ADVERTISEMENT

Trip to Pittsburgh - Vile Fans

Sep 5, 2023
I've been a long-time lurker on this board, but finally have a reason to post after my family and I went to the game in Pittsburgh this past weekend. Never in my life have I encountered a more despicable fan base with as many s**t talking meathead fans as the Panthers had. Seriously, you would have thought they were a National Championship contender. Between the racist things that I heard directed toward Omarion, drunken fans threatening other UNC fans, and I will never step foot in that stadium again.

I've been a long-time lurker on this board, but finally have a reason to post after my family and I went to the game in Pittsburgh this past weekend. Never in my life have I encountered a more despicable fan base with as many s**t talking meathead fans as the Panthers had. Seriously, you would have thought they were a National Championship contender. Between the racist things that I heard directed toward Omarion, drunken fans threatening other UNC fans, and I will never step foot in that stadium again.
Historically, Pitt fans have such a reputation of aggressive nastiness only toward Penn St and its fans (and that actually began with PSU fans during the 1950s becoming very hostile to all things Pitt). They are also very hostile to WVU and its fans, but it is all about socio-economic class biases. But I've never even heard about Pitt fans being nasty to Syracuse fans - and now Pitt is Syracuse's most payed football rival.

Bad fans everywhere with every team…I am guessing you must have been dealing with the student section…From the TV view that’s all that was there….Shame Pitt doesn’t have on campus Stadium..It hurts them for sure…

So.....they are vile. Weird that an elitist culture would exist in Western PA
Pitt is an Elite school. It, like UNC and UVA, was one of the 8 originally designated Public Ivys. It was originally private and since its designation it has returned somewhat to being private so that it now is actually a public-privtek, if that makes any sense. Only in PA.

The Pitt student section is known as the Oakland Zoo - Oakland is the area in town of the campus. And the Oakland Zoo is very loud and quite rowdy for basketball. So maybe they are tring to amp up their football presence and can do it most easily when the crowd is so small.

Reactions: Archer2
Bad fans everywhere with every team…I am guessing you must have been dealing with the student section…From the TV view that’s all that was there….Shame Pitt doesn’t have on campus Stadium..It hurts them for sure…
Pitt Stadium was a classic.

Pitt is an Elite school. It, like UNC and UVA, was one of the 8 originally designated Public Ivys. It was originally private and since its designation it has returned somewhat to being private so that it now is actually a public-privtek, if that makes any sense. Only in PA.

The Pitt student section is known as the Oakland Zoo - Oakland is the area in town of the campus. And the Oakland Zoo is very loud and quite rowdy for basketball. So maybe they are tring to amp up their football presence and can do it most easily when the crowd is so small.
I'm not dismissing Pitt as a good school, but you're using "elite" way to liberally. If you look at the most recent US News university rankings, or really any ranking, they ain't close to the same class as UNC or UVA. In fact, they're likely in the bottom 25% of the ACC, especially with Cal and Stanford joining. It isn't even the top state school in PA.

it isn't Pitt fans in particular, it's Pittsburgh area fans. They think they are at the center of the athletic universe and they aren't always polite about letting you know. It's obnoxious.

I've witnessed some pretty a-hole behavior from them, but TBH one of the better times I've had at a football game was at a Panthers pre-season game at BOA stadium (or whatever it was then) against the Steelers where I found myself seated right smack in the middle of a Steelers fan club 20-30 strong. All game long I ragged on them and they ragged on me, and it was all in good fun and it was a blast.

Grew up outside of Cleveland and if you want to talk about some nasty stuff someone should site a book about Steelers/Browns fans and their rivalry especially before Browns moved to Baltimore

Grew up outside of Cleveland and if you want to talk about some nasty stuff someone should site a book about Steelers/Browns fans and their rivalry especially before Browns moved to Baltimore
I know a little about that, having worked with a sports-fan guy whose family was from the Cleveland area. Mutual hatred and no compunctions about acting on it.

My B-I-L and I played golf and picked up a third who happened to be from England. He said he moved here and quickly became infatuated with the game of football. And he said he was an Oakland Raiders fan. We asked him 'why Oakland?'.

He said he had no loyalties so he decided to visit various stadiums in his business travels around the country, to take in games in order to choose a team to root for. He said he was at Oakland for a game with the Kansas City Chiefs and visited the restroom. A big crowd of Raiders fans were in there when in walked an unsuspecting guy wearing a Chiefs jersey. He said within a half a minute the guy was sprawled out on the floor with his jersey ripped off and thrown into the urinal, and with a bloody face, with Oakland fans stepping over him on their way in and out like nothing unusual had happened. He said he found his team right then and became a Raiders fan. Yikes.

So maybe they are tring to amp up their football presence and can do it most easily when the crowd is so small.
I was griping somewhere about our fans leaving early. I wasn't paying attention to Pitt fans as I watched the game but late in the game they showed the stadium and I lol'ed at the handful of fans who had decided to tough it out, and the game wasn't even really quite in the bag yet. Guess I won't bitch about ours now,

You have to wonder why Omarion was singled out for "racist" things?
It's not like he was the Ricky Lanier of the current team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT