ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Commit Walker Jenkins Drafted #5 by Twins

Well so much for recruiting high level talent players out of HS, when they could opt for a big payday and get drafted. Heck, can you blame them?

Chicago Cubs draft UNC baseball commitment Zyhir Hope in 11th round of MLB Draft​

Posted Jul 12, 2023
The Chicago Cubs selected 2023 Colonial Forge graduate Zyhir Hope in the 11th round of the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Tuesday. The Cubs had followed Hope heavily this spring. Hope, who has signed with UNC, recorded nine home runs, 38 RBI, 35 runs, 29 stolen bases, a .663 on-base percentage and a .530 batting average this season in 24 games. (Inside NoVa)

Only losing 2 of our recruiting class for this coming season is better then some of our past classes… Both being outfielders though could mean we have to look elsewhere for players

I remember some of those Mike Fox recruiting classes being decimated by the draft. It was one of my biggest complaints, even though I knew he had to go after those kids. But there were a few times when there were no backup plans and the class suffered, leading to a few ‘Un-Carolina like’ seasons.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Even in the NIL era colleges will continue to lose HS kids if a MLB team wants them bad enough thru the first half of the draft

Only losing 2 of our recruiting class for this coming season is better then some of our past classes… Both being outfielders though could mean we have to look elsewhere for playe
is an 11th round selection gonna take the money and run -- or is there a chance he'll try to improve his draft status with 3 years of college ball?? @KevinHeel ???

Round 11 doesn't have a slot value, if he got any money, it wouldn't be much.

That’s right. Slot value stops in the 10th round. I did find this

“For players drafted after the 10th round, teams can offer signing bonuses of $125,000 without it counting towards their draft pool money.”

That’s right. Slot value stops in the 10th round. I did find this

“For players drafted after the 10th round, teams can offer signing bonuses of $125,000 without it counting towards their draft pool money.”
Didn't realize it could be that much. I doubt they give the max much for a draft pick that low. Even if they do, that's not going to take you far after taxes. Then you thrown in your small salary and not so glamorous life on the road in the minors, it seems like a no brainer to choose college. Although, I'm not an 18 year old with someone waiving a check in my face. Never can tell what will happen with kids.

Didn't realize it could be that much. I doubt they give the max much for a draft pick that low. Even if they do, that's not going to take you far after taxes. Then you thrown in your small salary and not so glamorous life on the road in the minors, it seems like a no brainer to choose college. Although, I'm not an 18 year old with someone waiving a check in my face. Never can tell what will happen with kids.

Oh, I agree, just posting the relevant information. Who knows what a kid will do these days. I was drafted in the very low rounds back in the early 90”s when there were about 900 rounds. I was offered 5 grand so I went to college instead then got injured. Should have taken the 5 grand 🤣

The Cubs offered Hope 400k, and he signed on the dotted line.
Jenkins' slot value is 7.14M- and he has not yet agreed to terms.

The Cubs offered Hope 400k, and he signed on the dotted line.
Jenkins' slot value is 7.14M- and he has not yet agreed to terms.
Interesting move. Wouldn't have thought they would use draft pool money on an 11th round pick, but maybe that's normal. Admittedly, I don't follow pro sports much anymore. Too much extra stuff going on.

I've been seeing that players with a college commitment are getting above their slot because of the leverage of going to school instead.

Jenkins signed his contract with Minnesota yesterday… Reported to get slot value of $7.14 million

That's a nice payday, wishing him the best on achieving his dream and goal in life. 👏👏👏👏👏

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT