ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Prep

al would

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2009
I have just seen some snippets of UC but as a UNC coaching staff how to you approach and game plan for a team that has 2 of the things that generally give you trouble? They have big guards that shoot a decent % from 3 and they have a 7'2 280lb. center that will dwarf Mando and probably neutralize his scoring and likely get him in to foul trouble. They also have 5 players avg. double digits and 8 players averaging over 10 mpg so they are fairly deep. I know games are not played on paper but what do you think would be a good game plan for UNC. I think run run run and scramble/press on D for 40 minutes but I know nothing. This looks like a tough match-up for UNC but the Vegas line isn't showing it. Where's our advantage in this match-up?

Reactions: r_u_worthy
I don't think they are deep; they've just been blowing some teams out. Against KU only 7 guys played and they only played 30 bench minutes total. One of their best players (Castle) has missed the last 6 games; if he's out again they're very shallow.

They basically rely on Newton to create or Clingan to post up, and then surround them with shooters. This seems like one of those matchups Bacot might struggle with; Clingan is much bigger than him and it won't be easy to finish anything against him. The UConn guards are also much bigger than ours.

I agree with running; don't think the UConn team is very athletic. Ingram will also have a really good matchup relative to others, so I'd let him run the offense a lot. He can drive/post and then kick to RJ or Ryan.

Would be interesting to try 5-out with Washington to get Clingan out of the paint. Washington probably can't guard Clingan at all but you could try doubling him on the catch; some of the UConn shooters have been struggling this year so far.

I agree with running; don't think the UConn team is very athletic.
Interesting take .. I was wondering why the tight spread .. especially at their place, and I don't follow UConn or many other NCAA teams but the size of their big and guards threw up some red flags that I thought might cause some problems. GO HEELS !!

Rebounding will be crucial- push the pace and change defensive schemes up to make them think. These things will help to neutralize their size. If we can shoot a good percentage from three I like our chances

Interesting take .. I was wondering why the tight spread .. especially at their place, and I don't follow UConn or many other NCAA teams but the size of their big and guards threw up some red flags that I thought might cause some problems. GO HEELS !!
Neutral court...MSG. Lots of UNC fans.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Neutral court...MSG. Lots of UNC fans.
Never even looked at the venue Steat. MSG and the UNC pipeline have a long tradition with Coach Smith and Hubs. Hope the UNC fans show out .. good NC crowd can't hurt for sure !!

Reactions: Steat
If we can shoot a good percentage from three I like our chances
Hope the size of their guards .. and big don't present to much of a problem. Need some good screening and off the ball movement to get some clean looks maybe.

Kansas did a really good job switching 1-4. Someone tracked it here. Maybe a blueprint on how to defend them.

Kansas did a really good job switching 1-4. Someone tracked it here. Maybe a blueprint on how to defend them.
Do we have the size to switch and defend effectively? I'm thinking they will want to pound inside to get Bacot in foul trouble early ..

Reactions: gauchoheel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT