ADVERTISEMENT

This weekend's ACC games (Sunday ACC QB thoughts added)

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
There are 12 games involving 13 ACC teams this weekend, with UNC the lone team that is off. Here are some thoughts as the first game of the weekend kicks off tonight:

Tonight

Louisville at Florida State: Big game for both teams because we are still in the fact-finding part of the season. Scott Satterfield can call the dogs off some if he can get a win. He got a good one last Friday night at UCF, but this would be bigger. For FSU and Mike Norvell, people that want to believe the program is headed in the right direction need to see a win tonight, plus a thorough performance. Like FSU taking this one by 10 points.

Saturday

Purdue at Syracuse: This is such a big game for Dino Babers, that team, and if a big game for the ACC’s reputation. The Cuse has looked good so far. The D has been really solid and the run game is good as we expected. Purdue is supposed to have a Heisman candidate at QB and won nine games last year with higher expectations this season. This is a big game for the ACC.

Texas Tech at NC State: My guess is most of you figure if the ACC can win its other big games this weekend, the league can afford the Pack to lose. I can understand that, but from my perspective, the ACC can’t afford for a ranked team to lose at home to a nonconference opponent. This should be a really good game, and we will learn something about State tomorrow.

Miami at Texas A&M: This is the game that excites me the most. I really want to see what Miami is all about, and playing there with A&M coming off what happened last weekend, should make for a very interesting game. I’d like to say I like Miami’s chances here, but the ACC hasn’t done well in games like this in recent years.

Ole Miss at Georgia Tech: Can Tech pull a shocker? That’s what it would be if the Yellow Jackets can win. Can they keep it close? Perhaps. In a way, the sooner the Geoff Collins era ends on The Flats the better.

Louisiana Tech at Clemson: The Bulldogs won’t be a pushover and will make Clemson work if the Tigers aren’t sharp for the third straight game. Clemson has looked more like last year’s team so far than a return to pre-last year. This game may reveal something.

Pitt at Western Michigan: Pitt lost at home to the Broncos last year, so that makes this a big game, and it’s a dangerous one, too, with Pitt having QB issues now. Like UNC playing two Sun Belt teams on the road the last two weeks, it makes no earthly sense that Pitt is headed to Kalamazoo this weekend.

Liberty at Wake Forest: This could be an interesting game. The Flames are a solid program that punch up, but the defensive lineman that called the Deacs’ offense “cute” didn’t do his team any favors. Wake hosts Clemson next weekend, so when does Clawson take his foot off the pedal, if that becomes an option, will be interesting.

Old Dominion at Virginia: Dangerous game because the Monarchs are decent, but more so because UVA’s offense has been a mess so far. The OL was brutal at Illinois, so this is a huge team for this group the get something going on offense. Terrific QB and receivers, but the o-line has been so bad it has hurt them immensely.

NC A&T at Duke: This game is either sold out or close to it. Very cool. Duke will also win by a few TDs.

Wofford at Virginia Tech: Methodical pulling away for the Hokies, who win something like 34-6.

Maine at Boston College: Eagles have been a disappointment and need a win. They’ll get one with his problem here.

What do you guys think will happen in some of the bigger games, and what game are you most looking forward to watching?

Reactions: wskipster1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News