ADVERTISEMENT

UNC to face Rutgers in the Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit), 12/26 at 4:30 pm

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:
The RU fans on this thread appear to be good representatives of RU.

I would advise UNC fans to not go to their site. 2/3 of the RU fans over there predict an easy win against us, the other 1/3 are just gleefully taking shots about UNC and saying that one of us should have not taken the bowl bid... because UNC is so scummy and RU is so pure.

This post was edited on 12/8 1:01 PM by UNC_Blue
Yep. Already went to their board earlier today....and I regret doing so.
There are many Rutgers fans who regret looking at that board.... yet do so every day. Go figure.

I would advise UNC fans to not go to their site. 2/3 of the RU fans over there predict an easy win against us, the other 1/3 are just gleefully taking shots about UNC and saying that one of us should have not taken the bowl bid... because UNC is so scummy and RU is so pure.

In the past, I have noticed quite a few online Rutgers fans who rather automatically dislike UNC and identify somewhat with MooU. Maybe it is just the color red and having an AG school. But Georgia, Wisconsin, and Nebraska wear red and have an AG school, and their fans do not exhibit such bad taste

Originally posted by DanoRU:
Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Yep. Already went to their board earlier today....and I regret doing so.
There are many Rutgers fans who regret looking at that board.... yet do so every day. Go figure.
+1 to that. Masochism? A need to feel superior to the morons online? Sheer boredom?

Not sure. But the Rutgers message board is one bizarre place. Of course, if you suffered with as much misery in your sporting lifetimes as we have in ours, perhaps this would be a similar cesspool of misery.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Originally posted by yesrutgers01:

I haven't really followed you guys all that closely but can see you have a good offense and bad defense. Any breakdown you can share as to what you guys think are your strengths and weaknesses?
I'll try to keep it brief haha.

Carolina has a reasonably talented team if recruiting rankings are to be believed. However, the Heels are down 15 cumulative scholarships (5 each of the last 3 years) due to NCAA sanctions. The team has also been plagued by serious inconsistency throughout the season in all 3 phases.

QB Marquise Williams has become the heart and soul of the offense. Think Steve McNair Jr. His greatest attributes are his athleticism and his decision making, i.e. avoiding bad plays.

This has a chance to bode well for you as we have not faired all that well against athletic QB's.

The OL is very young (4 sophomores, 1 junior) and was injury plagued through the first half of the season. As a result, UNC's running game has struggled despite having quality depth at the RB position. Williams is the leading rusher thanks to his ability to make plays with his legs when a pass play breaks down or he sees an opening. But when the running game is clicking, this offense is virtually unstoppable.

This could be trouble for you. As others have mentioned, our run D is deceptive because of who we played and when we played them. Last year(almost all the same DL, we were 4th in run D and even this year, we shut down Navy. But running our gauntlet against the top RB's mid-late in the year, wore us down. Our safeties may take the worst angles ever in CFB and it is why we gave up so many homeruns. But with the D rested and having 3 weeks to only worry about one team. they may show up for a good game against your young OL. Our pass rush can be very disruptive at times. D. Hamilton is a small DT but always in the backfield and true Freshman, Turay is just a freak.

Williams is a reasonably accurate passer in UNC's spread offense thanks to quick hitters. His deep ball has improved a bit this season as well. Passes are distributed pretty evenly and UNC has 4 receivers who can all hurt you. However, they don't consistently get open and Williams has had erratic games where his mechanics have led to bad throws.

This is without a doubt your best chance to hurt us. We just don't do well against quick hitting offenses with mult good receivers. Our poor tackling and angles to the ball turn short passes into long gains.

Where to start on defense? Carolina uses a 4-2-5 base set although that may be out the door along with its defensive coordinator (no news yet). The scheme uses a hybrid DE/LB ("Bandit") up front and a hybrid LB/Safety ("Ram) in the secondary. Theoretically, this offers flexibility against various offensive personnel groupings. In practice, however, it has left UNC undersized at a number of positions and the results have been predictable.

Very similar to us.

The defensive front isn't especially stout against the run and doesn't create much pressure on the QB. Naturally that creates problems for the back 7. Those problems have been compounded by players taking bad angles and using poor tackling technique if/when they get there. Again, the results have been inconsistent. Honestly, UNC's best defensive efforts have come against lackluster offenses (Virginia Tech, Virginia, dook). The best thing I have to say about the Heels' defense is that it's opportunistic. They've forced some timely fumbles and interceptions this season.

We lost our top RB Paul James early in the season. Took a while to find the right replacements but now we showcase two very good True Freshmen RB's who are homerun hitters as well as the type that are always falling forward. This could be trouble for your front 7. These two do not go down on first contact. and if you do not get pressure on Gary Nova, he can sometimes look like a top draft pick as QB. But if you find a way to pressure him, you can force a lot of mistakes.

Our kickoff and punt coverage teams are outstanding. Our kickoff and punt return teams are meh, although PR Ryan Switzer tied an NCAA record with 5 PR TDs last season. Our field goal kicking is abysmal. Six of 12 on the season and the longest kick was 30 yards. Anything between the opponent's 20-yard line and 40-yard line is basically four-down territory for the Tar Heels.

This will be interesting. Our returner has had some very good games the last few weeks and always a threat. Our kick coverage is average at best. So both teams may neutralize each other. Your FG kicker may be trouble for you...We have the best kick blocking team in CFB over the past 10 years or so.

All in all, this could be a fun game. It sure isn't in the ideal location and I think any disappointment either fan base feels isn't really the opponent but a combination of many other things including location and timing. I'm sure in your case, the season that you just had doesn't help either. In our case, after years of getting crappy bowls as part of the BE/AAC, we were hoping a good first season in the B1G would give us something better then we used to get.
PS - if anyone reads our message board, we have some people that are very irritating and irrational but most are very good and intelligent. But like most message boards, you have a handful of people that make 90% of the posts. Come in and discuss football and have some fun with us.

Originally posted by yesrutgers01
Our safeties may take the worst angles ever in CFB and it is why we gave up so many homeruns.
HA!!! Wait till you get a load of ours! That is, if they don't just fall down to keep from having to tackle someone.

Our safeties may take the worst angles ever in CFB and it is why we gave up so many homeruns.
HA!!! Wait till you get a load of ours! That is, if they don't just fall down to keep from having to tackle someone.
Oh man...sounds like the safeties may run into each other even though none of them will be on the field at the same time. lol

The specialty faux arm tackle will abound!

The article in the Charlotte Disturber was, if nothing else, on point. Detroit? Will the lights be on? Will any "fans" show up?

Oh man...sounds like the safeties may run into each other even though none of them will be on the field at the same time. lol
In a battle of "Whose DBs suck the most?" I am going with ours every time. I defy any team to prove their DBs can be worse than ours.

And I think it is all about the coaching.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

In a battle of "Whose DBs suck the most?" I am going with ours every time. I defy any team to prove their DBs can be worse than ours.

And I think it is all about the coaching.
It absolutely is, we get highly rated recruits, they go on to play in the NFL when they leave here... it is while they are here that it seems they are clueless.

Don't think so. Here's a good article that explains how the ACC bowl selection process played out.

From the article:

Unlike the Big Ten and SEC, the ACC does not assign teams to bowl games based on potential matchup. The ACC still allows its bowl partners to make their own selections. The four Tier I games submitted their top five choices in rank order. Two bowls ended up with their No. 1 choice. Two bowls ended up with their No. 2 choice.

That clearly means there were ties that had to be broken. Their fairest way to do that? A blind drawing out of a hat. NC State ended up being the team that went unselected out of that pool, and ended up in the Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl against UCF.

Not sure I buy the "blind drawing" part, at least in a literal sense.

This post was edited on 12/10 3:12 PM by Raising Heel

ACC Bowls

In the past, I have noticed quite a few online Rutgers fans who rather automatically dislike UNC and identify somewhat with MooU. Maybe it is just the color red and having an AG school. But Georgia, Wisconsin, and Nebraska wear red and have an AG school, and their fans do not exhibit such bad taste
Not a flame, but I think a lot of the time when North Carolina is discussed on our board, the topic of your NCAA investigation with players going to bogus classes ( possibly) and having more "scandals" on the horizon....these things poison the threads that may begin as football topics.

and yes, for sure, RU has had more than its share of scandals and bad headlines.....

aside from that I would think this would be a healthy rivalry, or as close to one that could be, for two teams in different leagues.

hoping for a good game.....

This post was edited on 12/10 4:16 PM by wheezer

Originally posted by wheezer:

Not a flame, but I think a lot of the time when North Carolina is discussed on our board, the topic of your NCAA investigation with players going to bogus classes ( possibly) and having more "scandals" on the horizon....these things poison the threads that may begin as football topics.

and yes, for sure, RU has had more than its share of scandals and bad headlines.....

aside from that I would think this would be a healthy rivalry, or as close to one that could be, for two teams in different leagues.

hoping for a good game.....

This post was edited on 12/10 4:16 PM by wheezer
The real "scandal" at UNC, is how our pointy headed academics have done their best to try and pin their sins on the AD at UNC.

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
Rutgers fan here wishing you guys the best. We were hoping for a different bowl destination too but happy to be playing you in an NFL stadium that is indoor so the weather won't be an issue. Hoping for a good and entertaining game. Our game against you on Sept 2 2006 was the start of our special season when we went 11-2.
I was at that game. Ray Rice gashed us and made it look easy.

Of course, I'm sure Rutgers fans are all about that memory, hence me seeing stuff like this article:

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/sports/college/rutgers/2014/12/11/landmark-rutgers-football-season-made-possible-win-vs-unc/20251013/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT