ADVERTISEMENT

Today is a very big day

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
UNC is 8-1 and remains a good ways below the Top 10 primarily because the loss, which was embarrassing, is to a team that also has lost to Marshall and Stanford, and most wins have either by good luck or else by the skin of the teeth. Also factoring in is that ACC football is having another sucky year - beating all the junk we've beaten means literally nothing to those who know SEC football. The Pac this year is definitely better than the ACC, as are the BT and Big 12.

So while UNC fans still have a large number of people amongst them who can manage to see great signs even when the team beats nobody worth playing, in the real football world, the only thing that matters now to UNC having any meaningful respect is Maye remaining in talk for the Heisman. And that is next to impossible unless this team finishes the season 11-1 and in the ACC Championship.

UNC is 8-1 and remains a good ways below the Top 10 primarily because the loss, which was embarrassing, is to a team that also has lost to Marshall and Stanford, and most wins have either by good luck or else by the skin of the teeth. Also factoring in is that ACC football is having another sucky year - beating all the junk we've beaten means literally nothing to those who know SEC football. The Pac this year is definitely better than the ACC, as are the BT and Big 12.

So while UNC fans still have a large number of people amongst them who can manage to see great signs even when the team beats nobody worth playing, in the real football world, the only thing that matters now to UNC having any meaningful respect is Maye remaining in talk for the Heisman. And that is next to impossible unless this team finishes the season 11-1 and in the ACC Championship.
A 1-point win counts the exact same as a 40-point win. You mention the losses by Notre Dame but yet you leave out the drubbing they put on Clemson, why is that? Weird. ND will have several guys drafted in the first 3 rounds and have been a little inconsistent under their first-year coach, which isn't out of the norm. They've won their last 3 (2 were ranked teams) and look to be peaking at the right time. Just glad this coaching staff is getting W's unlike that coaching POWERHOUSE of BIG-TIME coaches over in Coral Gables.

Go Heels!

Signed,

A True Fan

Last edited:
Can you please explain how Notre Dame beating their last two opponents (both ranked) by 3 scores is by the "skin of the teeth"? They had Clemson down 35-7 with 3 min left. The Irish have several kids that will get drafted in the first 3 rounds but struggled early on with consistency led by a first-year head coach. Always gotta throw that jab in there.

Go Heels!

Signed,

A True Fan
I think he means most of our wins have been by good luck or the skin of our teeth. Regardless, it was yet another Woad post denigrating our team. He can’t seem to find any joy in Carolina football anywhere, don’t know why he continues to watch.

I think he means most of our wins have been by good luck or the skin of our teeth. Regardless, it was yet another Woad post denigrating our team. He can’t seem to find any joy in Carolina football anywhere, don’t know why he continues to watch.
I edited it, but the point still stands. The endless posts on a message board about a program he loathes.

Wins are good...but, they are also winning games by the skin of their teeth. There's no denying that.

It's somewhat difficult to "enjoy" these games, while they're being played. As a fan, these are the kinds of games that wring you out, and it's every weekend. It's much better than losing, no doubt. But, they are taxing to watch. The fans can, at least, feel a sense of contribution, in a way. We're not playing, but we're exhausted from the ride.

I'm impressed by the kids who have been able to provide the results.

everything can be viewed different ways. yesterday's narrow margin of victory could mean that carolina didn't play well so don't get excited. or it can be the kind of game carolina has been losing for years against an outstanding opposing QB who threw for 320 yds and 4 tds but the tar heels still managed to get the w, i.e., something to get excited about. i choose option "b."

now that my euphoria has subsided from the excellent win at wake, i'm looking at ga tech and ncsu and i see opportunity and pitfalls. in recent years carolina football fans have gotten excited only to suffer huge disappointment. i.e., we need these two wins. a late season upset from overconfidence, loss of focus, underestimating opponents' motivation, or whatever would be very hurtful to our program.

Reactions: strummingram
now that my euphoria has subsided from the excellent win at wake, i'm looking at ga tech and ncsu and i see opportunity and pitfalls. in recent years carolina football fans have gotten excited only to suffer huge disappointment. i.e., we need these two wins. a late season upset from overconfidence, loss of focus, underestimating opponents' motivation, or whatever would be very hurtful to our program.
i respect this post because we’ve seen the letdowns and the look overs in the past.

i don’t know why, but i’d expect a letdown vs gatech more than raleigh…mostly because “next game after big game” and they are college athletes.

i don’t expect a letdown the last week…call it whatever you want, but i expect carolina to beat them down at home…and hey, maybe mack entices them a bit with something to keep them focused…not a helmet per say, but maybe a ring haha.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
i respect this post because we’ve seen the letdowns and the look overs in the past.

i don’t know why, but i’d expect a letdown vs gatech more than raleigh…mostly because “next game after big game” and they are college athletes.

i don’t expect a letdown the last week…call it whatever you want, but i expect carolina to beat them down at home…and hey, maybe mack entices them a bit with something to keep them focused…not a helmet per say, but maybe a ring haha.
Mack understands the significance of beating duke and moo. He's not going to let them look past that game.

A 1-point win counts the exact same as a 40-point win. You mention the losses by Notre Dame but yet you leave out the drubbing they put on Clemson, why is that? Weird. ND will have several guys drafted in the first 3 rounds and have been a little inconsistent under their first-year coach, which isn't out of the norm. They've won their last 3 (2 were ranked teams) and look to be peaking at the right time. Just glad this coaching staff is getting W's unlike that coaching POWERHOUSE of BIG-TIME coaches over in Coral Gables.

Go Heels!

Signed,

A True Fan
Exactly how does ND drubbing Clemson help UNC's reputation in the world of CFB? That game only highlights the UNC bad loss to ND even more, marking the ACC was very weak.

Top players from leagues assumed to be very weak rarely win major awards, and their champs are rarely accorded respect.

Th reputation of the league now is so low that the only thing that will not harm the reputation of UNC football more among those who best know and most passionately follow CFB will be to finish the regular season 11-1 and then either win the ACC Championship or else play very well in losing a close one to an 11-1 Clemson team.

And then there is the huge need for a bowl win over a team that matters, meaning a team ranked and and in a P5.

UNC football has been cursed for at least 60 years with a bunch of fans who are quite happy to see the team finish 7-4 or 8-4 because that means it was not a losing team. So happy about those numbers that a 7-4 team could get a coach an extension even though he had 3 losing teams before the 7-4.

In the SEC, those winning records are setting you up to get fired, unless you are Vandy and maybe Kentucky.

When you tolerate mediocrity you guarantee mediocrity - that goes for a conference as well as a specific program. The ACC is on the point of being shoved to death precisely because UNC and the ACC have been very happy top wallow in mediocrity while working triple time to win as much as humanly possible in basketball. Football being many times bigger than basketball means that no what you win in basketball, no matter how large your basketball fans bases, if you fail to deliver fans and Big Timelines in football, you are doomed when the richer, better leagues are real to expand.

Yet another doom and gloom post by Woad. Don’t you ever get tired of denigrating UNC football and the ACC? You don’t seem to give a shit about any other sports other than football. Grow up, it’s a fuking game, it’s not life or death. If the ACC collapses due to the greed for football money, so be it. Then you can openly root for an SEC or B1G powerhouse. You don’t care if football ruins college sports because it’s football. Do us all a favor and just stop posting your drivel here.

Exactly how does ND drubbing Clemson help UNC's reputation in the world of CFB? That game only highlights the UNC bad loss to ND even more, marking the ACC was very weak.

Top players from leagues assumed to be very weak rarely win major awards, and their champs are rarely accorded respect.
Boy, it took you days to respond only to move the goal posts. Clemson is one of the top team/brands in CFB, correct? How many games did they win in a row before that drubbing? UNC's lone loss is to a team that just drubbed Clemson.

Enjoy the 9-1 and for once, just stop bitching.

Th reputation of the league now is so low that the only thing that will not harm the reputation of UNC football more among those who best know and most passionately follow CFB will be to finish the regular season 11-1 and then either win the ACC Championship or else play very well in losing a close one to an 11-1 Clemson team.

And then there is the huge need for a bowl win over a team that matters, meaning a team ranked and and in a P5.

UNC football has been cursed for at least 60 years with a bunch of fans who are quite happy to see the team finish 7-4 or 8-4 because that means it was not a losing team. So happy about those numbers that a 7-4 team could get a coach an extension even though he had 3 losing teams before the 7-4.

In the SEC, those winning records are setting you up to get fired, unless you are Vandy and maybe Kentucky.

When you tolerate mediocrity you guarantee mediocrity - that goes for a conference as well as a specific program. The ACC is on the point of being shoved to death precisely because UNC and the ACC have been very happy top wallow in mediocrity while working triple time to win as much as humanly possible in basketball. Football being many times bigger than basketball means that no what you win in basketball, no matter how large your basketball fans bases, if you fail to deliver fans and Big Timelines in football, you are doomed when the richer, better leagues are real to expand.
Cool. 9-1.

Go Heels.

I love that this team is in the ACC Championship. We thought this team was going to have a hard time being bowl eligible; and now we get to watch them play Clemson. I even enjoy daydreaming about the college playoff. It will be difficult to win out. Each game is losable with our defense, but winnable with our offense. Maye is a pleasure to watch and Downs is going to be a great NFL receiver. I really want a win over State and would probably trade a loss to Clemson for it, but regardless, UNC fans are talking football in November; what could be better.

You would rather beat moo than win an ACC championship? That makes no sense.
You are right, but if we lose to Clemson I will not hear anything about it and if we lose to NC State I will probably never hear the end of it.
My head says, of course, an ACC Championship is more important. Can I have both?

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Best unc team since 2015 right now, might eclipse that one if we beat busy and Clemson.

I've been called a lot of things . . . But never a moo fan.
Not calling you a moo fan, just saying that sounds like something they would say. I've seen some of their fans on pack pride say they would rather go 1-11 with a win against us, than 11-1 with a loss against us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT