ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Beckman to return for 4th season at Illinois

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Posted this on premium and thought I'd share here as well. The Illini come to Kenan next season. Beckman is 12-24 at Illinois but they've seen steady improvement each season.

2012: 2-10 overall (0-8 B1G)
2013: 4-8 overall (1-7 B1G)
2014: 6-6 overall (3-5 B1G)

They were pretty terrible on both sides of the ball this year but managed to get to 6 wins thanks to 3 non-conference wins and upset of Minnesota and Penn State. This is the kind of game that the Heels absolutely have to win next season, no excuses.

With NCA&T and Delaware also coming to Kenan, the neutral-site game against South Carolina looms large. Win that one and the Heels get a huge early season boost and a great chance to go undefeated in non-conference games with 2 wins over Power 5 teams.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
Posted this on premium and thought I'd share here as well. The Illini come to Kenan next season. Beckman is 12-24 at Illinois but they've seen steady improvement each season.

They were pretty terrible on both sides of the ball this year but managed to get to 6 wins thanks to 3 non-conference wins and upset of Minnesota and Penn State. This is the kind of game that the Heels absolutely have to win next season, no excuses.

With NCA&T and Delaware also coming to Kenan, the neutral-site game against South Carolina looms large. Win that one and the Heels get a huge early season boost and a great chance to go undefeated in non-conference games with 2 wins over Power 5 teams.
Beckman is showing improvement each year. That is what you want. Koenning/Disch - no improvement shown, perhaps regression shown.

Apples and oranges
Both are fruits and will rot eventually ,and when they do, should be cast out. The look and the smell of the specific rot of each is unique, but rot is rot.

Which could make things very interesting next year because we went 4-2 in our division this year. The 2 OOC losses and 2 cross divisional losses really killed us. However we'll be swapping Clemson for Wake (+1 win), and ECU and Notre Dame for USuCk and Illinois. So if we beat both of them that would be a 3 win swing right there. There shouldn't be any problems with motivation in rawlee next year, and if we take care of business, it should look like the dook game a couple of weeks ago. That 4 game swing would push us to 10 wins.

Also I just don't see us losing to VT next year. VT is horrible. Now we're 11-1

I'm not sure about the odds of Duke Johnson going pro, but if he does I'd definitely have my money on us beating Miami next year. Either way I think this is the Coastal game to circle on your schedules for next year.

Talking about Carolina as a playoff contender sounds nuts, but we beat a GT team that otherwise might be playing FSU for a playoff spot. If our DB's stick their hands up a few times and don't give up several easy long TD's we might have beat them.

The realists will say they didn't. And they'd be right. But objectively speaking, not giving up huge plays isn't that much to ask on D. It's not like we're saying, man if we could've not given up 300 yards rushing we might have won. Some basic coaching, and we might have won that game. What am I trying to say? The right DC could make us a playoff contender, immediately. Maybe we're not ready to actually pull it off but winning 10 or 11 games at least gets us in the picture (where Carolina belongs)

Of course this is all fantasy, and an optimistic hypothetical. However, next year is the PERFECT opportunity for this program to step up. All this team needs is an average D. Not great. Larry Fedora and Bubba Cunningham will irreversibly lose my support if they screw that up by not getting a new staff. And I am one of the biggest Larry Fedora supporters on this forum, if not the biggest.

It is the same thing every year. Oh, just wait until next year. UNC will be better. We will have a better record. Blah Blah Blah.

The schedule is easier, but UNC will find a way to lose its share of games. If Fedora doesn't change the defensive scheme in the offseason, he should be fired. Maybe if we are lucky, UNC goes 7-5 next year!

We're returning 11 starters on offense, and there's a minimum of two free wins that we're losses this year. If you think we'll be "lucky" to win 7 games next year, you're not very bright. Honestly, I dont know why you even post here. 100% of your posts are negative, obviously Carolina football doesn't do anything for you, yet here you are.

Originally posted by SeaHawk98:

It is the same thing every year. Oh, just wait until next year. UNC will be better. We will have a better record. Blah Blah Blah.

The schedule is easier, but UNC will find a way to lose its share of games. If Fedora doesn't change the defensive scheme in the offseason, he should be fired. Maybe if we are lucky, UNC goes 7-5 next year!

Originally posted by uncboy10:

Of course this is all fantasy, and an optimistic hypothetical.
Yeah, I was getting a little worried about the first part of your post.
wink.r191677.gif
I certainly don't think we'll be playoff contenders next season, but given our schedule a 9-10 win season and an ACC Championship Game appearance aren't unreasonable goals. Like you said, we need to field a better defense. I'd also like to see more consistency on a weekly basis.

Of course this is all fantasy, and an optimistic hypothetical.
Yeah, I was getting a little worried about the first part of your post.
wink.r191677.gif
I certainly don't think we'll be playoff contenders next season, but given our schedule a 9-10 win season and an ACC Championship Game appearance aren't unreasonable goals. Like you said, we need to field a better defense. I'd also like to see more consistency on a weekly basis.
Well, I think its important to consider how different our expectations would be if our D wasn't basically the worst in the country. It's not like its kinda bad, its the worst. And yet our offense is so good that like you said 9 or 10 wins would still be a realistic goal. If we had an 'okay' defense, say somewhere in the 60's ranking wise this year, we would have a very different set of expectations. I think the right DC can make our D at least okay pretty much immediately, at which point the first part of my post wouldn't be so unrealistic.

Also, I might be defining "contender" a little different than you. By week 6 or 7 every undefeated team is considered a contender. If we take care of USuCk, we should get to 4-0 with little trouble. Frankly I think beating GT will be a lot harder than beating little carolina and we did that this year with the worst defense in the country.

And I mean you can only go up when you're the worst... lol

This post was edited on 12/4 2:43 PM by uncboy10

We're returning 11 starters on offense, and there's a minimum of two free wins that we're losses this year. If you think we'll be "lucky" to win 7 games next year, you're not very bright. Honestly, I dont know why you even post here. 100% of your posts are negative, obviously Carolina football doesn't do anything for you, yet here you are.

Actually, one could very much argue you aren't very bright if you think UNC is going to win more than 7 regular season games next year. Seriously, look a the history, points to you being totally wrong. The way things are going, I foresee some transfers and players leaving the program. Offense is nice, but defense wins championships and UNC has zero defense. They struggled to get 6 wins this year, they will struggle again next year. I like Fedora, but he makes some stupid decisions and his ability to make adjustments in game leaves a lot to be desired. I hope they win 10 next year, but I have been fooled as have all the fans too many times before. Not again.

Maybe if we are lucky, UNC goes 7-5 next year!
I consider myself a pretty realistic UNC football fan. While the media and posters were calling for a 9-10 win season this year, I said we'd finish 7-5 +/- 1 win depending on injuries and bad breaks. Our starting lineup on the OL didn't become completely healthy until the midpoint of the season. We also used 7 different starting lineups on defense due to injuries and suspensions. So all in all, I think my prediction was fair.

Here are our opponents next season:

Neutral Site: South Carolina
Home: NCA&T, Delaware, Illinois, dook, Miami, Virginia, Wake Forest
Away: Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, NC State

There isn't a single game on that schedule that isn't winnable. Not one. The three home non-conference games are about as easy as you can ask for, same with Wake with our cross-over game. So if we only split the remaining games that gets us to 7 wins. South Carolina and Miami are the only two that have more talent, and Georgia Tech's offense is always tough, but we really should beat dook, Virginia, Pitt, Virginia Tech, and NC State. So 7-8 wins is extremely reasonable.

Raising, we'll lose to SCar. You know it, and I know it.

Moo fans have a saying they call "N.C. State Sh*t" that they use as a catch-all to describe all the bad breaks they supposedly get and all the WTF losses they suffer.

Well, IMO, Carolina Football has its own version of that, and you just kinda have a way of knowing that UNC will lose certain games or certain things will undoubtedly come to pass. We'll just call it "Typical Carolina" For instance, when the schedule came out in January for this season and Duke/NC State was back-to-back, that was an immediate red flag. You just knew Carolina wouldn't win both of those games. Sure, they might win one or the other, but you just knew it would be very Typical Carolina for the Heels to win one but not the other. Another example of this is the 2012 co-Coastal Championship. Of course UNC would clinch a spot in the ACCCG in the one year they weren't eligible. You could tell halfway through the conference schedule that it was going to work out like that.

IMO, this SCar game falls in line with Typical Carolina syndrome. You should know by now that UNC does NOT win its first competitive game of the season against a P5 team (the Liberty's and Elon's of the world don't count). UNC hasn't won its first ACC game of the season in like a billion years. And in non-ACC openers (again, not counting FCS and G5 matchups), we also just don't win. LSU in 2010, SCar in 2013, etc. Ok fine, I'll give you Rutgers and UConn in recent years, but you get my point.

The point is....this game against SCar is such a potentially great springboard for our season next year. SCar is a bit down, our ACC schedule is favorable, our overall schedule is favorable, our amount of returning starters is favorable, everything looks rosy if we can just beat the Gamecocks.......BOOM! Typical Carolina. We'll probably lay an egg. Or the week before the game, a key player will get hurt or suspended, or something will go haywire.

I hope I'm wrong of course
3dsmile.r191677.gif

Though history would say you're right THN I have the complete opposite feeling about little carolina. I think we beat them, and I wouldn't even be that surprised if we did so by several TD's.

They haven't played well week 1 since the ole ball sack got there, and if they come out slow against us on D like they've done against Navy and the Citadel in recent years they will find themselves down 3-4 touchdowns in a hurry. The thing that worries me is it seems like the longer we have to prepare for a team the worse we play. They will have ZERO, and I mean literally ZERO passing game next year. As bad as they we're throwing the football this year their next guy on the depth chart is a freshman with pretty much zilch for experience. A one dimensional offense makes things a lot easier for a bad defense.

If we keep Koenning and Disch then 7-8 wins could easily happen. But a new DC and scheme could easily make this a 10 win team, and if we can see that from our couches then I'm sure Fedora has noticed it too.

Confidence can go a long way with a football team. That's how the mojo gets rolling. If we start the year 1-0 anything can happen. Regardless I think anything less than a ACCCG berth next year will be a failure.

I consider myself a pretty realistic UNC football fan. While the media and posters were calling for a 9-10 win season this year, I said we'd finish 7-5 +/- 1 win depending on injuries and bad breaks. Our starting lineup on the OL didn't become completely healthy until the midpoint of the season. We also used 7 different starting lineups on defense due to injuries and suspensions. So all in all, I think my prediction was fair.

There isn't a single game on that schedule that isn't winnable. Not one. The three home non-conference games are about as easy as you can ask for, same with Wake with our cross-over game. So if we only split the remaining games that gets us to 7 wins. South Carolina and Miami are the only two that have more talent, and Georgia Tech's offense is always tough, but we really should beat dook, Virginia, Pitt, Virginia Tech, and NC State. So 7-8 wins is extremely reasonable.
I completely agree every game on next year's schedule is winnable. But a lot of people were saying that about our schedule this year (besides maybe the trip to Clemson). On the other hand, I believe a majority of these games are also losable. This year was crazy, we finally beat GT and Fedora got the monkey off his back beating Duke. But then they turn around and lose to two really bad teams in State and VT.

I completely agree every game on next year's schedule is winnable. But a lot of people were saying that about our schedule this year (besides maybe the trip to Clemson). On the other hand, I believe a majority of these games are also losable. This year was crazy, we finally beat GT and Fedora got the monkey off his back beating Duke. But then they turn around and lose to two really bad teams in State and VT.
Actually most of the posters on here we're predicting 8 wins or less, and said 2015 would be our year. Next year's schedule is as easy as we will play for probably a decade or more.

Fedora seems to be 1 Step Up and 1 Step Back, with the Back Steps being the kind everybody remembers forever.

A pall has settled over the UNC football fan base and, considering the the last game, the team itself.

So do you guys actually think we may keep Koenning/Disch? Maybe I'm just too young to know better, but I don't see how this staff can not be fired. I cant even comprehend how that would be an option.

I don't care if we go get someone's middle school defensive coordinator, just make an effing change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT