does the other side have a point?​

Medcalf: I don't mean to dismiss the boredom crowd, but fans can't be trusted in this argument. The myth about the NCAA tournament is that everybody wants to see David beat Goliath for three weeks. But I don't believe that's true. They want to see upsets on the first weekend. In New Orleans, these are the teams that the rest of the country is chasing. And, until this point, we've had some thrilling matchups. Saint Peter's sailed, New Mexico State surged and Miami made an Elite Eight run. As much as folks say they want to see those teams reach the Final Four every year, the numbers don't back that assertion. Ticket sales for Saturday's Duke-North Carolina game have hit record prices, not just because of the rivalry, but because most people want to see the blue bloods battle."

Football people understand this very well. Most of the TV audience would rebel if the 4 team playoff was underdogs NCSU, Miss St, Purdue, and AZ St - even if all 4 entered with 12-1 records and had knocked off in conference championships, respectively, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio St, and SoCal. And that underdog playoff group does not contain any Group of 5 member or any small private school such as Vandy or Wake.

A non-NCAA basketball tournament run by the Major/Power conferences (who would decide which leagues get an auto bid and which are consigned to the next level below) would be more profitable for the Major conferences and for Blue Blood programs.

I know . . . we should let the conference that wins the NCAAT redraw the conferences for the next season.

That works really well in politics. I'm sure it will be just as awesome in sports.

so I have a question.. because I haven't been tracking things for quite a while in college hoops... did Kansas ever get belted for the scandal it was involved in not so long ago?

For NCAA hoops, the best time to go public about big issues is right before the Final Four. Everybody is paying attention at that point.

It is very easy to bash the NCAA for its endless failures, which have accumulated over the past 30 years or so. And Mark Emmert is as easy a target as anybody with NCAA power has been except for the perpetually, self-righteously loathsome Myles Brand. So what grabbed my attention in reading about the Rat-face speaking to the press in regard to the NCAA today is this: "He suggested a football model -- major college football is controlled by an entity, the College Football Playoff, that falls outside the NCAA's purview -- might be in order for men's and women's basketball, and maybe some other sports, too."

Perhaps the major reason that Major College Football seems to have about 10 times (as opposed to say only 2 or 3 times) the power of basketball is that the NCAA does NOT control the 1A/FBS/Major CFB post-season.

Yes, I think it is as simple as that if the subject is a sport's ability to maximize its value while regulating problems that could harm that value and therefore harm all those who participate in the sport, including the most passionate fans.

Ever since conference realignment (which at each step has been 100% about football) kicked into high gear, there has been endless discussion about whether Kansas has much chance to remain a member of a Major/Power conference. Kansas basketball is so Blue-Blood that its football equivalent would be a program like Michigan or Penn St. It should be a given that KU not merely makes any cut down to 4 super conferences, but that KU is prized.

KU is not worth much in conference realignment because: KU has almost no football history and almost no football fans; KU has no football rival that matters even a little bit to anybody living outside KS; KU's main rival, Kansas St, is highly unlikely to make any cut of Major Conferences down to 4; KS produces very little football talent; the people of KS have never shown any interest in watching KU football on TV.

All of the above would matter less to Kansas remaining in a Major/Power conference if Major College basketball were worth more money, and that is most easily able to come to fruition if the Major/Power conferences control their own post-season - just like football.

Dook is not in any kind of perilous position like KU, and the reason is UNC. The UNC-Dook basketball rivalry is the only basketball rivalry worth close to what many of the most important football rivalries are worth. And that means that even the SEC would take Dook in order to land UNC. But Rat-face wants the ACC to survive. The farther behind the SEC and BT the ACC falls in revenue, the more likely it is that a school with a concrete offer will decide to leave and fight the GOR in court.

The Major conferences taking full control over their own post-season will maximize its value, and that will help the ACC.
Money does drive the conference realignment, but I don't think Kansas is in as dire a situation as you paint. The worry is if the Kansas legislature says KU can't go anywhere unless KSU goes with them (that was the argument in the first realignment talk). KU basketball brings enough cache, it is one of the most valuable basketball programs in the country, it covers the moderately sized Kansas City market, so it would be a valuable addition to any conference. Plus, while KU football has been atrocious, according to the latest I found (WSJ 2018) the football program is valued as a top 40 program (actually higher than UNC's). The programs have gone in different directions since then, but not drastically so, so it's likely still a top 50 money maker even though it's the worst program in the Power 5.

If the Big 12 blows up, KU will be okay, the school I feel the worst for is Oklahoma State. Top shelf wrestling, great basketball tradition, solid football tradition, fantastic rival, good baseball...yet they are likely to be left in a lurch. The SEC likely won't want them, and they are out of the geography of the ACC, Big 10, and even the Pac-12.

so I have a question.. because I haven't been tracking things for quite a while in college hoops... did Kansas ever get belted for the scandal it was involved in not so long ago?
It is still being reviewed. I've heard two sides on it. On the one, these are major infractions and KU will get hammered because tapes show Self knew what was going on. On the other, there is no 'smoking gun' and the biggest "there" is Adidas paid for a player to get out of an agreement with Maryland, and there are texts talking about how Adidas missed on securing for KU Zion, all but saying Duke was able to pay him more.

If Notre Dame counts as Atlantic Coast, why not Oklahoma State?
Oklahoma State is hundreds of miles West of South Bend - so it's not like they are right next to each other - it doesn't bring the Chicago market, doesn't have the mythos of NOTRE DAME, and I suspect the ACC did it with the expectation the football program would have to eventually join.

I know this is a basketball board, but since football has come up - I am wondering about Notre Dame and our chances of bringing ND football into the ACC. My understanding is that ND football is contractually required to play five ACC teams each season. But when their 2022 schedule was announced there were only four ACC teams on it. Is this the beginning or a "slippage" or withdrawal, or just what is going on?

Last edited:
Oklahoma State is hundreds of miles West of South Bend - so it's not like they are right next to each other
Yeah, but that's like saying a fish is less of a mammal than a bird is. Neither is a mammal. Just like neither ND nor OK St is remotely Atlantic Coastal.

Yeah, but that's like saying a fish is less of a mammal than a bird is. Neither is a mammal. Just like neither ND nor OK St is remotely Atlantic Coastal.
Yup, ND doesn't fit as an Atlantic Coast team, but just because ND isn't on the coast doesn't mean all teams are equal. As stated, ND not only had institutional benefits, but they are closer to ACC teams than OSU is - it's a lot more feasible to fly into Chicago and drive to SB than it is to fly to OKC and drive to Stillwater.

That said, the division names are silly anyway as they no longer mean anything for any conference.

Move to a 96-team tournament and let the Power Group pick the top 32 ( who get a first round bye).
I suggested years ago what I think would be best solution. Use the NIT to set the final 8 teams to play in the round of 64 field of the NCAAT. That gives 96 teams a chance to win it all and it give value to the NIT again, no one really cares about the NIT any more, I can't even tell you won it this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT