ADVERTISEMENT

To answer a question.......

And just like that, life suddenly makes sense. Thanks Gary. Now excuse me while I pirouette from the computer signaling to the wife I'm headed to the kitchen refrigerator for a snack and an adult beverage, so get out of the way honey.

...about the pirouette reverse dribble at the Point.

I mentioned earlier that I suspected it was by design (given that set plays ensue from it), and I just got confirmation on that.

It is indeed a signal to the rest of the guys to transfer from Secondary action into certain on-the-fly play calls
SMDH….got to love Auburn fans…

And just like that, life suddenly makes sense. Thanks Gary. Now excuse me while I pirouette from the computer signaling to the wife I'm headed to the kitchen refrigerator for a snack and an adult beverage, so get out of the way honey.
Make sure she sets a solid screen for you... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
...about the pirouette reverse dribble at the Point.

I mentioned earlier that I suspected it was by design (given that set plays ensue from it), and I just got confirmation on that.

It is indeed a signal to the rest of the guys to transfer from Secondary action into certain on-the-fly play calls
I wonder what the coaches say to the guys when they turn it over and get picked off again? Hasn’t happened to EC but once, but that’s enough imo.

Reactions: Heelicious
Thank you Gary. That makes an awful lot of sense. It would just be too much of a coincidence to see both RJ and EC doing that. I still don't like it but at least I understand it. Thanks for the info!

Thank you Gary. That makes an awful lot of sense. It would just be too much of a coincidence to see both RJ and EC doing that. I still don't like it but at least I understand it. Thanks for the info!
No worries. To further clarify, as fans see, Hubert sometimes calls a play from the sideline before the ball gets to the frontcourt, so this move doesn't apply. Otherwise, our normal system is driven by transition, into Freelance if the Secondary stalls.

With that said, Hubert is more prone to use set plays than Roy or Dean were, so (particularly if the staff has seen something in scouting) he'll often tell his PG to wrangle the guys into the set they've emphasized in practice (instead of Freelance) once transition is over, and the pirouette has been that signal in recent games.

Also, as we saw in the State game, Hubert likes to hammer a play that works against a team until they show they can stop it, and as I understand it, the pirouette trigger is designed to signal us back into the designated "hot" set without a vocal call or hand signal.

And finally in a given sequence, if the play stalls, then EC creates in a short Freelance to salvage the possession.

Hope that covers it :).

Dance Dancing GIF by Sappy Seals

I am not especially fond of turning your back to you team mates but if a PG gets his pocket picked, it isn't because of the play call! It is because they didn't take care of their #1 duty! It is cute though and other fans are only making fun because we are better AND better looking than them!

Well thank goodness, we can sleep tonight now knowing why we get treated to the "pirouette". May I request they not wear tutus in the future? Can someone make that call? LOL

I am not especially fond of turning your back to you team mates but if a PG gets his pocket picked, it isn't because of the play call! It is because they didn't take care of their #1 duty! It is cute though and other fans are only making fun because we are better AND better looking than them!
Yeah, turning your back on the D from the top is generally a no-no, but this is happening far from pressure at the moment... and as I mentioned before, that move in the other direction was a normal backdoor trigger in Dean's Passing Game.

OK, so I'll bite, how does one know what they are doing is to far from pressure to be a problem when they turn their back to that pressure? Now I have seen guys that showed amazing peripheral vision, Cadeau being a great example but have never seen anyone able to see behind themselves when their back is turned? If I noticed this "pirouette" you can darn sure believe opposing coaches have and at some point someone is going to shoot that spin for a clean steal and lay up on the other end.

OK, so I'll bite, how does one know what they are doing is to far from pressure to be a problem when they turn their back to that pressure? Now I have seen guys that showed amazing peripheral vision, Cadeau being a great example but have never seen anyone able to see behind themselves when their back is turned? If I noticed this "pirouette" you can darn sure believe opposing coaches have and at some point someone is going to shoot that spin for a clean steal and lay up on the other end.
He is making the decision on when to signal, so I really have no worries there. If opponents start attacking it EC will likely leave them pulling up their jock straps. I also imagine that if we're getting guys to a 2-high post set, then at some point it can facilitate a back-cut lob.

Reactions: thompsjj
No worries. To further clarify, as fans see, Hubert sometimes calls a play from the sideline before the ball gets to the frontcourt, so this move doesn't apply. Otherwise, our normal system is driven by transition, into Freelance if the Secondary stalls.

With that said, Hubert is more prone to use set plays than Roy or Dean were, so (particularly if the staff has seen something in scouting) he'll often tell his PG to wrangle the guys into the set they've emphasized in practice (instead of Freelance) once transition is over, and the pirouette has been that signal in recent games.

Also, as we saw in the State game, Hubert likes to hammer a play that works against a team until they show they can stop it, and as I understand it, the pirouette trigger is designed to signal us back into the designated "hot" set without a vocal call or hand signal.

And finally in a given sequence, if the play stalls, then EC creates in a short Freelance to salvage the possession.

Hope that covers it :).
Hubert to me, just my opinion, is making what I would call a rookie mistake, it isn't as bad as last season but I strongly feel he needs to clean this up in his own coaching. This calling so many set plays, fans lately have spotted this with those late half time outs to bring them over and get his play set in, which never works? LOL Yeah, believe it was RJ that hit a big trey as the first half clock ticked away 3 or 4 games ago but to many end up in a really bad shot. It to me this is over coaching but I expect that from coaches that are not yet seasoned as head coaches.

Last season, we drilled strong on set plays in practice but per multiple players we really didn't work on free lance... You SAY WHAT? LOL Yet the majority of our set plays broke down and we ended up in free lance anyway, free lance that we did not practice, I will never understand that, don't think I want to actually. I feel like but have no confirm that we are working on free lance more this season but that could be from the really experienced guys we have now.

For the record, I absolutely HATE that term free lance, it sounds as if we are about to play on a black top somewhere and it has no structure at all. Clearly that is not the case but I much prefer motion offense as a term because it implies structure. No matter what term is used for it if most of your offense is going to be "free lance" then we need to practice mostly on that and mix in the off script set plays as we can fit within the time frame allowed.

I completely believe that you play as you practice, you practice as you want to play. That does include effort and communication as well as game speed. If the majority of our set plays end up in free lance and you didn't work on free lance in practice then Houston, we have a problem and we watched it play out all of last season but most especially late season as our NCAAT dreams faded with each game. Drill them in the precepts of free lance and have them run it at full game speed in practice and hold accountability when the effort is not there.

Ok, so that is my rant for the day! LOL

In theory all that could be true but you can't look at this team and how it plays and worry about last year!

Reactions: gberry78
I get the fundamental angst, I do, but it does not bother me too much, much ado about nothing for me. If heavy ball pressure you can't do it as a signal, but with that it is a different attack set up anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT