ADVERTISEMENT

Transport advice - Dean Smith centre to Durham bus station on match night

Dec 1, 2019
Hi, I wonder if there is anyone who can help me with my question.

I am visiting the US from the UK in March for a few days on a pilgrimage to see some NCAA basketball.

My first priority is to see UNC play at the Dean Smith centre and I have a ticket for the final home game of the season on March 3rd.

My second priority is to try and cram as much travel as I can and I am hoping to catch a train from Durham to Charlottesville that leaves Durham on March 3rd at 10:20pm. It is so tight that I know I need to get it planned to a Tee before the night.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it will take to get from the Dean Smith centre to the Durham bus station on a match night after the game?

Will I be able to book a taxi to pick me up from the centre or nearby, and how long would it take me to get to the place where the taxi can pick me up?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ian

Hi, I wonder if there is anyone who can help me with my question.

I am visiting the US from the UK in March for a few days on a pilgrimage to see some NCAA basketball.

My first priority is to see UNC play at the Dean Smith centre and I have a ticket for the final home game of the season on March 3rd.

My second priority is to try and cram as much travel as I can and I am hoping to catch a train from Durham to Charlottesville that leaves Durham on March 3rd at 10:20pm. It is so tight that I know I need to get it planned to a Tee before the night.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it will take to get from the Dean Smith centre to the Durham bus station on a match night after the game?

Will I be able to book a taxi to pick me up from the centre or nearby, and how long would it take me to get to the place where the taxi can pick me up?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ian

Since the game starts at 7, I can tell you it will be very difficult to make it to Durham by 10:30 if you try to leave after the game ends. You won't be able to get a taxi either unless you want to walk at least 30 minutes to some place where you will be able to get an Uber. I wouldn't even dream of trying to deal with a conventional cab- those are notoriously unreliable in these parts. There are satellite parking lots which provide bus service to people who park in those lots, but the bus won't depart until full, which is usually around the end of the game.

Traffic around the Smith Center during games is awful and there's just no avoiding it.

When is the next train to Charlottesville? Have you also considered renting a car? It's a pretty simple drive from Chapel Hill- about 3.5 hours and very few turns.

A) you cannot get a taxi from the Smith Center after the game, you'll have to ride one of the Tar Heel transit buses back to it's hub and take a taxi from there, which means you will very likely not make it to the Durham bus station in time.

B) in case you do make it to the Durham bus station at 10 pm, bring a gun.

Reactions: Grayhead
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT