ADVERTISEMENT

Thread about Running

Yessir, an incredible effort, no doubt. That's almost exactly a 7:15 minute per mile average for 50 miles... :eek:

Fastest 100 mile time is 11:40 by Zach Bitter. I think that works out to a 7 minute mile pace... Probably found a way to avoid bathroom breaks.

Reactions: uncboy10
Fastest 100 mile time is 11:40 by Zach Bitter. I think that works out to a 7 minute mile pace... Probably found a way to avoid bathroom breaks.

Yeah that time is mind blowing to me. Zach Bitter is a freak of nature. No way to dodge the bathroom breaks on a 100 miler though. Ya gotta consume way too much fuel for it not to come out the other end. Just gotta move quick haha

Also I've found that at a certain point, short breaks in aid stations actually save time, because you can move faster after refreshing yourself.

More running inspiration

I was there in 2014. I was skeptical about the event being full of itself and not being very personable. But, other than the temps in the mid-90s and stomach issues I really enjoyed the experience. It is a bit like the Boston Marathon but with far fewer participants. A lot of history along that trail. Went to Yosemite afterwards.

The Brian Morrison/Scott Jurek story from whatever year it was is pretty amazing.

Brian Morrison was winning the Western States 100 Miler and being paced by the legendary Scott Jurek. Brian collapsed on the track at the finish (less than 1/4 mile to go) and Jurek helps him up and around the track. Brian is disqualified for outside assistance. Jurek, having won the race something like seven times, should have known that would be considered assistance. I can't remember how far back the second place person was but it seems like maybe Brian could have just crawled around the track and still won.

I was there in 2014. I was skeptical about the event being full of itself and not being very personable. But, other than the temps in the mid-90s and stomach issues I really enjoyed the experience. It is a bit like the Boston Marathon but with far fewer participants. A lot of history along that trail. Went to Yosemite afterwards.

The Brian Morrison/Scott Jurek story from whatever year it was is pretty amazing.

Brian Morrison was winning the Western States 100 Miler and being paced by the legendary Scott Jurek. Brian collapsed on the track at the finish (less than 1/4 mile to go) and Jurek helps him up and around the track. Brian is disqualified for outside assistance. Jurek, having won the race something like seven times, should have known that would be considered assistance. I can't remember how far back the second place person was but it seems like maybe Brian could have just crawled around the track and still won.

Damn that's awesome man. Western is one of my dream races, but I'm nowhere near ready for a 100 yet. Much less that one.

I agree about Jurek. He's one of the most decorated ultra runners of all time, he should have known the rules.

Damn that's awesome man. Western is one of my dream races, but I'm nowhere near ready for a 100 yet. Much less that one.

I agree about Jurek. He's one of the most decorated ultra runners of all time, he should have known the rules.

I hope you get there. The dang lottery makes it even harder to get in. You have to keep qualifying and hoping your number gets drawn. The year I got in I actually hoped I wouldn't because it was going to conflict with a trip my friends were going on that I wanted to do. Apparently, that's the secret to getting in. Hope you don't get in...

@TarHeelNation11

Hows that 5k time coming along?
Not saying these numbers I poasted today are good, but today I ran:

3.41 miles, 30:00, 411 calories.

Now that it's warm out, I can finally run outside and not feel like death. For me, the hotter it is when I run, the better. I was doing really fast-paced miles and just running a mile or 1.5 miles a day, but I'm switching it up now and trying a new approach of trying to run longer but slower-paced 'easier' miles. I'm going to try to get to where I can run for 45 minutes comfortably and not stop once. It's tough around here because everywhere is hilly though. I can be doing well on a run and hit a particularly steep hill and by the time I crest it, my will power is gone and my achilles are screaming and I have to stop.

And I'm sure you know well that once you stop that first time, it's near impossible to make yourself start back up and never stop again for the duration of the run.

ETA: I'm still finding that I can do much, much better (way better stamina, legs don't hurt nearly as much during the run, I can run longer) on a treadmill versus running outside. I know part of it is a mental thing, but I wonder if most of it is simply the hilly terrain? Like I said above, anywhere I can run outside around here contain massive hills intermittently through the route.

Not saying these numbers I poasted today are good, but today I ran:

3.41 miles, 30:00, 411 calories.

Now that it's warm out, I can finally run outside and not feel like death. For me, the hotter it is when I run, the better. I was doing really fast-paced miles and just running a mile or 1.5 miles a day, but I'm switching it up now and trying a new approach of trying to run longer but slower-paced 'easier' miles. I'm going to try to get to where I can run for 45 minutes comfortably and not stop once. It's tough around here because everywhere is hilly though. I can be doing well on a run and hit a particularly steep hill and by the time I crest it, my will power is gone and my achilles are screaming and I have to stop.

And I'm sure you know well that once you stop that first time, it's near impossible to make yourself start back up and never stop again for the duration of the run.

ETA: I'm still finding that I can do much, much better (way better stamina, legs don't hurt nearly as much during the run, I can run longer) on a treadmill versus running outside. I know part of it is a mental thing, but I wonder if most of it is simply the hilly terrain? Like I said above, anywhere I can run outside around here contain massive hills intermittently through the route.

Find a track. It’s a bitch to get used to the mental aspect of running in a circle but it’s a perfect surface for every stride

Also you can get better at stopping and starting again. That’s the secret to running ultras

Find a track. It’s a bitch to get used to the mental aspect of running in a circle but it’s a perfect surface for every stride

Also you can get better at stopping and starting again. That’s the secret to running ultras
My old high school is still nearby, but I only like to go there on the weekends. While you're technically allowed to use it whenever, it's frowned upon to use it during the school day, and such.

I do like running on a track better than just a street / trail route.

Reactions: uncboy10
My old high school is still nearby, but I only like to go there on the weekends. While you're technically allowed to use it whenever, it's frowned upon to use it during the school day, and such.

I do like running on a track better than just a street / trail route.

Summer is coming up so you won’t have to worry about the school day soon

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
now that i’m running again i can watch this one.

still tinkering with some minor injuries that have kept me from 10k races, but most of my 5k times are decent...i’ve always been a gym or p90x guy, but i supplement my weights days with 2-3 miles each day, 2-4 days a week...it’s probably why i’m injured, but i just love doing it...i wish i could get to the point where my times didn’t mean as much as my feeling overall, if that makes sense.

btw, my hood is such that it’s elevated in areas, has many streets, has one major loop(1.77), and is gated.

my buddy, a multi marathoner that lives behind me, has figured out how to run 26.2 in here without doing the same street twice.

i’ll do the loop three times in a row, which sucks because of the elevation, but doing your n’hood because your kids are asleep and you need a workout, that seems mad.

btw, my hood is such that it’s elevated in areas, has many streets, has one major loop(1.77), and is gated.

my buddy, a multi marathoner that lives behind me, has figured out how to run 26.2 in here without doing the same street twice.

i’ll do the loop three times in a row, which sucks because of the elevation, but doing your n’hood because your kids are asleep and you need a workout, that seems mad.

Ask him for the gps data and you could follow his route.

That setup sounds pretty awesome

I’m probably gonna try to do a 15 mile flat long run tomorrow. Ideally want to keep it around 8 to 8:15 pace. It’s going to be 75 and sunny so gotta take advantage of that

I’m probably gonna try to do a 15 mile flat long run tomorrow. Ideally want to keep it around 8 to 8:15 pace. It’s going to be 75 and sunny so gotta take advantage of that
To be honest, I don't know if my body could ever let me maintain that pace for 15 miles. I could probably get my body up to tackling 15 miles after extensive training, but there's no way I could hold an 8:15 pace. I can barely hold that pace for 2.5 miles.

I had some girls I work with ask me to run a 5K with them the other day. I got a kick out of it. They also asked me to do the swimming part of one of those triathlon type deals. Apparently you can't drink though.

To be honest, I don't know if my body could ever let me maintain that pace for 15 miles. I could probably get my body up to tackling 15 miles after extensive training, but there's no way I could hold an 8:15 pace. I can barely hold that pace for 2.5 miles.

Yeah but I’ve been training consistently for almost two years. You might be surprised what you could do after a few years of consistent running

@uncboy10 so, i’ve been an adidas shoe guy, usually the boost series, but my wife loves this on-running shoe.

know anything about it?

Adidas stuff has never quite fit me right so I don’t really know anything about their running shoes.

Adidas stuff has never quite fit me right so I don’t really know anything about their running shoes.
I really love the fit of Mizuno and Saucony when it comes to legit made-for-running shoes. If it's just general tennis shoes though, a pair of Nikes will do.

Meant to bump this thread. Other than the last 3 days where I've been non stop cramming for an exam, I've been running legit every day. I've pushed it so I can go at least 2.5 miles every single time without stopping. I don't go for any specific pace... I just run, but typically I hit the exact same pace every time once I review my run on Strava: 9:15. Typically, my run is about 2.6 miles in 20:30. I know that's not fast, but I'm still trying to build myself up to longer distance runs; I'm not too worried about pace. And my area is so damn hilly that pace is hard to keep consistent any way.

This weekend, I think I'll hit the flat track at the local high school and see if I can notch a 3+ mile run, without worrying about pace. I love that it's blazing hot out now so I can run outside. Call me crazy, but I LOVE running in the heat. You sweat a ton and it just feels like you're really sweating out all the toxins. I despise running in the cold.

This really well off dude lives across from my parents and he has this large pond in front of his house (equipped with a fountain and an island accessible by a bridge). It's a really sweet setup. Anyway, it has a paved asphalt track around it that is probably between a quarter and a half mile. So my wife talked me into walking with her there Sunday. We walked it four times. I now have shin splints. Running, walking, etc... It all sucks hard.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT