ADVERTISEMENT

"The Shot"... list gets yet another added to it!

The list of "The Shot" by UNC players is long... But, that shot by Nance is up there with some of the all-time greatest shots in UNC history! That has to be the closest to the end of regulation in school history. He BARELY got it off. Amazing execution by both players on that one!

It was a great shot, and the replay shows that he got it out of his hands with one tenth of a second left. The only other shots I can remember that were near that close were Walter Davis's shot against dook at home in 74 or Antawn Jamison's shot against Maryland while sitting on his rear end at Cole Fieldhouse in 97 I believe. Then, you have Hansbrough's shot in the ACCT, Ty Lawson @ FSU, Ellington @ Clemson, and Charlie Scott against Davidson in an NCAAT regional final in Charlotte with ole Lefty coaching Davidson.

Yep, it deserves to be among the greatest last second shots ever.

Last edited:
Great shot but it can’t rank up there with our program’s greatest because it was a meaningless, OOC, December game. Now, if we get our shit together and go on a 10 game win streak, then we might be able to put a little more importance on it. But all of the shots listed above are better (and no mention of Rick Fox makes me sad), because they were either a conference game or a post season game.

But happy for Pete. Glad he got his Tar Heel moment. Hopefully he has another few coming.

Great shot but it can’t rank up there with our program’s greatest because it was a meaningless, OOC, December game. Now, if we get our shit together and go on a 10 game win streak, then we might be able to put a little more importance on it. But all of the shots listed above are better (and no mention of Rick Fox makes me sad), because they were either a conference game or a post season game.

But happy for Pete. Glad he got his Tar Heel moment. Hopefully he has another few coming.
Meaningless.....? I wholeheartedly disagree with you on your opinion. This game was important for several reasons.

1. builds confidence in the players that they can overcome a bad offensive game to a really good team by playing some persistent stout defense and pull out a win. If you opinion that OSU was not a good team, then you are again wrong in your opinionate as OSU has several players who are going to play at the next level. It seems like many do not want to acknowledge that there is some really good talent on other teams, and they want to win as much as we do, especially on national TV
You don't think that's important?

2. I do believe it was the Syracuse game last year where Caleb made some shots in a comeback at the Dean Dome that jumpstarted our defensive play and offensive play that sent us onto our final 4 journey. The point here? It builds momentum going forward.
You don't think that that is important?

3. This is our first Q1 win to date this season and will have a bearing on where we get seeded in the tournament. You don't think that's important?

4. Not only was this game and this win important for the above reasons for the team, it also was important for the Coaching Staff to see a critical play called, executed, and led us on to win in O/T. You don't see the importance of this?

No sir, I disagree with your opinion that this game was meaningless.

Meaningless.....? I wholeheartedly disagree with you on your opinion. This game was important for several reasons.

1. builds confidence in the players that they can overcome a bad offensive game to a really good team by playing some persistent stout defense and pull out a win. If you opinion that OSU was not a good team, then you are again wrong in your opinionate as OSU has several players who are going to play at the next level. It seems like many do not want to acknowledge that there is some really good talent on other teams, and they want to win as much as we do, especially on national TV

2. I do believe it was the Syracuse game last year where Caleb made some shots in a comeback at the Dean Dome that jumpstarted our defensive play and offensive play that sent us onto our final 4 journey. The point here? It builds momentum going forward.

3. This is our first Q1 win to date this season and will have a bearing on where we get seeded in the tournament. You don't think that's important?

4. Not only was this game and this win important for the above reasons for the team, it also was important for the Coaching Staff to see a critical play called, executed, and led us on to win in O/T. You don't see the importance of this?

That’s fine. I should have qualified it with “comparatively speaking”. Because it simply can’t mean as much as a postseason shot in similar fashion. And I just feel that an in conference game means more. I agree with a lot of which you wrote. That’s why I said it could end up meaning more. But on the surface and at first glance, I won’t put it in my top 50 shots in Carolina lore.

But again, I’m happy for Pete and that shot will go a long way in Pete and his family being lifelong Tar Heels, which of course is cool.

That’s fine. I should have qualified it with “comparatively speaking”. Because it simply can’t mean as much as a postseason shot in similar fashion. And I just feel that an in conference game means more. I agree with a lot of which you wrote. That’s why I said it could end up meaning more. But on the surface and at first glance, I won’t put it in my top 50 shots in Carolina lore.

But again, I’m happy for Pete and that shot will go a long way in Pete and his family being lifelong Tar Heels, which of course is cool.
I understand your thought, but still, it's rather misplaced even in saying "comparatively speaking". Every game means something throughout the course of a season. You don't get to post season without improvement, and it takes every game on the schedule to accomplish this.

Why? Just like a newborn has to learn to crawl before they learn to walk. Each and every game offers the team the opportunity to advance from crawling to walking, and at some point, in the season, if they have advanced enough through their play and experiences from the start of the season by getting better each and every game, they can be off and running, like the team did last year. All the games we have played this season and any season to come, has meaning. It means that every game is important in building a championship team, always has and always will.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

Agree with all of this, however just curious- is CofC not a quad 1 win to date? They’re ranked like 27th in the country. Maybe there’s some other metric where they’d be outside of that, but I would have to guess they’re quad 1. They’re ranked higher than we are and we’re certainly quad one.

Agree with all of this, however just curious- is CofC not a quad 1 win to date? They’re ranked like 27th in the country. Maybe there’s some other metric where they’d be outside of that, but I would have to guess they’re quad 1. They’re ranked higher than we are and we’re certainly quad one.
You could be right, I just know that the pundits were saying it was the first, and heaven knows they can be wrong too. I hope they are, 2 are better than 1, eh?

I would’ve never guessed Nance would be the one they wanted taking that shot. I definitely didn’t think we were going to pull that out, but that shot was cold. Nance couldn’t buy a 3 all night but was able to hit that when it mattered most! Hope it boosted our guys confidence.

Pete’s shot was so very clutch; the team execution to get it done in under two seconds was perfect.
Pete was 0/6 from outside, but the staff trusted him in that moment.
If, IF, IF … we start hitting threes at a decent (33%?) level, we will be the top team in the league.
Stay tuned to find out. GO HEELS

Splash! Congrats to Pete for cementing himself in Tar Heel lore! Congrats to the team for giving all they had and then finding a little bit more! Congrats to the coaches for drawing up the perfect play for the perfect person to take advantage of the perfect matchup! Great win and hopefully it jumpstarts the run I have felt was coming all season!

Splash! Congrats to Pete for cementing himself in Tar Heel lore! Congrats to the team for giving all they had and then finding a little bit more! Congrats to the coaches for drawing up the perfect play for the perfect person to take advantage of the perfect matchup! Great win and hopefully it jumpstarts the run I have felt was coming all season!
He may have cemented himself in something else if he had missed.

As for the importance of the shot will depend on how the season evolves right now. If we go on a Killin spree, then it is the shot heard round the world. If we slide back in old habits, then it's viewed as what could have been.
I for one hope we about to rock the world

I'd say it was an important Shot. might've saved this season, and Hubert's career with it.

You could be right, I just know that the pundits were saying it was the first, and heaven knows they can be wrong too. I hope they are, 2 are better than 1, eh?

Checked out the NET rankings, and you are correct. Ohio State (#26) is our only quad 1 win. College of Charleston (#48) at home and James Madison (#51) at home would fall in the 31-75 home win range that denote quad 2.

Michigan (somehow #85) would fall in the 51-100 range for a neutral quad 2.

Reactions: Tarheel75
Depends on where you play them.

Quad 1 at home is a top 30 opponent. Top 50 neutral. Top 75 away.

Checked out the NET rankings, and you are correct. Ohio State (#26) is our only quad 1 win. College of Charleston (#48) at home and James Madison (#51) at home would fall in the 31-75 home win range that denote quad 2.

Michigan (somehow #85) would fall in the 51-100 range for a neutral quad 2.
Michigan hasn't really beaten anyone of note and it's why their metrics are so low while ours are way higher.

BPI which had us losing to Alabama and such in the tournament has us 75% to 25% to beat Michigan. It goes to show you how badly the polls differentiate from the metrics a lot.

It's also funny how so many say how bad our offense is yet the metrics say our offense is top 15 good while it's our defense that has sucked.

MSG the mecca of basketball, directly in the foot print that Hubert wants to re-establish in NY, on CBS! Man, the stage for the regular season does not get bigger other than a UNC vs duke game. To win this game that we trailed for what about 90% of, 2 seconds left, down by 2 and staring directly at our 5th loss already? To tie that game just to get to OT it took 2 PERFECTLY executed back to back plays and the shot hit by the guy that had struggled all game outside shooting, for the ball to leave his hands a fraction of a second before the final buzzer went off, 1/10th of a second. Man, that was a HUGE shot, simply HUGE.

Make no mistake, this was a very important game for us, it is the kind of game that win or lose can change your entire season, good teams have to win games like this, great teams do win games like this. Are we a great team, no, not yet but in that game we did what great teams do, win hard fought tough games and that shot is what gave us the chance.

The shot was so big IMO that it deserves its own name, if I said 17sec you know the shot, if I said THE SHOT you can see Mike hitting that jumper to win the natty, if I said Luke's shot you know it was the take down of Ky, handful of others for sure but this is without doubt to me a top 10.

How about Pete's Buckeye Buster, could shorten it to PBB or just the Buckeye Buster? Other options? Or Pete's BB ! I kinda like Pete's BB !

MSG the mecca of basketball, directly in the foot print that Hubert wants to re-establish in NY, on CBS! Man, the stage for the regular season does not get bigger other than a UNC vs duke game. To win this game that we trailed for what about 90% of, 2 seconds left, down by 2 and staring directly at our 5th loss already? To tie that game just to get to OT it took 2 PERFECTLY executed back to back plays and the shot hit by the guy that had struggled all game outside shooting, for the ball to leave his hands a fraction of a second before the final buzzer went off, 1/10th of a second. Man, that was a HUGE shot, simply HUGE.

Make no mistake, this was a very important game for us, it is the kind of game that win or lose can change your entire season, good teams have to win games like this, great teams do win games like this. Are we a great team, no, not yet but in that game we did what great teams do, win hard fought tough games and that shot is what gave us the chance.

The shot was so big IMO that it deserves its own name, if I said 17sec you know the shot, if I said THE SHOT you can see Mike hitting that jumper to win the natty, if I said Luke's shot you know it was the take down of Ky, handful of others for sure but this is without doubt to me a top 10.

How about Pete's Buckeye Buster, could shorten it to PBB or just the Buckeye Buster? Other options? Or Pete's BB ! I kinda like Pete's BB !

I would describe this poast as "hyperbolic". I acknowledged that it could end up being pivotal for our season. But if we go on to be slightly above average and flame out in the Sweet 16, sadly, that shot will have amounted to a hill of beans. I mean, no one cares about Ohio St. That opponent means nothing to us as Tar Heel fans. If that shot was a regular season clinching win against duke, that shot is up there with some of the greatest of our history. If it was in the post season like Fox's against OU, that shot would have staying power.

I view it the same way I view McCants' shot against UConn in 04. You might have forgotten about Rashad's game winning 3 against the #1 team in the country with 6 seconds left because it was early in the year and it was a nonconference game where the outcome didn't have that much effect on our season.

To overstate its importance is a disservice to Hansbrough, Fox, Lawson, Scott, Jordan, Luke, Marcus (X 2), Love and the many others that hit much more meaningful shots. I'm sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm glad he made it and I really like Pete. And again, that shot can earn more stripes as the season plays out depending on how the season plays out. But I'm just not gonna buy the hype that this shot deserves mention with legendary shots from our program's history.

I would describe this poast as "hyperbolic". I acknowledged that it could end up being pivotal for our season. But if we go on to be slightly above average and flame out in the Sweet 16, sadly, that shot will have amounted to a hill of beans. I mean, no one cares about Ohio St. That opponent means nothing to us as Tar Heel fans. If that shot was a regular season clinching win against duke, that shot is up there with some of the greatest of our history. If it was in the post season like Fox's against OU, that shot would have staying power.

I view it the same way I view McCants' shot against UConn in 04. You might have forgotten about Rashad's game winning 3 against the #1 team in the country with 6 seconds left because it was early in the year and it was a nonconference game where the outcome didn't have that much effect on our season.

To overstate its importance is a disservice to Hansbrough, Fox, Lawson, Scott, Jordan, Luke, Marcus (X 2), Love and the many others that hit much more meaningful shots. I'm sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm glad he made it and I really like Pete. And again, that shot can earn more stripes as the season plays out depending on how the season plays out. But I'm just not gonna buy the hype that this shot deserves mention with legendary shots from our program's history.
As "hyperbolic" as my post may be, I stated my opinion, I believe I do still have the right to hold my own opinion. You are free to hold any opinion you wish and I do not feel the need to LABEL YOUR OPINION as something like "hyperbolic" ...

As "hyperbolic" as my post may be, I stated my opinion, I believe I do still have the right to hold my own opinion. You are free to hold any opinion you wish and I do not feel the need to LABEL YOUR OPINION as something like "hyperbolic" ...

Relax. I wasn’t insinuating you couldn’t have the opinion you have. I’m simply saying I disagree with it and characterize it as hyperbolic. You should see some of my opinions. I have some doozies that you’d probably characterize as worse than hyperbolic.

Anyway, great shot by Pete. Hope he gets a few more big moments to show off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT