ADVERTISEMENT

THI Basketball Central: Virginia

Sponsored by: @Andy MyPerfectFranchise.Net**

Are you a displaced corporate executive or wanting to put your career in your own hands? Or an experienced entrepreneur wanting to diversify? Well, Andy Luedecke can help!

Andy is a long time Rivals member, diehard college football fan, and franchise veteran - having owned multiple franchises and businesses. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Andy, put your life and career in your own hands. 100% free, so what do you have to lose?!

Find Your Perfect Franchise at MyPerfectFranchise.Net. Contact Andy Luedecke anytime at aluedecke@myperfectfranchise.net or (404) 973-9901.

1673278064240.png

Our record there has not been that good over the years, pretty sure the coaches and the players are aware of this. Need to focus, and bring a kick @@@ mentality.

Almost every year I think Virginia can't possibly be as good as they were the previous year. And almost every year I'm wrong. Last year being the only exception I can think of.

I've watched a few minutes each of several of their games this season and, once again, I don't get it. They look like we should steamroller them. But if past is prologue, we probably won't.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
What worries me is their defense, harassing type of play, physical, clog passing land, hand checking, and drawing offensive fouls. Their offense is more free lance this year, than in past years, with more scoring options. They are no longer playing that control offense that drove everyone crazy, not only those who watch their games, but the teams which had to play against it.

Their consistency and discipline on D are what separate them from the pack to me. A lot of teams play good to great D in stretches (including the Heels), but few can play it for the entire game. If we are strong with the ball, value it, and are patient on O-we should be able to handle them. If they rattle us or we revert to panic/hero ball, they will beat our tails! I believe we can match up well with them and handle their O, but we will have to have the will to play until the end of the shot clock!

A couple of the oldest teams in America. Both teams start 2 fifth-year seniors, 1 regular senior, and 2 juniors.

Virginia has a slight edge on this measure because none of their starters is a recent transfer. Plus, their first 2 guys off the bench are likely to be seniors.

Last edited:
Virginia’s point guard K Clark despite his size is a tremendous ball handler and facilitator and would look good in Carolina blue…His play will dictate the final outcome of the ball 🏀 game…

With 3 40%+ 3-point shooters to defend, who else wants to see Trimble start?

We beat Virginia last year. But that was on our court and that was an atypically bad UVa team.

I can't remember the details, but from the stats it looks like we shut down Clark and Shedrick.

We didn't have Trimble then, but we did have Ant Harris.

Shedrick only played 17 minutes and had no fouls, so I'm wondering if maybe he was injured? Or maybe the game MVP Bacot just embarrassed him all the way to the bench.

Point being, it's a different court and the players that let them down last year are having better seasons, and getting more scoring help.

So . . . Who guards these guys...?

PlayerHgt / WtTS%3pt%Assts
Clark5'10 / 16757.440.96.3
Beekman6'3 / 19059.350.05.0
Frankin6'4 / 20055.241.41.2

2 away games I HATE are at GT and at UVa, they just seem to have our number and that goes way back. We are going to have to play solid to win this one and we will have to play smart. Bennet coaches a really nasty defense, one you do not see often and may be the best pac man defense in the game. You have to be really strong with the ball against them, you have to make quick GOOD decisions. UVa moves to defend off the pass not off the catch, so ball fakes are really important. They slack off your weaker jump shooters and bait them to take jump shots, they will make you prove you can jump shoot, they are in position to rebound your miss. Bennetts teams ALL Play really well together but especially on defense, they trust the system and they trust each other to execute defense as they are taught, they do not take a lot of risks so they do not have to go to scramble often. Ball goes in to Bacot, watch, they will swarm him, you have to burn them from the guys they leave and they rotate thru the natural passing lanes really well.

So your decisions have to be made quickly and they have to be solid decisions without falling for the bait they entice you with. So we don't want to see guys like Leaky and Seth taking a lot of jump shots from distance. Nance will not have the time (if he plays) to be as deliberate in the paint as he likes, his decisions will have to be made much quicker. You can get a LOT of clean looks from them if you ball fake and then reverse it.

Reactions: Oak ridger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT